Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ka-spot

Suspended
May 23, 2012
Sofia, Bulgaria
hahahaha... good one!

lets put aside the design... (samsung can't even get close to apple's).

but android is total *!@#*&... i'll always prefer iOS. why the %@$# they are trying to convince me to use their &@#* when it's obvious that it IS total (#*& and I love Apple's Design and OS ?

it's rhetorical. no bad fillings. thank you.

BCWorld

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2011
Atlanta GA
Funny Commercial. This only thing is, its not true. I have used an iPhone for many years and have never been a "wall hugger" and I never will be. Just Turn down the brightness and you'll be fine. :) :apple:

movieator

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2009
LA, CA
None of this changes the fact that mobile battery tech is still lagging. Call me when any phone lasts at least a full day with heavy usage, then we can talk.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
I despise Samsung, and their crap ads.

However, I have to admit they have a point about the iPhone battery life. It's just not good enough.

A phone needs to be able to last all day with moderate use.

assasinezio4

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2014
thats why i have stopped to use iPhone.battery life really horrible.s5 battery survive 24 hours or more but i can't finish my day with iPhone.hope apple do something about battery life on iphone6..

TheIguana

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2004
Canada
I agree. There's a bit of truth to it. 3 years ago my phone outlasted the battery life of any of my friends with SGS II's... but now all my friends with SGS5 get through the day and I need to carry a battery pack charger around.

One thing apple continues to stagnate on is battery life, while everyone else has moved ahead. They made it a priority on they laptops, but it seems it's back burner for the phone.

Apple's priority is clear... thinness over battery life

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
Oh Sammy. Have you never heard of limiting Background App-Refresh to only your most important apps, or Limiting each App's access to Cellular Data? All options available on iOS7 that make my iPhone 5Ss batter last actually pretty damn long.

Why is having a replaceable battery so important when for the same price as a replacement battery, I can buy a portable battery backup charger and stick it in my bag when traveling?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/714a8hIWYaL._SL1500_.jpg (- Just saying)

But the commercial is cute...except that whole envy slant you keep trying to make us believe is true. Trust us, no one with an iPhone envies a giant plastic pimpled phone with a fingerprint reader that doesn't work and a bunch of gimmicky features that no one uses. Not backflips, not dance moves, not even a guy flipping a stylus in the air will twirling in a 360 will make a difference. Nope. :apple:

Last edited:

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
In theory, if Samsung owners all carried spare batteries, that's how it'd be.
In practice, the vast majority of Samsung owners don't and their battery life (and need to find power outlets) is pretty similar to that of iPhones.

Sure there are a few people with spare Samsung batteries, but then again there are also a few people with iPhone battery cases or external batteries.

ps45

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2010
I went into that ad thinking it would annoy me because Samsung have nothing on the iPhone.

I came out of it thinking: actually they have a point.

After a few moments more, I realized that the extreme situation they're highlighting is actually mostly limited to the one they showed - i.e. an airport.

So I reverted to my original position. You can't change the battery, but there are 3rd party accessories that offer backup power, so I'll stick with the iPhone. Nice try though, Samsung.

lovewd

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2013
There is SOME truth to this. But when it comes down to it, battery life depends on how you use your phone. If you use it super heavily of course it's constantly going to be needing to be plugged in. So I guess this commercial was directed toward iPhone users who use there phones really heavily. And was it just me or were the iPhone 4s's in that commercial?

chrisrosemusic1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2012
Northamptonshire, England
Sad part is, the iPhone battery life isn't that bad. Who needs promotion when Samsung does Apple's promotion for them? :p

It really is awful compared to other devices. I charge mine twice a day and over night and I wouldn't exactly say I'm a heavy user. It's the biggest problem I have and I still don't want to move over to Android (again) because I love my Apple ecosystem. Just hoping it's improved within the larger body of the 6.

g88bo

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2013
apples battery life sucks. but it wasn't always that way. when the iphone 4 came out, i could almost reach two or one day with a lot of usage with one charge. but the software got more power hungry but the battery didn't follow that trend...

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Strange for them to be attacking based off battery life when their Galaxy phones usually have inferior battery life to iPhones. Unless they're promoting how their users can carry around an extra battery and swap them when one dies.

Of course one could probably stretch a Galaxy S5's battery life by turning off lots tweaks and widgets and such going on or dimming the screen. But then you're turning off the same features that Android users tout as making it superior to iOS.

Guess Samsung needed something to try and lift those sagging S5 sales.

chrisrosemusic1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2012
Northamptonshire, England
Oh Sammy. Have you never heard of limiting Background App-Refresh to only your most important apps, or Limiting each App's access to Cellular Data? All options available on iOS7 that make my iPhone 5Ss batter last actually pretty damn long.

Why is having a replaceable battery so important when for the same price as a replacement battery, I can buy a portable battery backup charger and stick it in my bag when traveling?

But the commercial is cute...except that whole envy slant you keep trying to make us believe is true. Trust us, no one with an iPhone envies a giant plastic pimpled phone with a fingerprint reader that doesn't work and a bunch of gimmicky features that no one uses. Not backflips, not dance moves, not even a guy flipping a stylus in the air will twirling in a 360 will make a difference. Nope. :apple:

Haha xD Made me lol with your final sentence. Very true though, I never ever look enviously towards any Android phone :)

Ed Stark

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2014
"Is this the new Samsung?" Come on, this is so dumb. No one would say something like that, because Samsung releases 30 Galaxy models per year and nobody cares if there is Galaxy Nr. 27 with 512mb more RAM.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
One of these days Samsung will get around to using their ads to highlight the benefits of using their products and the great features that come along with them. In the mean time they will continue to come across as children in their marketing campaigns.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Apple ads: Shows off the potential of the product.
Samsung ads: Insults the competitor and the users, a competitor they copied off of.

Talk to the butt Sammy, cause that's all that will be listening as I walk away from your products.

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2013
Though I've never used anything but an iPhone, I can speak from my parents' experience. They both have S3s, and they seem to have genuinely terrible battery life, as they are always going to the charger.

Meanwhile, on my 4s, I've managed to get 12 hours on a single charge easily, WITH a jailbreak. But I do wish Apple would make the battery larger.

cgc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2003
Utah
Maybe that will help push Apple towards improving the battery. I see no negatives about increasing battery life.

Weight and size are two negatives with increased battery life unless Apple finds a way to get more power out of the same volume.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
In the commercial they show a charging station at an airport. I have been to the airports in Chicago, DC and NY. All of those charging stations say samsung. Hmm....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.