Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Pangu development team today updated its jailbreak for iOS 7.1.x bringing support for the English language and OS X systems, as well as a fix for a bug that caused boot loops on iOS devices.

pangu_jailbreak_ios71x.jpg
The jailbreak was originally released last week and marked the first time that users were able to deploy an untethered jailbreak on any device running iOS 7.1.1 and below. However, the release was only available for Windows systems and contained an option to install "25PP", which is a third party app store for Chinese users. Pangu's newest release now disables installation of 25PP for English users by default.

Pangu's jailbreak tool follows an updated version of the popular Evasi0n jailbreak that was released last year for iOS 7.0 to iOS 7.0.4. However, Evasi0n was also the subject of controversy after Cydia administrator Jay Freeman revealed that evasi0n did not include an official version of Cydia and installed a third party app store called Taig for Chinese users. In response to Freeman's statement, the evad3rs development team announced the removal of the Taig app store from the jailbreak and apologized for the issues caused by its inclusion.

The updated Pangu jailbreak for iOS 7.1.x can be downloaded directly from the project's official website.

Article Link: 'Pangu' Jailbreak for iOS 7.1.x Updated with Support for OS X and English

BeSweeet

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2009
San Antonio, TX
"However, the release was only available for Windows systems and installed '25PP'"

Why do site continue to say that? That was completely optional (that's what the checkbox was for).

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
*pokes website*

The Mac link isn't working for me at the moment. :/

Edit: Ahhh, luckily enough they have mirrors. :D

man3ster

macrumors member
May 12, 2009
Having trouble

Not working right on my iPhone 4. It installs Pangu, but when the phone reboots, the application on the computer times out before the phone gets to the home screen.

MacLC

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2013
Yyyyyesssssssssss :)
It's a Chinese website, it seems, so I'll wait for others to test it first.

Chinese will stick their neck out for those with whom they have Guanxi but everybody else is generally fair game to screw over for personal benefit. Since most people downloading Pangu do so to obtain IP without paying for it, it would not surprise me in the least if Pangu found a way to obtain Pangu downloader's IP without paying for it.

Some advice for dealing with Chinese. If you don't have Guanxi, don't deal.

NNowak19

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2013
Issues

Link downloaded fine, all the steps worked correctly and smoothly until the end when it rebooted my device.. then it wouldn't find my device and said Jailbreak Timed Out.

CrazyForApple

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2012
Buffalo, NY
To me, i don't find jailbreaking is proper news to be on here. I think that because jailbreaking a phone doesn't seem right to me. That is just my opinion and maybe if I tried jailbreaking, it might justify my answer. But I don't think this should be on MacRumors

Last edited:

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
To me, i don't find jailbreaking is proper news to be on here. I think that because jailbreaking a phone doesn't seem tight to me. That is just my opinion and maybe if I tried jailbreaking, it might justify my answer. But I don't think this should be on MacRumors

It doesn't seem tight? How is talking about a piece of software on here for OSX/IOS not part of what Macrumors does? Is flappybirds more appropriate?

OT: The mac version failed while the windows runs fine.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
To me, i don't find jailbreaking is proper news to be on here. I think that because jailbreaking a phone doesn't seem tight to me. That is just my opinion and maybe if I tried jailbreaking, it might justify my answer. But I don't think this should be on MacRumors

Considering you've never jailbroken your phone, you therefore realistically aren't aware of the value a jailbroken phone provides.

I feel jail break news to be of the utmost relevance on a website such as this. If say Apple.com had info on jail breaking, then I'd be a bit suspicious.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Wait. So is this a legit untethered jailbreak?!?!

Yes, this is a legit untethered Jailbreak. I'm running the 1.0 version of this on 7.1.1 without any problems, but I'm actually going to restore and re-jailbreak again, now that there is a legit Mac version.

BL.

ourmountain

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2012

I'll assume you meant "right", not "tight".

What about it isn't right? Did you not purchase your device? Did you not pay for it? Why exactly is it "not right" for someone to have full access to something that they own?

The equivalent is that you buy a house, and the seller says "Look, I know you bought this house. But these two rooms are off limits. Im locking them up tight."

Does that sound right to you? Because that's essentially what you're arguing is "right".

littyboy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
I'll assume you meant "right", not "tight".

What about it isn't right? Did you not purchase your device? Did you not pay for it? Why exactly is it "not right" for someone to have full access to something that they own?

The equivalent is that you buy a house, and the seller says "Look, I know you bought this house. But these two rooms are off limits. Im locking them up tight."

Does that sound right to you? Because that's essentially what you're arguing is "right".

Also depends on why you're jailbreaking. If for downloading pirated apps, that's a different story.

lotzosushi

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2007
Sweet I'll have to try this out on my old iPhone 5. I wonder if they could have waited to save the exploits for an iOS 8 jailbreak instead though....? We're only a few months off.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
"However, the release was only available for Windows systems and installed '25PP'"

Why do site continue to say that? That was completely optional (that's what the checkbox was for).

Because it was still installed just no icon when you remove the check mark

----------

You are right we should have Samsung and kindle stuff here only :rolleyes:
I mean why would people care about reading news of jb of an apple device in an apple forum; it's it like its a samsung vs apple lawsuit or anything.

HangmanSwingset

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Everett, WA
Yes, this is a legit untethered Jailbreak. I'm running the 1.0 version of this on 7.1.1 without any problems, but I'm actually going to restore and re-jailbreak again, now that there is a legit Mac version.

BL.

I lost my jailbreak due to some apps crashing for no reason. Once this came out, I verified with the normal jailbreakers' twitters if it was safe. But I only had it for like 48 hours before re-updating to the beta.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Sweet I'll have to try this out on my old iPhone 5. I wonder if they could have waited to save the exploits for an iOS 8 jailbreak instead though....? We're only a few months off.

That's the great part about this jailbreak. They didn't burn any already-known exploits that could be used for an iOS 8 jailbreak. From another thread on @ion1cgate thread on this in the Jailbreak & Hacks section:

MuscleNerd said a lot with just these two tweets.

(Although using certs like that is out of bounds for us, I’m glad that was used rather than burning something more native and powerful)
https://twitter.com/MuscleNerd/status/481172464009875457

The use of the (expired) enterprise certificate is the most unique part of Pangu JB (but it’s something we avoid for legal reasons)
https://twitter.com/MuscleNerd/status/481171623735607297

They did it in a way that the laws in other parts of the world would come down on them fast & hard and it sounds like they really gave nothing much away.

This was an exploit that was already known, but that the evad3rs avoided for legal reasons (that Apple could have taken them to town on). Nothing that could be used for an iOS8 jailbreak. Other exploits that they could use are still being saved, possibly for that.

BL.

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2012
Because it was still installed just no icon when you remove the check mark

----------

You are right we should have Samsung and kindle stuff here only :rolleyes:
I mean why would people care about reading news of jb of an apple device in an apple forum; it's it like its a samsung vs apple lawsuit or anything.

No, I unchecked it, and it's not showing up in the installed packages. Angelxwind also said you didn't need to remove anything if you didn't have the box checked.

C99

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2014

It's pretty tight to be able to change your user agent and revert back to iOS 6 icons, Dock, and sounds. No more eye-burning home screen and ugly Android-esque charging sound on my iPhone! Other stuff like Terminal and a file manager too… Don't bash it until you try it.

Please, jailbreaking news is one of the things I always wait for. You need to be careful where you get your jailbreaking tools because most of them are illegitimate, and MacRumors always points out the legitimate ones as they arrive.

Last edited:

Coupz

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2013

Sorry but your arguments are bs.
You accepted apples Eula and you accepted to buy a system, where you don't have full access. And your house theory is not right.
When you buy a car, you aren't allowed to get full access to the main chip to get more hp. And if you go to a company to chip your car to get more hp, your warranty is not valid anymore.

Think before you write such wrong things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.