Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marneus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2005
Ok, hear me out on this one cos my mate reckons he can pull it off on a PC.

But, given my phone (K700i) talks to my iBook (1.33ghz, 1gb ram) with no problems at all, I use Salling Clicker, my computer pauses my music during incoming calls and everything...can I use my iBook AS a headset? I.E, stream the audio out through my stereo and use the inbuilt microphone to talk?

Or am I deluded?

Thanks in anticipation.

NicP

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2005
I know that it can be done on windows, ive done it. Cant help you do it on the ibook though sorry :(

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2004
UK
I'm a bit confused - you want to actually look like this?????:eek:
man_with_laptop.gif

Marneus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2005
Ok...I think you all misunderstood my question :p

I want to fool my phone into thinking that my computer is a headset, or at least this is the only way I can think of doing it, unless there are others.

Make it so my incoming calls can be heard through the laptop speakers and so I can use the laptop microphone to talk into.

Like I said, i've heard of it being able to be done on Windows, so I don't see why Tiger in all it's glory should have a problem, it's just a case of figuring out how.

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
There's a Bluetooth function called 'audio gateway', which I believe allows you to do this.

I tried it on my Windows XP Pro laptop a while back. Basically in my old apartment we had crappy mobile coverage, so I would usually place the mobile high up on a shelf. I used to connect the laptop to it via bluetooth audio gateway and use a headset on laptop to answer calls.

I believe it worked OK, can't remember. :eek:

If your iBook/Phone supports audio gateway, you should be able to do what you want.

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
Danksi said:
Basically in my old apartment we had crappy mobile coverage, so I would usually place the mobile high up on a shelf.
The other option, is if you have a plug in the back of your phone (antenna plug), you can often tape a wire there and run it to some aluminium foil. A little primitive, but might double the signal.
The concept of this thread is pretty cool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.