Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In late June, San Francisco held its 44th annual Pride parade, which saw several companies, including Apple, marching in support of the LGBT community.

Apple CEO Tim Cook attended the event and walked alongside Apple's Environment Director Lisa Jackson and thousands of other Apple employees. Employees wore special T-shirts for the event and handed out iTunes gift cards good for a free song download.

Apple has now posted a new video of the event on its YouTube channel, depicting the company's preparation for the parade, which included the aforementioned T-shirts, a pre-event celebration, special bicycles, and thousands of rainbow-colored flags. The song playing in the background of the video is Coldplay's "A Sky Full of Stars."

On June 29, thousands of Apple employees and their families marched in the San Francisco Pride Parade. They came from around the world -- from cities as far as Munich, Paris, and Hong Kong -- to celebrate Apple's unwavering commitment to equality and diversity. Because we believe that inclusion inspires innovation
Apple CEO Tim Cook has expressed a deep belief in equality in the past, supporting the Employment Non-Discrimination Act, which lobbied to add lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals to the U.S.'s existing nondiscrimination law. He also spoke at Auburn University in December of 2013, noting that Apple has long had protections for LGBT employees.

During the Pride event, Tim Cook tweeted a congratulations to the 5,000 Apple employees and their families that attended the parade, saying "inclusion inspires innovation," the same line later used in the video.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Apple Shares 'Pride' Video Featuring Preparation for San Francisco Pride Parade

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
not that there is anything wrong with it (Seinfeld reference) ... but doesn't it seem like Apple spent way too much money on this?

bicycles (with banana republic satchels), flags, shirts, iTunes gift cards, posters, food, music, etc. ... couldn't this money have been spent maybe educating people on LGBT or donated to groups effected by "bullies" instead of a 1 day parade?

taptic

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2012
California
I'm disgusted.

There. I gave my opinion and there is no need to quote me saying that I don't need to buy Apple products anymore and that I'm so stupid or simple-minded, etc.

jhwalker

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2011
Is Pride Parade really still a thing in 2014?

Yes, and it will be until LGBT Americans have equal rights and no longer experience rampant discrimination in society, in the job market, etc.

Someday, it will no longer be necessary . . . but probably not in our lifetime.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
Ironically, to be a devil's advocate … I wonder if Apple would take part in a parade for Jesus. And not just about making money off of the "Christmas" season.

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
Is Pride Parade really still a thing in 2014?

In countries that allow discrimination based on sexuality - i. e. Russia, Poland, USA, Uganda etc. - definitely.

----------

I'm disgusted.

There. I gave my opinion and there is no need to quote me saying that I don't need to buy Apple products anymore and that I'm so stupid or simple-minded, etc.

Haha must be fun for someone like you to live in California ..lol

hlfway2anywhere

Cancelled
Jul 15, 2006
Ironically, to be a devil's advocate … I wonder if Apple would take part in a parade for Jesus. And not just about making money off of the "Christmas" season.

Jesus doesn't need Apple to advocate for him because he has enough "sheep" "parading" around drawing attention to themselves as it is.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
Yes, and it will be until LGBT Americans have equal rights and no longer experience rampant discrimination in society, in the job market, etc.

Someday, it will no longer be necessary . . . but probably not in our lifetime.

Why do you think the end of discrimination would cause the end of the parade? In countries that are much further along the road in that regard than the United States the celebration just keeps getting bigger each year.

DanielSw

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009
Clearwater, FL
Good video. Impressively large representation by Apple employees and families.

As a white straight male, I've had numerous friends and acquaintances of other races and sexual orientations, and I'm happy for them that these sorts of initiatives and events are seemingly having positive effects towards reducing descrimination.

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
Another reason to love Apple, thanks for supporting equality

Actually there are a lot of companies these days supporting equality, including the public enemies #1 and #2, google and Microsoft. Nevertheless I think it's nice that Apple are very outspoken about it.

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
i'll take one of those shirts please

I was in Santa Cruz that weekend and there was a guy selling Burger King Pride shirts from the parade, but he didn't have any Apple ones. Would have bought one in a second, they're awesome. Guess it's just as well since he said he stole them "right off the truck."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.