Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

silverback66

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2005
CO
I currently have an imac G5 which I think is absolultey great, save for one thing...I wish I could take it with me. I've been thinking about selling the imac once the intel ibooks (or possibly powerbooks) come out, but at the same time I'm a bit on the fence about it all. The design of the imac is one of the coolest l've ever seen and there are definatley advantages to having a 20" screen as I do edit my films on here. Though for whatever reson, I just can't write stting at a desk. I had a PC laptop back when I was in college and it was great being able to recline and work at the same time. Basically, what do you all see as the pro's and con's of making such a transition? Thanks for your help!

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
You have become hooked on the iMac for reasons that involve design and ease of doing your editing work. Longing for the days when you enjoyed portability is the missing ingredient here.

You will be substituting one void for another if you sell the iMac and purchase an iBook. Why not keep your current setup and enhance it by purchasing an iBook when finances permit, thereby enabling writing skills to return while still having the big screen on your desk?

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
I agree w/ Deepdale...

You love your iMac for some important reasons. Honestly, it doesn't feel like it can compete w/ my iBook. But that's why I have both-- iMac for comfort and more power, iBook for on the road, lighter loads.

Wait a bit, iBooks can be had for relatively cheap (especially if you go for a refurb, or if new ones come out then all the others get cheaper :p).

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
I'm gonna go against the grain here and say do it!! What does it matter that it's the coolest design if it blocks your creative juices? You could get yourself a 17" PowerBook and you wouldn't lose any of the screen real-estate that you have with the iMac. Make the switch as soon as you can, you'll be much happier.:)

stevep

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2004
UK
Biggest you can afford PowerBook + 21" Dell for your desktop. Sell your iMac now before the prices drop after the Mac-Intel releases (hurriedly puts on bullet-proof vest).

VanMac

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2005
Rampaging Tokyo
I have the 12" iBook and love it.

However, I''m saving for a powermac to do the heavy stuff. I think you really need both, so just save your pennies. Keep your iMac, and keep looking for deals on an iBook. They are very capable machines, and the portability is great.

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
I've been thinking along the same lines - although I'd prefer to keep the iMac and have a small iBook for the road/lounging.

I'm not sure how I could keep the two sync'd up with file, calendar etc... is the ONLY way to do this to use .Mac and iSync (other than manually copying stuff)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.