Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The iPhone 5 is too thin, never mind the iPhone 6. I just hope in making it thinner they do in fact make it stronger somehow.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
I don't see the point in this. I'm pretty sure the aluminum on the back will spring right back to its oringal state. Of course apple could make it out of something else but I don't think they will. I just don't think the iPhone 6 will bend at all.

TechViking

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
How does this compare to the iPhone 5S front cover with regards to being able to bend like this?

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
The iPhone 5 is too thin, never mind the iPhone 6. I just hope in making it thinner they do in fact make it stronger somehow.

Stronger would be nice. My mom did bend here phone nearly in half. See slammed it in the car door. It was amazing the front didn't break but the back bent way back. The problem is to make it stronger it would at extra weight.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I just want better battery life ... currently down to 40% from intermittent use as I'm at work, connected to wifi, and it was fully charged at 7:30AM (it's 4PM at the moment).

Not sure how this compares to other smartphones but 12 hours of heavy usage is about my limit. I really love the iPhone but it's crazy to think that a MacBook Air almost has as much battery life. Hope Apple address this in the 6 and really push some innovation with power saving.

a.roden

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2013
Wolverhampton GB
Corning won't be very happy after seeing this. After all they keep claiming that Sapphire is too brittle and cracks easily. Exciting stuff. This could be a scratch-proof (excluding diamond), and nearly shatter-proof screen! :apple:

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Even though the title clearly states it survives, the tension in the video still made me wince haha :D

GoneDrinkin

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2014
I don't see the point in this. I'm pretty sure the aluminum on the back will spring right back to its oringal state. Of course apple could make it out of something else but I don't think they will. I just don't think the iPhone 6 will bend at all.
The iPhone 6 will not be designed to bend at all.

This is a stress test. The more 'give' in a material, the less likely it will be to shatter under impact when dropped.

That's the only point of this video.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Stronger would be nice. My mom did bend here phone nearly in half. See slammed it in the car door. It was amazing the front didn't break but the back bent way back. The problem is to make it stronger it would at extra weight.

I've seen too many threads in the iPhone forum about it being bent.

PJTheDJ

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2014
A Feeling

Does anyone else have a feeling that the mockups are not going to look like anything Apple is going to release?

I was looking through the archives about what the iPhone 5 would look like and MacRumors was off lol... any one else feel the same way or are we dead on about what the iPhone 6 is going to look like?

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Does anyone else have a feeling that the mockups are not going to look like anything Apple is going to release?

I was looking through the archives about what the iPhone 5 would look like and MacRumors was off lol... any one else feel the same way or are we dead on about what the iPhone 6 is going to look like?

Around this time in 2012 they were spot on:

https://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/07/iphone-5-back-cover-hands-on-video/
https://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/08/high-resolution-iphone-5-renderings-based-on-leaked-parts/
https://www.macrumors.com/2012/07/1...generation-iphone-engineering-sample-massing/

Just reading the comments on those articles, lol. History repeats itself :D

Last edited:

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
As it is clearly stated. There is nothing to verify if this is indeed sapphire. May be Gorilla Glass in the video.

PJTheDJ

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2014

This makes me feel better, I guess I didn't dig deep enough lol
I still hope its more mind-blowing than what is predicted on the forums.
The anticipation is too high to measure!

Alphabetize

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2013
Slap the glass against a flat surface and let's see how well it holds up.

After my iPhone 4 busted, the back glass popped off unaffected, so I tested the strength of it by hitting it with a hammer as hard as I could, but it did nothing. However, I dropped the glass from about 12 inches, flat onto a wooden desk, and the entire glass shattered.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I really love the iPhone but it's crazy to think that a MacBook Air almost has as much battery life. Hope Apple address this in the 6 and really push some innovation with power saving.

Until there's a huge leap forward in battery technology, not much will change. Look at the size of the MacBook Air's screen in relation to its battery size; that's similar to the proportion of the iPhone and its battery.

It might be useful for manufacturers to embed solar cells on a phone, but with a device that spends much of its life in a pocket that might not help much either. We simply need longer lasting batteries for our always-on devices.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
So how much thinner will be the iPhone 6? until now all the rumors point the 7mm mark thin. Now we are targeting 6.7mm ?

Populism

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2014
Curious what percentage of iPhone users use no protective case. Maybe the number is higher than I think. My anecdotal experience is that the vast majority of people use a case, point being that in Apple's never-ending zeal to make it thinner and thinner and thinner the "average consumer" doesn't care given they will put it in a case that will, inherently, make it bulky, or at least bulkier.

I'd be thrilled if the width stayed the same or - god forbid - it actually got thicker, and as a result battery life improved and/or storage improved and/or processor improved. The whole thinner-est-most-est makes for about 90 seconds of oohs and ahhs during the release presentation and, at least for me, that's it.

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden
That's not the front panel, that IS the iPhone 6. :p
"Now almost 100% thinner!"
tumblr_m9qt6qmCtR1rnasulo1_1280.jpg

I hope that picture carries my humor. I don't want to rain on your parade... :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.