Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Over the past two years I've had 3 run ins with wild life and one uninsured neighbor running into a rental car. Because of this State Farm has decided not to renew my contract.

I get why and all that but not I have to find a replacement.

I was laying about $86/month with them. I checked Amica and it's going to be about $2070/yr.

What other ones are out there that have good service and use OEM parts for repair?

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Over the past two years I've had 3 run ins with wild life and one uninsured neighbor running into a rental car. Because of this State Farm has decided not to renew my contract.

I was laying about $86/month with them. I checked Amica and it's going to be about $2070/yr.

What other ones are out there that have good service and use OEM parts for repair?

I have had very good experiences with Commerce Insurance (bought through AAA), with which I also have my condo insurance.

Excellent service...when I needed to do it, I would just drop that car off at the shop, they would get me my rental (double the daily rental rate in my insurance because bought through AAA...pay for $30/day on insurance, and get $60/day because I'm AAA)), contact the adjuster, and use all BMW parts. Also Commerce has a Deductible reduction plan...for each year claim free, your Deductible goes down $50. So now, $300 Deductible is $200 (I believe they just started the program).

No mss, no fuss...but I have no idea how they compare with others in premium cost. I have somewhat lower premiums because I buy both car and condo from the same company.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
I have had very good experiences with Commerce Insurance (bought through AARP), with which I also have my condo insurance.

Excellent service...when I needed to do it, I would just drop that car off at the shop, they would get me my rental (double the daily rental rate in my insurance because bought through AARP...pay for $30/day on insurance, and get $60/day because I'm AARP)), contact the adjuster, and use all BMW parts. Also Commerce has a Deductible reduction plan...for each year claim free, your Deductible goes down $50. So now, $300 Deductible is $200 (I believe they just started the program).

No mss, no fuss...but I have no idea how they compare with others in premium cost. I have somewhat lower premiums because I buy both car and condo from the same company.

Friend, you made a few typos.

:p

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Friend, you made a few typos.:p

Hey...don't confuse OP!

I get my Medicare Supplemental and prescription insurance through AARP!

I get auto and condo through Commerce.

So, you think it's funny I'm an alter cocker, youngster?!:mad:

Listen sonny...geting old ain't for sissies!:cool:

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
Hey...don't confuse OP!

I get my Medicare Supplemental and prescription insurance through AARP!

I get auto and condo through Commerce.

So, you think it's funny I'm an alter cocker, youngster?!:mad:

Listen sonny...geting old ain't for sissies!:cool:

:cool:

For the sake of the OP, I've been happy with Liberty Mutual, although I get a bunch of discounts for being an alumnus of a particular university and for never getting a single ticket or being at fault in any accident...

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I've had progressive for years. As far as rates I'm happy. They've went down each time. No claims so can't speak on that.

Claims stay on your record for 3 years or so depending on state. Your first year will likely be ridiculously high regardless of where you go. After it should drop down.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
I'm with Nationwide, pay ~$90/month for auto and renter's insurance for full coverage with 50/100 injury payouts and a $500 deductible. I also have an additional add-on that assures OEM parts when there is an incident.

The cost will depend on your age and vehicle, as well as location.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I'm with Nationwide, pay ~$90/month for auto and renter's insurance for full coverage with 50/100 injury payouts and a $500 deductible. I also have an additional add-on that assures OEM parts when there is an incident.

The cost will depend on your age and vehicle, as well as location.

I'm being quoted $265 for 30k/60k, rental, towing, PIP, and $500 deductible. And the add on OEM parts stuff.

It said I was "accident free" but the 4 claims by have added some premiums to it. Amica is doing $2070/yr (they charge 10 payments so hard to compare). They said my claims aren't being accounted for so after they "fall off" my rates will stay the same.

Geico says $112/month. AAA I think quoted me $78. I was paying State Farm $86.

I'm off Monday and planning to really get this taken care of. A few things I learned to watch for are is the insurance going to pay for OEM parts and pay to have the paint tinted and color matched. Glad I'm doing some research now.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
I forgot that I have towing also. My auto-only premium is ~$80/month.

You specifically need to ask for the OEM "endorsement", the policy is normally written that they will use new aftermarket or "reconditioned" OEM parts.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I have had very good experiences with Commerce Insurance (bought through AAA), with which I also have my condo insurance.

Excellent service...when I needed to do it, I would just drop that car off at the shop, they would get me my rental (double the daily rental rate in my insurance because bought through AAA...pay for $30/day on insurance, and get $60/day because I'm AAA)), contact the adjuster, and use all BMW parts. Also Commerce has a Deductible reduction plan...for each year claim free, your Deductible goes down $50. So now, $300 Deductible is $200 (I believe they just started the program).

Just got off the phone with them. They quoted me $1,684/yr with renters insurance discount (That's not including the renters insurance). $400 less than Amica. AAA uses OEM parts as well. They look like a winner. She's going to check to make sure all the claims and tickets are right before giving me the actual cost.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
I've only ever had GEICO or Progressive for car insurance. I've found Progressive to be less expensive and easier to deal with, especially with claims.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Just got off the phone with them. They quoted me $1,684/yr with renters insurance discount (That's not including the renters insurance). $400 less than Amica. AAA uses OEM parts as well. They look like a winner. She's going to check to make sure all the claims and tickets are right before giving me the actual cost.

Hey great!

I hope it works out for you...:D

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
You've likely already made your decision by now, but you might want to check some local insurance companies in your area. For the past several years I've used a small local company that is less expensive than any of the major national companies for the same levels of coverage.

As you already know, it's all about information. So, do your due diligence in research and getting quotes and go with what's best for your needs.

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA

That happened to me also, but with Mercury insurance. If Mercury is available in your area, try it. Another cheap alternative is Esurance, which I currently have. I pay ~140/mo due to lease requirements and probably the car. However, when I had my Prius, I was paying close to $120/mo. It was the cheapest I could find - the big ones, like Geico, Progressive, etc were totally expensive; it was at least double the price. Also, Esurance's parent company is All State, so that should be good.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
That happened to me also, but with Mercury insurance. If Mercury is available in your area, try it. Another cheap alternative is Esurance, which I currently have. I pay ~140/mo due to lease requirements and probably the car. However, when I had my Prius, I was paying close to $120/mo. It was the cheapest I could find - the big ones, like Geico, Progressive, etc were totally expensive; it was at least double the price. Also, Esurance's parent company is All State, so that should be good.

But, sometimes you get what you pay for. A guy I work with has Esurance, had to get his windshield replaced. He called them, didn't have glass coverage. Apparently there was some loophole they exploited to not provide glass coverage even though it's standard in the state.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I called one local place I found on Hochheim Prairie Insurance's website. The guy told me today would be best to go in and I had to be there before 4pm. I'm off today and writing Performance Appraisals for work so that's not happening.

I called up the local Texas Farm Bureau agent. She quoted $63/month before defensive driving discount. The only concern was she said her adjuster will use OEM if it's a new car and the owner really wants it. She said he may do it for me, especially if I pay for the difference. Sounds good and all but I don't know if I want to deal with that after having an accident.

Does anyone have any feedback about them? I'll check out Esurance.

And this state law thing is interesting. Some say they cover glass depending on state law. I don't see why the state has a say so in it. I haven't had to deal with insurance in years so maybe I missed something?

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Just ask this guy!

Meerkat_Jelly_Sweets-300x207.jpg

(disclaimer, this might not translate outside the UK!)

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
But, sometimes you get what you pay for. A guy I work with has Esurance, had to get his windshield replaced. He called them, didn't have glass coverage. Apparently there was some loophole they exploited to not provide glass coverage even though it's standard in the state.

Hmm.. never heard of that loophole. But then again, I've never had my windshield repaired. Most of the damages incurred by my car was just on the body. Wouldn't the deductible apply to the repair? I mean, if it's <$500, then you'll pay it and >$500, insurance will.

Does anyone have any feedback about them? I'll check out Esurance.

Esurance is great (at least for me) and cheaper than the others. How'd it work out for you?

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Hmm.. never heard of that loophole. But then again, I've never had my windshield repaired. Most of the damages incurred by my car was just on the body. Wouldn't the deductible apply to the repair? I mean, if it's <$500, then you'll pay it and >$500, insurance will.

Esurance is great (at least for me) and cheaper than the others. How'd it work out for you?

Glass, in NY, is part of the comprehensive coverage. $0 deductible depending on your coverage.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Just an update. I had gone on vacation and put the search on hold. Found out with a few companies if I increase my liability my premiums decrease. Not sure how that works but oh well.

Decided on Amica. Called them up to pull the trigger. They placed me on hold to verify it and I was denied. Very annoying. Especially since they waited so long to tell me this. I'll give Nationwide and maybe Travelers a call on my lunch.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Geico seems much more cheaper for me...
I've had GEICO for over two decades. I've shopped around and no one comes close.

Only downside is that they spec aftermarket/non-OEM parts for repairs. The way I've figured out to combat this is to go to the most expensive/reputable body shop in town and tell them to make sure that only OEM parts are used by "telling" your class adjustor that the aftermarket stuff didn't fit well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.