Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple last week refreshed its iPod touch lineup with a new 16GB model that offers a camera and color options to replace the stripped-down model it introduced last year. After debuting in the US, the new iPod touch today became available internationally, landing in the UK, Germany, Italy and other countries worldwide.

ipod-touch-germany.png
As revealed by iFixit, the new 16GB iPod touch is a lower capacity model of Apple's existing fifth generation iPod touch lineup that was introduced in 2012. The model features a 4-inch display, Apple's A5 processor, a 5-megapixel iSight camera and color choices that include yellow, blue, pink and more. The new 16GB version lowers the entry-level price point to $199, down from $229 for the now-discontinued silver-only model.

Apple traditionally refreshed its iPod lineup during its annual September press event, which often focused on iTunes and music. Apple de-emphasized music in 2013, opting to unveil the iPhone 5s. The Cupertino company is expected to continue this trend in 2014 with the possible unveiling of the 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch iPhone 6. The future of the iPod line remains unclear as sales of the units continue to slide quarterly.

Article Link: Apple Rolls Out New 16 GB iPod Touch Internationally

exizeo

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2014
Looks good.

While it isn't the innovation we were looking for, I'm sure we could all appreciate a lower price point.

Now if only they still offered black/silver...I really liked the colour, just wished it had a camera.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
Hmmm, £159, that's only £30 more than a Nano... a lot more bang for your buck too.

So does this mark the beginning of the end for the Nano? I get that there may still be some people who want the smaller form factor (maybe gym users/runners etc), but I'm thinking that's going to be a rather small minority these days, or at least will be in Apple's view.

Last edited:

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
With the exception of the protruding camera, I find the iPod touch to be the most beautiful device in Apple's current lineup.

Last edited:

El Hikaru

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2013
I want to have one of these!!!
The problem is my iPhone has better spec than them.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
Excellent, Apple!

The iPodTouch is a wonderful economical handheld computer for those of us who don't need a phone, don't have cellular service, don't want the monthly subscription fees, etc. Our family has six iPodTouch and I'm glad it exists because we certainly don't need six phone service plans!

The iPodTouch is a great device.

pondhopper

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2013
somewhere. out there.
Goodness Gracious...

So much innovation that I just can't stand it.
How novel, how creative...
outside the box....
Samsung must be rolling over dead jealous of the outlandish creative thinking.
Whoa look at the stock soar!

bigandtasty

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2006
Spring Cleaning

Apple is just cleaning house and clearing out the backstock of 16gb memory as they move to 32gb as the entry model iPhone.

Here's to hoping anyway.

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
Excellent, Apple!

The iPodTouch is a wonderful economical handheld computer for those of us who don't need a phone, don't have cellular service, don't want the monthly subscription fees, etc. Our family has six iPodTouch and I'm glad it exists because we certainly don't need six phone service plans!

The iPodTouch is a great device.

So why wait till they shrink the capacity and drop the price a litre? If it was that great you would have bought 1 two years ago when the technology was new.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
Apple is just cleaning house and clearing out the backstock of 16gb memory as they move to 32gb as the entry model iPhone.

Here's to hoping anyway.

That's more hope than one believing in God, or Gummy Bear Civilizations for that matter.

obliquity

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2012
Hmmm, £159, that's only £30 more than a Nano... a lot more bang for your buck too.

So does this mark the beginning of the end for the Nano? I get that there may still be some people who want the smaller form factor (maybe gym users/runners etc), but I'm thinking that's going to be a rather small minority these days, or at least will be in Apple's view.

Although I like the idea of getting the full touch screen and such with the iPod touch I still prefer the tiny size of the nano. If only they made the nano in 32GB or 64GB configurations I would be first in line to buy one.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
So why wait till they shrink the capacity and drop the price a litre? If it was that great you would have bought 1 two years ago when the technology was new.

Dude, he lives in the mountains of Vermont, he probably came down to the city and is making the post from a local library. Give him a break.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004

If you pay RRP. Waitrose had the 16GB variety for £79.99 about a month back and I have often seen it on various offers at Amazon under a hundred. The Nano is way overpriced for what it is, especially as Apple's audio reproduction is mediocre at best.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
If you pay RRP. Waitrose had the 16GB variety for £79.99 about a month back and I have often seen it on various offers at Amazon under a hundred. The Nano is way overpriced for what it is, especially as Apple's audio reproduction is mediocre at best.

Agreed, Nano should be dropped down to $99 with a $149 32gb option at this point. I think the price point for the iPod Touch is fair and I'd probably get one for my 10 year old (she has a 4th gen) if the camera was just a little better.

At this point IMO Apple should market the iPod line as a music AND life recording device. I know they would never do this but if they kept the same form factor, stuck in the A7 and increased the camera to 8-12 MP with OIS they could easily market the entry level model at $299 w/16gb ($349 for 32gb etc). The key here is that it's a life recording device without a contract that also plays music, videos and apps. Kids love cameras and with iOS8's camera features this would be the best way to market the iPod in the future.

Too bad I don't think Apple has any faith in the iPod line anymore and the 5th Gen is the end of the line.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.