Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple appears to be testing its two-factor authentication system on some iCloud.com accounts, asking for a verification code before allowing users with two-factor verification enabled to access various iCloud.com apps.

First noticed by AppleInsider, the two-factor verification system for iCloud.com requires users to enter a verification code sent via SMS or to a trusted iOS device before the iCloud.com versions of Mail, Contacts, Calendar, Reminders, Pages, Numbers, and Keynote can be used.

icloudtwofactorauthentication.jpg
Previously, accessing these apps only required an Apple ID password, but now "Find My iPhone" is the only app that remains accessible without a two-factor verification code. Computers used to access iCloud.com have a "Remember This Browser" option, requiring a verification code to be entered only once.

Originally implemented back in March of 2013, two-factor verification is an opt-in system designed to increase Apple ID account security by requiring identity verification before allowing users to make account changes or purchase content on new devices. It replaces standard security questions with a security code delivered to a trusted device.

At this time, it is unknown if Apple is simply testing the feature with some users or working on a wider rollout for all iCloud.com users with two-factor verification enabled.

Update 3:30 PM PT: Apple appears to have disabled two-factor verification for some iCloud.com accounts that previously had access to the feature, suggesting it may have seen an accidental early launch.

Article Link: Apple Expanding Two-Step Verification to iCloud.com

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
This is good, it's needed to view/edit your Apple ID so why not to access iCloud?

Another layer of security is great.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
This is a step :p in the right direction. I've implemented the two-step on my Apple ID and think it would be welcome on iCloud as well.

shokk

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2008
I can confirm this was requested on my account when I logged into iCloud. It's only a 4-digit PIN, but better than nothing.

OreoMuncher

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2013
All well and good but...

How on earth am i going to use this is school. Our school uses a cart of windows laptops and we have separate computer rooms. And obviously since I'm in school i can't use my phone... What am i going to do? Will there be an option to turn this off? I physically can't use word or powerpoint in school any more, it's too much of a headache, i really need access to iCloud. Oh god.

anyjungleinguy

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2012
Am I interpreting this correctly?

but now "Find My iPhone" is the only app that remains accessible without a two-factor verification code.

Even with 2 factor authentication, an attacker only needs a user's password to log into iCloud.com and then precede to wipe devices from Find My iPhone?

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
How on earth am i going to use this is school. Our school uses a cart of windows laptops and we have separate computer rooms. And obviously since I'm in school i can't use my phone... What am i going to do? Will there be an option to turn this off? I physically can't use word or powerpoint in school any more, it's too much of a headache, i really need access to iCloud. Oh god.

"Computers used to access iCloud.com have a "Remember This Browser" option, requiring a verification code to be entered only once."

Surely this means you can login at home, tick the box and you won't be asked for a code again so you can continue using iCloud at school?

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
"Computers used to access iCloud.com have a "Remember This Browser" option, requiring a verification code to be entered only once."

Surely this means you can login at home, tick the box and you won't be asked for a code again so you can continue using iCloud at school?

I think the OP's point is that their school uses a series of computers on carts, and they won't necessarily have access to the same computer every time. Also, many schools like this clear browser history automatically on logout.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
WOW - I suggested this to Apple feedback when the phones down under got hacked last month. Its what'e required in this hacker world we live in.

Good job Apple!

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
I can hardly remember my password let alone the secert question haha.

lol my family will never understand this .... they already dont get those security questions. my sister for example is always like "huh??? how does it know what my favorite book is????" and my aunt is like "what is an apple id? ... after putting in her gmail account info for like 5 times and getting her apple id blocked" :rolleyes:

bathurstguy

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2009
Am I interpreting this correctly?

Even with 2 factor authentication, an attacker only needs a user's password to log into iCloud.com and then precede to wipe devices from Find My iPhone?

It makes sense not to require second factor authentication for FMiP. If you have lost your iPhone, then how are you going to retrieve the code sent to your iPhone... You really need to think before posting!

Also, worst case if your device is erased, you simply restore from iCloud Backup and change your password. It really isn't that bad TBH.

Last edited:

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
This is a good thing. In this day and age, the more security the better. I won't be surprised though by how many people will not use it unless they have no option out of it.

riskerin

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2013
issue forseen?

What does one do, however, if you are logging onto another computer to iCloud, so you can use Find my iPhone to locate that trusted IOS device they would normally send the verification code to?

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009

Forbidding access to cell phones in the class room is an obsolete policy trying to defend a nearly obsolete educational system over a century old propped up by teachers unions. There is a middle ground to make this work but the teach has to know they are no longer the sole provider of information in the classroom anymore. That went away with a broadband connection into the schools.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.