Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone_5s_battery-250x277.jpg
A recent survey suggests consumers are looking forward to improved battery life as well as a bigger screen in the iPhone 6. But according to Chinese media reports (via GforGames), Apple's next-generation iPhone may disappoint with a lower-than-expected battery capacity that will provide only a slight boost from the battery used in the iPhone 5s.

Chinese media sources claim the 4.7-inch version of the iPhone 6 will ship with a battery between 1,800 and 1,900 mAh, while the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 will include a 2,500 mAh battery. Though larger than the 1,560 mAh battery in the iPhone 5s, these modest capacity increases place Apple behind competitors with similar sized handsets, and leave some wondering if Apple is keeping the battery too small in order to design an ultra-slim device. The larger screens on the iPhone 6 will naturally create more volume for larger batteries while maintaining a slim profile, but the displays themselves are likely to require increased battery to support the higher resolutions.

Of course, these rumored battery capacities for the iPhone provide only part of the equation, with Apple's tight software-hardware integration also contributing to overall battery life. It is also possible that real-world battery life may be better than these speculated hardware specs imply due to underlying performance improvements added to iOS 8.

Apple is expected to unveil the iPhone 6 during a September media event. The company may debut both a 4.7-inch and a 5.5-inch version that could feature a faster A8 processor, an upgraded Touch ID scanner and an improved camera with some form of image stabilization.

Article Link: iPhone 6 May See Only Modest Battery Capacity Boost as Apple Pursues Ultra-Slim Designs

adamw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2006
We need more battery life please. Perhaps Apple has some battery optimization tricks coming...

Menopause

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
Now this makes me sad, Apple. Current iOS devices are thin enough. Better battery >>> Any thinner.

DavidBlack

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2013
Somewhere In Apple's HQ ;)
At least it's bigger. I rather have a thick phone with great battery life then a thin phone and bad battery life. (Not saying that the iPhone battery is bad by any means) Guess Samsung already knew this due to the ad they posted a few days ago. With that being said battery life will always be a problem with smartphones. Just like storage it's never "enough" for some people.

Cali Fornia

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2012
Vienna, Austria
One must not forget that the A8 will most likely be more energy-efficient and the display will also most likely not use up all the additional battery capacity.
Especially 2500mAh sounds quite promising actually.

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2012
this better now be true, thats honestly just pathetic on apple's part, i don't care on how efficient the processor is and how the software handles processing, battery life is still going to suck with those extremely small capacities, for once Apple be smart and just give us a giant battery in our phones like we've wanted from the beginning

noob17

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2006
not the full story

Don't worry guys... this isn't the whole story...

yes capacity maybe modestly improved... but the software tweaks they will implement in the ios 8 gold master will dramatically improve battery life.

OreoMuncher

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2013
ErMeGerd

How stubborn do they need to be. More battery = More Use = More iTunes Purchases, More App Downloads, More iAd views = Happy Customers = More money for them...:mad:

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Given the new TSA regulations about requiring phones to have charge to be allowed on flights, I can see alot of these phones ending their lives being blown up in remote sand bunkers.

TallGuyGT

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2011
NYC
As iPhones become more powerful and capable, I'm spending more and more time on it during the day. I expect that will increase when the iPhone 6 with a larger screen is released.

I really like thin devices, but I need an iPhone that will last a full day with heavy usage. I'm not always able to charge by late afternoon, and I shouldn't have to anyway.

iPhone 6 hasn't been released yet obviously, so I hope we're pleasantly surprised.

teknishn

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2006
Id take this with a grain of salt until we see the product. Let's not forget the new A8 will also be much less power hungry at 20nm vs the current 28nm A7.

Bhatu

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2013
This September iPhone 6 will be launched - in an envelope! :|

TheNewDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
Well, i'm sure there will be plenty of accessory makers that will have a CASE/BATTERY combo available in no time.

If the phone is really thin, it won't become too bulky with the battery addon...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.