Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Civilization Revolution 2, the newest iteration of the popular strategy game franchise for mobile devices, has launched on the App Store. Like the first title, Civilization Revolution 2 puts the player in the role of a popular ruler, challenging other factions as they attempt to advance their civilizations throughout the course of history in a turned-based format.

Key Features:
- New Units - strengthen your military might with brand new combat units including Aircraft Carriers, Jet Fighters and Special Forces.
- New Technology - race to science supremacy with new technology such as: Lasers, Modern Medicine and Information Technology
- New Buildings & Wonders - grow and expand your civilization like never before with new buildings and wonders including Nuclear Power Plant, The Red Cross and Silicon Valley
- Enhanced 3D Graphics - updated 3D graphics taking full advantage of iOS devices graphical capability
- Scenario Challenges - reenact historic events and battles in the Scenario Mode
According to 2K, Civilization Revolution 2 is the first game in the series to be developed exclusively for mobile devices, as the original Civilization Revolution title came out on gaming consoles alongside iOS devices. 2K will also be releasing Civilization: Beyond Earth this fall on the Mac, which is a follow up to the popular Civilization V and Civilization IV.

civrev2.jpg
Civilization Revolution 2 is a $14.99 app and is available now on the App Store. [Direct Link]

The original Civilization Revolution for iOS can also be downloaded for $2.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 2K Launches 'Civilization Revolution 2' for iOS Devices

omenatarhuri

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2010
15 bucks! Looks like game prices are hiking up.

I played the first revolution a bit and enjoyed it to a point. To me it's replay value is far far far far far lower than Civ V however, because of the simplified gameplay. To me, it was quite a bit less enjoyable to play overall due to the controls (mouse vs. finger) and simplicity of the game. It seems these points have not been addressed in Revolution 2.

So my recommendation, go with Civ V if you have a powerful PC/Mac at your disposal, the experience should be much better.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
$14.99 is very steep for an iOS game, even for an A+ title. I think I'll wait till it goes on sale!

beanbaguk

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Europe
Initially excited to see this title, I am let down by the price.

While I'm happy to pay a premium for an iOS game, 2K are charging far too much for this. $9.95 should be the absolute max for a premium game.

I'll also wait until it's on sale.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Well, I don' have a problem with the price - if you ask me it's better that people get out of the habit of expecting iPad games to be super cheap, from the point of view of someone who wants console/PC quality games on them.

This game, however, looks pants. I couldn't stand the original, with its irritating graphical and audio style and simplified, boring gameplay. I can see they've kept at least one of those.

Deedlez

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2011
UK
Initially the price seems off-putting; but if that's the total amount you'll ever need to pay then actually I fully support it.

Pre-mobile apps this would have been a very good price, e.g. on a DS or console. And if it means no in-app-purchases to unlock technologies or units then I'm all for it and hope that it's a success so that the same model is used elsewhere (I'm looking at you, Plants v Zombies 2!).

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
If the AI is good then $15 is reasonable given the replay value. I would hope for free content updates though.

kenosecon

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2012
Yeah these guys crying about the prices are pretty lame. This is a game Not an app. A game that would cost 60$ on a console. And You cann get it for a quarter of the price and multiplatform. Playable for the rest of your lives without needing any console .

SolarShane

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2014
and people wonder why everything is freemium nowadays.:rolleyes:

I know, right?

The forum:
"Games are too much!"
*freemium comes along*
"Go to hell, freemium games! I'll gladly pay for it"
*premium-priced game comes along*
"Too expensive!!!!!!"

Danindub

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2008
yeah, not that bothered with the price.

Game looks great, and I'm going to give it a try. I also want to make sure developer sees benefit from releasing it for iOS (at first, at least) :)

beanbaguk

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Europe
I know, right?

The forum:
"Games are too much!"
*freemium comes along*
"Go to hell, freemium games! I'll gladly pay for it"
*premium-priced game comes along*
"Too expensive!!!!!!"

Not quite sure that's the point. I would suggest they offer it for free to allow users to try it out as a demo and then charge in an in-app purchase to open up the game fully.

I'm not shy to paying for licensed software (I pay for Adobe Creative Cloud, Microsoft Office for Mac, etc...) but I need to try it first before paying out the big money.

I don't like the idea of forking out for an expensive game and then realising it's a bit crap and you've lost $15. I did this same with Xcom. I paid a premium price for it (which I had no problem with), and then didn't like the game play. I asked for a refund which was not accepted so I've gone and lost my money.

I think developers need to adapt their pricing models and at least offer a demo platform for users to try before forking out their money.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
And if it means no in-app-purchases to unlock technologies or units then I'm all for it and hope that it's a success so that the same model is used elsewhere (I'm looking at you, Plants v Zombies 2!).

Huh? PvZ2 is a model of how to do freemium right. I've spent a grand total of £0.00 in that game and I've completed all of the content to date.

In fact if there's anything wrong with the game, it's that it's just too easy to beat and unchallenging. So there's no incentive to actually spend $/£/€ for boosts etc.

I don't like the idea of "cheating" in games which is what fermium purchases sometimes feel like.

bpcookson

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
MA
Not quite sure that's the point. I would suggest they offer it for free to allow users to try it out as a demo and then charge in an in-app purchase to open up the game fully.

I'm not shy to paying for licensed software (I pay for Adobe Creative Cloud, Microsoft Office for Mac, etc...) but I need to try it first before paying out the big money.

I don't like the idea of forking out for an expensive game and then realising it's a bit crap and you've lost $15. I did this same with Xcom. I paid a premium price for it (which I had no problem with), and then didn't like the game play. I asked for a refund which was not accepted so I've gone and lost my money.

I think developers need to adapt their pricing models and at least offer a demo platform for users to try before forking out their money.

I agree with you, but I hesitate to associate with you given your dislike of XCOM. ;)

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
Huh? PvZ2 is a model of how to do freemium right. I've spent a grand total of £0.00 in that game and I've completed all of the content to date.

In fact if there's anything wrong with the game, it's that it's just too easy to beat and unchallenging. So there's no incentive to actually spend $/£/€ for boosts etc.

I don't like the idea of "cheating" in games which is what fermium purchases sometimes feel like.

I can agree on this. I spent way longer playing PVZ1 and actually enjoyed playing it. I ate through PV2 like a stale biscuit; more out of hunger than pleasure since it was far too easy. :(

If it's a game I really like I'll often play it all the way through first before I buy anything (as a sort of donation to the developer) before I delete it.

----------

Looks good! $15 is not an issue. Sorry folks, if you can't pay, then you can't play.

This. I just wish there was a way to play a demo.

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
I really loved the original CivRev - I absolutely played it to death. I actually bought it twice - once for iPad, once for iPhone; that's how much I loved it.

This new version is total pants. It is the exact same game as the last version, wrapped in a new and very, very awkward to use 3D shell. The selection and movement interface is really awful - you never really know what your tap is going to do (am I going to select the unit I tap on, or is there some other unit selected that I can't see and I'm going to command them to trek across the world to here?). That makes it really slow and difficult to actually play the game.

At the same time, they haven't expanded at all on the limitations of the original CivRev. There are no new gameplay mechanics (like Religion) or more complex diplomacy options (like defensive pacts, alliances, or open borders), and you still can't destroy cities.

This is clearly just a new skin on the existing, very old game. The AI is exactly the same; it's just as predictable as before. Every civilisation you meet will declare war on you - no matter how far away you are (even if you have no borders or are totally inaccessible from their region), how much bigger or stronger you are. It gets tiring quickly, and CivRev players learn to avoid other civilisations very quickly. That still happens in this game.

In short: I am massively disappointed. This is a 3D skin update for the original, tired CivRev. It's actually been made a significantly worse game by the new control system. Save your money and buy the original - it's much more enjoyable.

nikko1423

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2012

Basically, you made me think of iOS 8. Videos for example gameplay, and isn't there a demo feature? I think a lot of people won't realize how bad they needed that small video(s) ;)

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Remember when Trism was released for $5 and everybody was like "OMG, that price is so crazy low!"

I remember that before the iOS App Store, mobile games started at $20 and just went up from there.

Having said that, this game doesn't sound very fun to me. I like my games to be real-time, not turn-based, thanks.

Oh, also, was I the only one who thought this sentence from the description sounded hilarious?

New Technology - race to science supremacy with new technology such as: Modern Medicine

That's right: Modern Medicine is Scientific Supremacy. There's absolutely no way we could improve on it. We may as well just shut down all of our medical research because we have already achieved the absolute best that is possible. Cancer, heart disease, and other rampant medical issues that modern medicine hasn't solved yet? There's absolutely nothing we can do about them; just give up.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
Remember when Trism was released for $5 and everybody was like "OMG, that price is so crazy low!"

I remember that before the iOS App Store, mobile games started at $20 and just went up from there.

Funny, I remember mobile games starting at £2.99...and staying at £2.99 because all you could buy was a Tetris and Pac-man clone. You know, because if you didn't you were stuck with a 30-second demo.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Congrats on the price! The race-to-the-bottom on pricing has broken too many games. I might have to pick this up. No way would I have bothered with it if it was free-to-play or had microtransactions.

----------

But this.. Nah.. Kids version of Civ. :(

Or a gateway drug to get folk to buy the big PC/Mac versions! (the first one had that effect on me)

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
This is a great game at a more than fair price considering I used to pay $60 for a lot of crappy console games. I also find it more fun than the Mac version cos of its simplicity. I just hope they fixed the mutiplayer bugs.

----------

I really loved the original CivRev - I absolutely played it to death. I actually bought it twice - once for iPad, once for iPhone; that's how much I loved it.

This new version is total pants. It is the exact same game as the last version, wrapped in a new and very, very awkward to use 3D shell. The selection and movement interface is really awful - you never really know what your tap is going to do (am I going to select the unit I tap on, or is there some other unit selected that I can't see and I'm going to command them to trek across the world to here?). That makes it really slow and difficult to actually play the game.

At the same time, they haven't expanded at all on the limitations of the original CivRev. There are no new gameplay mechanics (like Religion) or more complex diplomacy options (like defensive pacts, alliances, or open borders), and you still can't destroy cities.

This is clearly just a new skin on the existing, very old game. The AI is exactly the same; it's just as predictable as before. Every civilisation you meet will declare war on you - no matter how far away you are (even if you have no borders or are totally inaccessible from their region), how much bigger or stronger you are. It gets tiring quickly, and CivRev players learn to avoid other civilisations very quickly. That still happens in this game.

In short: I am massively disappointed. This is a 3D skin update for the original, tired CivRev. It's actually been made a significantly worse game by the new control system. Save your money and buy the original - it's much more enjoyable.

Thanks for sharing. Have you tried multiplayer yet? I found the CivRev version too buggy to play with friends but when it worked it was a blast. There's nothing more fun than nuking your friends.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Seriously, a good quality game is worth the money. If you can't afford it then go play the freemium garbage. Funny how people blow tons of money at the bar or spend 4-5 bucks on a cup of coffee but complain complain complain about shelling out for a quality experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.