Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

We've seen a steady stream of mockup devices that claim to represent the form factor of the rumored 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch iPhone 6. While these mockups provide a fairly accurate look at Apple's upcoming iPhone hardware, they may not be completely accurate, claims Nikkei (via GforGames).

iphone6-iphone5-compare.jpeg
Though they may reflect the overall design, the iPhone 6 mockups have been produced quickly with low quality materials. This haphazard construction misses a few key design elements, the most notable of which is a curved glass display that Nikkei sources say will seamlessly transition into the aluminum shell that encloses the device.

iphone_6_mockups_gold_gray_silver.jpg
Nikkei sources also say the antenna breaks, shown on the back of some mockups, will not appear in the final version of the iPhone 6. These white-striped lines are thought to mark out the location of the back panels and are not part of the final external design. As a result, the backing on the iPhone 6 may closely resemble the styling of the iPhone 5/5s.

This isn't the first report that claims the iPhone will feature a curved glass display. A report this year from Mac Otakara and an earlier one last year from Bloomberg also claimed the iPhone 6 will ship with a curved display that will lay flush with the phone's round corners.

Apple is rumored to be preparing both a 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch version of the iPhone 6 for launch in September. The devices are thought to feature an A8 processor, an improved camera and a thinner design with oval buttons that are similar to the sixth generation iPod touch. The iPhone may be priced in tiers, with the larger 5.5-inch model costing $100 more than the 4.7-inch version.

Article Link: iPhone 6 Mockups of Low Quality, Antenna Breaks Not in Final Design

snebes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2008
"I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in relief and were suddenly silenced. I fear something wonderful has happened." -- Obiwan

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
Yea I'm not a fan of the white bands so I'm glad they might not really be included.

As for curved glass I've never used it but I don't see anything wrong with flat glass. That is unless the curved glass means edge to edge screen with wrap around design, then I am all for it haha.

Xeyad

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
The devices are thought to feature an A8 processor, an improved camera and a thinner design with oval buttons that are similar to the sixth generation iPod touch. The iPhone may be priced in tiers, with the larger 5.5-inch model costing $100 more than the 4.7-inch version.

sixth generation iPod touch?

grmatt

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010
wouldn't glass all the way to the edges just collect scratches all the time?

It's only saying that the glass will be flush with the aluminum, not that the glass itself will wrap around the edge. If true, it's most likely that the aluminum will wrap around the edge and meet the glass on the front, in sort of a seamless transition.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I had a feeling this was the case. It didn't make sense otherwise.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
It's only saying that the glass will be flush with the aluminum, not that the glass itself will wrap around the edge. If true, it's most likely that the aluminum will wrap around the edge and meet the glass on the front, in sort of a seamless transition.

I know, glass wrapping around the edge (unless unbreakable) is a disaster waiting to happen.

amarcus

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
London, UK
Finally a rumor I can get behind. Now I just need them to tell me they got the dimensions wrong and its actually a lot shorter!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.