Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Alongside iOS 8 beta 3, Apple today released a new version of OS X Yosemite, three weeks after releasing the second Developer Preview and over a month after introducing the new operating system at its annual Worldwide Developers Conference.

The update, build 14A283o, can be downloaded from the Mac App Store or the Mac Dev Center.

yosemite_dp_3.jpg
OS X Yosemite brings a flatter, more modern look to OS X, with an emphasis on translucency and redesigned dock, windows, and more. It also includes a multitude of new features, such as improved integration with iOS 8 through Continuity, a new "Today" view in Notification Center that offers integration with third-party apps, a retooled Spotlight search with new data sources, and several new features for apps like Mail, Safari, and Messages.

Ahead of today's new beta release, Apple announced plans to wipe all CloudKit data for the iOS and Yosemite betas, including data from iCloud Drive, iCloud Photo Library, and Mail Drop.

OS X Yosemite is currently only available to developers, but Apple plans to offer a beta version of the software to Mac users at some point during the summer. A public release of OS X Yosemite is expected in the fall, after several additional beta iterations.

New Features:

Dark Mode - First previewed during WWDC, Dark Mode is now officially available as of the third developer preview of Yosemite. Previously, Dark Mode could only be enabled via terminal command.

darkmode.jpg
Interface tweaks - System Preferences, Mail, and iCloud Preferences have all seen some interface tweaks in DP3 as noted by 9to5Mac. There are also larger App Icons for Notifications and a new font in the Notification Center/Safari Favorites Bar.

mailtweaks.jpg
QuickTime - QuickTime has an updated icon.

Settings - Apple appears to have removed the Continuity/AirDrop settings from the System Report in Developer Preview 3. Previously, these settings let users know if Continuity and AirDrop were accessible on their machines. Apple also removed an "Allow Handoff between this Mac and Your iCloud devices" toggle from System Preferences on some machines.

Article Link: Apple Releases OS X Yosemite Developer Preview 3

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
I wonder when they will open up the public beta for Yosemite. I would love to get my hands on it.

imandings

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2013
Australia
Woop! Was waiting for this one! :p
Looks like the servers are flooded with download requests as my "Updates" for Mac are taking forever to check for updates :p

Now got this:
2bccf14926.png

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Haven't used it since the first update. It looked really good, but I found that I wanted to stay in there longer than I could, but needed to go back to Mavericks to use my apps. The eye candy is great. I can't wait for the Fall.

towg

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2012
Cardiff
VERY slow download. I've got a 60MB connection and its saying 3 hours for 1.12 GB. Can everyone else just wait till I've finished? :D

tooobe

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2008
I just switched back to Mavericks. Couldn't stand the bug where my Internet would choke up totally every few minutes (for every machine I have, including ios devices). Anyone else experienced this bug? Or just incompatibility with my router? Asus n56u. Is this resolved in this build?

amarkon

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2012
Apple seems to be slow on this release. Very slow download speeds (tried to download another 1+ GB app on the Mac App Store and was getting 5 MB/s, 100k on Yosemite download) and developer.apple.com only has DP2 listed, no acknowledgement of DP3's release.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I am on the Public Beta list and waiting patiently. Hoping it comes out with the next Beta Release -- assuming things have started to stabilize in the code.

imandings

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2013
Australia
I just switched back to Mavericks. Couldn't stand the bug where my Internet would choke up totally every few minutes (for every machine I have, including ios devices). Anyone else experienced this bug? Or just incompatibility with my router? Asus n56u. Is this resolved in this build?

I have a Netgear Router and it seemed to be if I disabled Bluetooth my net was fine, else if it was enabled it would go slow... you're not alone and its in the bug system. Reported by a ton of people from what I read on dev forums.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
Haven't used it since the first update. It looked really good, but I found that I wanted to stay in there longer than I could, but needed to go back to Mavericks to use my apps. The eye candy is great. I can't wait for the Fall.

My issue was the ability to login to our secure intranet site. It kept asking for my credentials for each and every module that had to load. I went back to mavericks for the sole purpose. Otherwise it worked great for me.

tooobe

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2008
I have a Netgear Router and it seemed to be if I disabled Bluetooth my net was fine, else if it was enabled it would go slow... you're not alone and its in the bug system. Reported by a ton of people from what I read on dev forums.
Good to know. Although, I had Bluetooth off since day 1. Didn't help at all. Please anyone, let me know if this is resolved in this build, as yosemite was quite stable other than this bug...

JesperA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
Sweden
My issue was the ability to login to our secure intranet site. It kept asking for my credentials for each and every module that had to load. I went back to mavericks for the sole purpose. Otherwise it worked great for me.
i don't think that is a problem with Yosemite, i have had that problem several times in Mavericks, SL and ML, especially when Safari or Chrome crashed, one time i had to spend like 2-3 minutes klicking on 1 billion credentials popup for every site i had ever logged in to.

It did not occur alot, maybe 5-6 times in a 3-4 year timeframe.

TenMilesHigh

macrumors newbie

Wait. What do you mean with »switched back«? 10.10 is still beta and not for productive use. So complaining here about bugs is out of place.

Don’t get me wrong, but saying »I just switched back to Mavericks« implies that you used a beta on your productive system.

MikeCP

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2006
Dark Mode is in beta 3. Looks awful if you have any non-Apple icons in your menu bar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.