Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today expanded its list of automobile manufacturer partners that plan to support CarPlay in future models, adding a number of brands from the Fiat Chrysler group: Abarth, Alfa Romeo, Chrysler, Dodge, Fiat, Jeep, and Ram. Also officially joining the list of CarPlay partners today is Mazda (via Wired). These additions follow a recent announcement by Audi, which plans to integrate Apple's CarPlay system into its vehicles beginning in 2015.

carplay_3.jpg

These new partners join existing CarPlay partners Mercedes-Benz, Volvo, BMW, Ford, Hyundai, GM, and Honda, which are introducing CarPlay compatible vehicles before the end of the year, and a number of other brands promising future support. Besides new cars, Alpine and Pioneer also are adding CarPlay support to their aftermarket consoles, allowing owners of existing automobiles to adopt Apple's in-dash car technology.

CarPlay uses an automobile's built-in dashboard display to provide hands-free operation of your iPhone. Drivers will be able to take advantage of the Siri-powered technology to make calls, receive messages, get directions and listen to music while keeping their eyes on the road.

Article Link: Apple Adds Several New CarPlay Partners, Including Fiat Chrysler Brands and Mazda

lewisd25

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
I just bought a new Jeep Cherokee...Jeep had better offer an upgrade for current owners of Uconnect.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I'm just looking forward showing off what a daring, on-the-edge-living driver I am…

0i6vFaZ.gif

Last edited:

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
haha so much for the argument on here that 'luxury brands' only will use the Apple system and the cheaper ones will use Android.

I kinda hope they will have a system that offers both, perhaps something that will automatically switch between the iOS and Android version depending on the phone OS you use?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Cool. Considering that the 2013 model Mazda I just bought didn't even come with bluetooth I look forward to experiencing Apple CarPlay sometime around 2020.

:confused:

Forbius

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2014
NYC
It seems that all brands will now rush to support both CarPlay and Android Auto, fearing to be surpassed by their competitors. And that's great if it means that we'll get both solutions in most cars quickly.

Forbius

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2014
NYC
switch between the iOS and Android version depending on the phone OS you use?

knowing that both OSes run on the phones, there won't be much to switch from. Only different protocols to support, very easy to implement.

camnchar

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
Cool. Considering that the 2013 model Mazda I just bought didn't even come with bluetooth I look forward to experiencing Apple CarPlay sometime around 2020.

Yeah, the UI on my 2014 Mazda6 is terrible, terrible, terrible. They should have been first on board with CarPlay.

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
I just bought a new Jeep Cherokee...Jeep had better offer an upgrade for current owners of Uconnect.

My parents just bought a new jeep as well. They love it.

Sadly, Jeep is starting to stand-out as one of the few brands that haven't even announced (to my knowledge) any intentions of incorporating CarPlay into their fleet. I don't know if they ever intend to do so.

Frederico Luna

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2012
Recife - Brazil
As a brazilian, I consider this great news :) Fiat is the leading car manufacturer here in Brazil and I currently own a Fiat Punto.

I hope my next car, which I'll probably buy in about 3 years, will have Carplay.

Forbius

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2014
NYC
Here is a comparison between CarPlay and Android Auto Support :

862684carplayvsandroidauto.jpg

So 29 for Carplay and 28 for Android Auto, for the moment.

ScottHammet

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
Look Closer

My parents just bought a new jeep as well. They love it.

Sadly, Jeep is starting to stand-out as one of the few brands that haven't even announced (to my knowledge) any intentions of incorporating CarPlay into their fleet. I don't know if they ever intend to do so.

....Ummm...the announcement lists Jeep as on board.

Prototypical

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
Nebraska
Is VW looking into using carplay ?

Seems weird that Audi would support it but VW wouldn't. I'm hoping this is why VW is holding out on us for the current 2015 head units (US only gets the "old" style setup while Europe/ROW gets the 8" Discovery Pro). Maybe mid-2015 VWs will come CarPlay-ready.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
It would be ideal, as a consumer, if I went to buy a car and regardless of brand (as long as the model of car had the hardware) that I was able to choose which car OS I wanted.

Nothing worse as a consumer to be like, oh, I really want the Honda but it has CarPlay and I am an avid Android user, or vise versa,

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Still no Porsche? Come on already! Hope to get it in my 2017 Cayman GTS!

Also, no upgrade announcements? Should be an easy firmware update for most modern cars.

JBaker122586

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007

Wha? My 2012 Mazda 3 has bluetooth with bluetooth audio support.

It's not a great system (doesn't show Artist/Song title in the HUD, address book set up sucks, etc.), but it works for playing audio or making calls from my phone.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
It would be ideal, as a consumer, if I went to buy a car and regardless of brand (as long as the model of car had the hardware) that I was able to choose which car OS I wanted.

Nothing worse as a consumer to be like, oh, I really want the Honda but it has CarPlay and I am an avid Android user, or vise versa,

There's no reason that they can't implement both on the same head unit. It's just a set of protocols.

Cigsm

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2010
It wasn't just "luxury" brands that were announced from the start.

haha so much for the argument on here that 'luxury brands' only will use the Apple system and the cheaper ones will use Android.

I kinda hope they will have a system that offers both, perhaps something that will automatically switch between the iOS and Android version depending on the phone OS you use?

----------

I'm just considering it Vaporware at this point. This was announced in 2013 - over a year ago - and we've yet to see it in ANY car or aftermarket product. What's the hold up?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.