Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

class77

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
My sister travels a lot. She has decided to buy a new tablet and is choosing between an iPad Mini and a Samsung Tab S. She has been told that traveling in Europe, people with iOS devices have more problems hooking up to free wifi than people running Android devices.

Is this true or is this some Android propaganda? The last thing I want to do is steer her toward a iPad Mini only to have it underperform.

TIA

petvas

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
My sister travels a lot. She has decided to buy a new tablet and is choosing between an iPad Mini and a Samsung Tab S. She has been told that traveling in Europe, people with iOS devices have more problems hooking up to free wifi than people running Android devices.

Is this true or is this some Android propaganda? The last thing I want to do is steer her toward a iPad Mini only to have it underperform.

TIA

Europe is a continent and has many many countries, so nobody can generalize like that! Every country is different and has different culture, mentality, laws, and WiFi infrastructure!
Here in Germany I never had an issue with my iOS devices connecting to WiFi networks..

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
I really doubt there is any difference in ability to connect to free wifi. Why would there be? I don't ever remember having problems connecting to free wifi with an iOS device whilst travelling around various countries in Europe.

I guess its possible there might be better apps on Android for discovering free wifi hotspots, but that's only a guess.

ephemeralreason

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2012
I've been to the UK and Italy with my US iPad 2 and iPhone 4s and 5s - just one hotel in Italy but three in the UK. Never had a problem connecting to wifi at any of the hotels. As others have noted, Europe is a big place but my limited experience has been excellent with the iPad.

Dweez

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2011
Down by the river
Suggest to her that the tablet she likes the best is the one best suited to her travels. Wifi is wifi is wifi, and I'd wager a guess that perhaps an individual had issues with wifi somewhere in Europe and it somehow grew to become urban legend. Or not. :)

rsquirrel

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2014
Well I bought an ipad mini because I found out that my HP Slate would not work in Europe.

I'm happy with my choice.

I'd check out the Samsung boards and see if anyone else has reported problems.

class77

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
Europe is a continent and has many many countries, so nobody can generalize like that! Every country is different and has different culture, mentality, laws, and WiFi infrastructure!
Here in Germany I never had an issue with my iOS devices connecting to WiFi networks..
Sister has traveled everywhere from England to Greece and all points in between in the last year. She has hit about 11 countries and I was trying not to have to ask specifically about each one. I'm well aware that's only about 1/4 of the countries making up Europe, but I thought asking that way might encourage people who had traveled all over to respond.

Thanks for the replies.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.