Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

applecare_plus_icon.jpg
Apple today revised its AppleCare+ support service, lengthening the time new iPhone and iPad owners have to purchase the protection plan from the previous 30-day window to an extended 60-days. The new 60-day AppleCare+ option is available both in store and online in all AppleCare+ regions, with the exception of Japan which still offers the original 30-day window, reports 9to5Mac.

AppleCare+ is a premium warranty service for iPhone and iPad owners, providing warranty support and accidental damage coverage for two years from the date of device purchase. The plan costs $99 and includes two accidental damage replacements that cost $49 per incident for the iPad and $79 for the iPhone.

Apple also is discontinuing the previous AppleCare option that extends warranty service for the iPad and iPhone, but does not provide accidental damage coverage. Going forward, Apple will only offer the standard 90-days of free support that is included with every iPhone or iPad purchase as well as the option to upgrade to two-years of AppleCare+ for $99. This change goes into effect today in the United States, Canada, and Japan.

Apple hopes these changes as well other other future improvements will boost the adoption rate of AppleCare+. To compete with carrier and insurance options, Apple may improve its insurance plans for the iPhone as well as expand AppleCare+ internationally beyond its current coverage regions. The international service now has approximately 30 million subscribers and has brought in more than $2b in revenue since its introduction three years ago.

Article Link: Apple Looks to Boost AppleCare+ Membership With New 60-Day Purchase Window

joshuaclinton

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2014
I don't know why people are paying the carrier insurance. Usually, you pay a monthly fee and still have to pay $50 to replace the phone.

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
Cool. I’ll still probably never get it, but it’s a reasonable improvement to the service.

Euge

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2006
I don't know why people are paying the carrier insurance. Usually, you pay a monthly fee and still have to pay $50 to replace the phone.

The one thing some carrier insurance covers is loss or theft, which AppleCare+ does not cover.

TC400

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
I'm glad to see they are making updates. AppleCare+ seems like a good deal. I recently got it for my parents iPhone 5cs since they are new to the iPhone family. I wanted them to have coverage because they don't treat their phones very nicely. In-fact my dad somehow managed to pop out a clip in his display with in like 3 days... I was able to snap it back in place nothing broke just popped out i popped it back in. But that's when I knew I better "invest" in Applecare + I kinda wish I would of got it for my iPhone 5 because it had battery issues but it would not have paid for its self. Since the battery was only $79.00 or so. But when the new iPhone comes out I am for sure getting AppleCare+ this go around I have gotten it for my iMac it paid for it's self 3x over because I had to get a new LCD. I also got it for my rMBP as well but I have yet to make a claim hopefully I don't.

goodcow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
What happens on day 91 when you need technical support and aren't eligible to purchase AppleCare+ anymore? In the past you were able to buy AppleCare without accidental damage coverage.

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
This also applies to iPod touch and classic. Cost is $59 and incident replacement fee is $29. Also has the 60 day window.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I'm glad to see they are making updates. AppleCare+ seems like a good deal. I recently got it for my parents iPhone 5cs since they are new to the iPhone family. I wanted them to have coverage because they don't treat their phones very nicely. In-fact my dad somehow managed to pop out a clip in his display with in like 3 days... I was able to snap it back in place nothing broke just popped out i popped it back in. But that's when I knew I better "invest" in Applecare + I kinda wish I would of got it for my iPhone 5 because it had battery issues but it would not have paid for its self. Since the battery was only $79.00 or so. But when the new iPhone comes out I am for sure getting AppleCare+ this go around I have gotten it for my iMac it paid for it's self 3x over because I had to get a new LCD. I also got it for my rMBP as well but I have yet to make a claim hopefully I don't.

Are you thinking that AppleCare covers owner abuse? It doesn't. The TAC for AppleCare gives Apple broad authority to either reject a claim that might be the result of reckless use of the product, or to subject the claim to a service fee. The vague yet complex terms of these extended warranty policies put all of the authority to determine what is covered into the hands of the company. People who buy these policies should know that, and also know that they are huge profit centers for the sellers.

hybroid

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2010
They need to announce Applecare+ in the UK. Still no damage protection here...

goodcow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
With Macs, it's a year. With iOS devices, it was 30 days. Now it's 60.

Incorrect. With iOS devices it was also a year, for standard AppleCare by calling AppleCare directly. It was 30 days for AppleCare+.

AppleCare was cheaper and for people who aren't clumsy, it was a better deal. This is yet another Tim Cook era money grab.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
Does it rub anybody else wrong that you have to pay to enroll and the have to pay for incident replacement? And that they limit it to 2? And doesn't and out of warranty iPhone replacement cost $199 (16 GB)? It used to. This just doesn't seem like a great deal to me.

jmh600cbr

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2012
The plan costs $99 and includes two accidental damage replacements that cost $49 per incident for the iPad and $79 for the iPhone.

This is backwards. It's $50 for iPhone replacement and only $79 for iPad. Or at least that was my experience with iPhone 5 at Apple store in canada

----------

Wait, I thought the warranty on iPhones is 1 year?

:confused:

90 days on-the-phone support and software support. 1 year for faulty hardware. This article has multiple errors present.

Edit for clarity

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Does it rub anybody else wrong that you have to pay to enroll and the have to pay for incident replacement? And that they limit it to 2? And doesn't and out of warranty iPhone replacement cost $199 (16 GB)? It used to. This just doesn't seem like a great deal to me.

I sure does, but then all consumer products warranties are a rip.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
Incorrect. With iOS devices it was also a year, for standard AppleCare by calling AppleCare directly. It was 30 days for AppleCare+.

AppleCare was cheaper and for people who aren't clumsy, it was a better deal. This is yet another Tim Cook era money grab.

I'm tacking onto your comment a bit here to clarify for everyone:

This just allows you to purchase AppleCare+ within 60 days instead of 30 days. The terms and coverage hasn't changed for AppleCare+, but you can't buy AppleCare for iDevices anymore.

Jambalaya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2013
UK
It needs to be much much cheaper. It was a no brainer for my kids to take it with their student discount and a no brainer for me to skip it at full price.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
It's no surprise Apple is opening up the enrollment window. Extended warranties like Apple Care are highly profitable. A lot of buyers can't stomach spending another $99 immediately after spending $200-900 on their iDevice, but give them a little more time to digest the bill + a scary last minute "are you covered" email and I bet Apple herds in a few more sheep. Free money for Apple.

But statistically, unless the buyer is a complete klutz or abuses his or her items it always a better bet to "self insure" against accidents and rely on a CC's free extended warranty for actual product failures. (Yes, yes, I know you all have your personal tales of how an extended warranty here or there paid for itself in spades. But the odds are against you and for the house in the long term just like at a Vegas craps table.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
It's no surprise Apple is opening up the enrollment window. Extended warranties like Apple Care are highly profitable. A lot of buyers can't stomach spending another $99 immediately after spending $200-900 on their iDevice, but give them a little more time to digest the bill + a scary last minute "are you covered" email and I bet Apple herds in a few more sheep. Free money for Apple.

But statistically, unless the buyer is a complete klutz or abuses his or her items it always a better bet to "self insure" against accidents and rely on a CC's free extended warranty for actual product failures. (Yes, yes, I know you all have your personal tales of how an extended warranty here or there paid for itself in spades. But the odds are against you and for the house in the long term just like at a Vegas craps table.

It was nice getting the glass back replaced at a (probably) discounted rate when I dropped my 4s on some tile after it had fallen out of my front pocket, but if I wasn't within the 30 day window I would have probably tried to replace it myself. Now I have a case and I know better than to keep my phone in my front pocket. :D

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
This is backwards. It's $50 for iPhone replacement and only $79 for iPad. Or at least that was my experience with iPhone 5 at Apple store in canada

----------

90 days on-the-phone support and software support. 1 year for faulty hardware. This article has multiple errors present.

Edit for clarity

Yes I believe you are correct. My iPhone is a $49 replacement cost on the Applecare +.

What some don't realize is that this is an accident type warranty like they sell at Best Buy and through carriers. Normal 1 year warranty is for defects/issues. Applecare + extends that to 2 years (of free fixes/replacements with defects or other issues) as well as 2 years of "oh no, I dropped my phone and cracked the screen or dropped it in the pool type coverage" at a $49 per incident replacement cost (2 replacements max).

I bought it for my 5 and have had the phone replaced under coverage for a camera lens issue after the initial year. I have not used the $49 replacement, but like the peace of mind as I don't use a case of any sort.

On my wife's 5, we got it at Best Buy and pay $14.99 a month warranty which is a little steep. Unlimited replacements, which after a year we did when she cracked her screen.

I will probably get this again for my 6.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011

It's a fair deal, not a great one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.