Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As we creep closer to the fall release date of the iPhone 6, component leaks are becoming more frequent. While we originally saw the alleged front panel of the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 back in April, 9to5Mac has shared additional photos of the component.

Depicted in both black and white, the front panel in the photos features a slight gloss and somewhat tapered edges, lending credence to both rumors and mockups that have suggested the iPhone 6 will have rounded iPod touch-style corners.

iphone6blackwhitecomparison.jpg
The two front panels in the photos appear to have relocated the front-facing camera hole to the left side of the earpiece, while sensors are located at the top of the device. This is similar to the design of the iPhone 4, which also had a left-sided front-facing camera. Currently, the iPhone 5s's camera is located above the earpiece.

The black front panel was also compared to the front panel of the iPhone 5s, showing the size differences between the two devices.

iphone6iphone5scomparison.jpg
In addition to these photos of the 4.7-inch iPhone's front panel, we have also seen images that depict manufacturing molds, backlight panels, and rear shells, but the latter component may not be from the actual iPhone 6 as a new rumor from Japanese site Nikkei has suggested the finished device may not have the thick antenna breaks that have been depicted on mockups thus far.

Though only the 4.7-inch iPhone front panel has been seen, Apple is expected to be releasing the iPhone 6 in a larger 5.5-inch size as well. It is unknown at this point if the larger iPhone 6 will be released at the same time, as there have been some conflicting reports on its potential launch due to production issues. The most recent rumors indicate a simultaneous release, however.

Both versions of Apple's iPhone 6 are expected to be thinner and lighter than the existing iPhone 5s, with an A8 processor and various camera improvements. Rumors have suggested the larger iPhone will be positioned as the premium version, offering features like optical image stabilization, a higher storage capacity, and a $100 price increase over the 4.7-inch version.

Update 1:10 PM PT: We've updated the information on the front-facing camera hole on the front panels based on new images.

Article Link: Possible 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Front Panel Compared to iPhone 5s

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
how about you guys just make one unified post about allllllll of these little comparison "possible" fronts/backs/shells and just keep adding to that rather than jamming up the front page with the same exact post every other day?

I see people complain about this problem all of the time, and usually I feel they are unjustified and kindof just whiny, but this really is getting ridiculous.

poot1234

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2009
The light shows off the slight bevel on the edges of the glass to be seamless (Sort of like the lumias or nexus 4). That is going to look and feel amazing!

bonaccij

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2008
No, Just hard to see on Black

They are both identical. The sensor is just harder to see on the black one. The Camera hole is an actual cut out... it appears on the left on both screens.

JBaker122586

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
The white face also has a hole to the left of the earpiece in the same place. It's just a little harder to see in this picture.
I'd guess one of those holes is for the proximity or ambient light sensors, and one is for the camera.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
Home button placement on this one looks a little funky, but I can dig it...

Definitely going 4.7 and not 5.5. It's right at the extreme of decent one handed operation.

ricktat

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2013
I hope that it doesn't have the curved glass. These are terrible.

Samsung did this on the Galaxy S3 and switched back to flat on the S4 and S5.

It is impossible to have a screen protector that looks decent. Even protectors with curved edges just aren't the same.:(

hybroid

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2010
how about you guys just make one unified post about allllllll of these little comparison "possible" fronts/backs/shells and just keep adding to that rather than jamming up the front page with the same exact post every other day?

I see people complain about this problem all of the time, and usually I feel they are unjustified and kindof just whiny, but this really is getting ridiculous.

That would not make good business sense. This is a commercial for-profit blog above all. More pageviews, hits and ad impressions generate revenue to keep it going. Otherwise, it just won't survive. Not worth complaining about a few extra clicks to obtain free content.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008

It is impossible to have a screen protector that looks decent. Even protectors with curved edges just aren't the same.:(

I really never understood why people spend all this money on a gorgeous phone only to spend more money covering it up and life proofing it with crappy plastics. Why? I hope it has that glass, it looks sexy as hell.

Naked and not afraid here. Have been with all my phones 4 and up. No regrets and never any damage.

MR.Raul

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
Sweden

MacRumors.

The iPhone is the biggest product...

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
It seemed to take longer, but the part leaks are now becoming more prevalent. I think Timmy gave it a shot to "double down", but no way in stopping it completely these days. Anyways, I like what I see!

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
I really never understood why people spend all this money on a gorgeous phone only to spend more money covering it up and life proofing it with crappy plastics. Naked and not afraid here. Have been with all my phones 4 and up. No regrets and never any damage.

Agree. That is why I always get Apple Care.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010

With sapphire you won't need screen protectors. :cool:

KPJLK

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2008
The iPhone 4 and 5 have a plastic strip around the edge of the screen glass to protect it against chipping but also to prevent lateral light ingress. If the curved edge design is real (and these photos look convincing) then they must have found another way to do this, such as a black/white dye in the bezel areas that runs through the entire depth of the panel.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Nice to see the 4.7 inch version is only marginally larger than the 5s.
My impression from the picture is completely different: This phone looks too tall to go into some of my pockets comfortably. :( I always liked how you could carry the iPhone 4 and 5 in a pocket without really noticing it's there. I wish they would reduce the top and bottom bezels on the 6.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.