Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
Apple Maps really isn't as THAT bad.
meaning that
Apple made a great map application in the time that they did it in, and it is impressive in a sense, but Google does have a better map system and also has had a lot of time refining it down and such.

I understand Apple wanting to use their own map services, narrowing down the amount of 2nd party support they have to use, but I don't understand why they would release it prematurely since that's kind of their thing. to not do. they talk about it all the time.

I've been taken to a random location plenty of times by Apple Maps telling me that the destination for a store is on my left while it puts me in a specific middle of some neighborhood where it's just houses.

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
And whose fault was that, Not Google.

That's not my point, because while we don't really know whose fault it was (probably WAS google), Apple releasing Maps, as crappy as it was, potentially helped to give us turn by turn from Google. I am thankful for it no matter what drove it....but I believe Apple releasing Maps had a big part of it.

DerSteppenwolf

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2014
Dropping google was a huge mistake. This is one case where Apple needs to give up and bring google map data back into the fold.

Apple builds the best interfaces, but they don't have the data to back those interfaces in this case. Just admit google is better this one time.

Ur comment is so ignorant...
Google wanted lot of Apple user´s data (cause is his way to do money), so apple drop it out of his system and google lost that advantage.
Now google launched another google maps app for apple, so we (the users) still got the apple maps and the google maps apps. but google Can only get a few of our data like the rest of the App Store developers, when before, he was taking all that google wanted.

Google lost his privileges as an apple-coworked, and Apple now got more map apps than any other platform.
Apple users are the winners.

WhoDaKat

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
Dropping google was a huge mistake. This is one case where Apple needs to give up and bring google map data back into the fold.

Apple builds the best interfaces, but they don't have the data to back those interfaces in this case. Just admit google is better this one time.

You couldn't be more wrong. I travel for a living so I'm always in a new city, which in turn means I rely on my maps quite a bit. I used Google maps for years before Apple Maps came out, and lets just say it did me wrong plenty of times. Apples maps, with a few exceptions, has always taken me where I need to go. I understand some sheep farmers in Scotland and some idiot tourists in Australia are having problems, but for us first worlders its been a sweet transition to Apple Maps.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
You couldn't be more wrong. I travel for a living so I'm always in a new city, which in turn means I rely on my maps quite a bit. I used Google maps for years before Apple Maps came out, and lets just say it did me wrong plenty of times. Apples maps, with a few exceptions, has always taken me where I need to go. I understand some sheep farmers in Scotland and some idiot tourists in Australia are having problems, but for us first worlders its been a sweet transition to Apple Maps.

Well said. I agree with you, and my experiences are the same.

Hamstring

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2003
Chicago
Google maps is great. It reroutes me due to traffic, which is terrific. I just don't use Apple maps, because it isn't as good.

WhoDaKat

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
I think Apple Maps is great, and I'm sorry to see this guy go, but can you imagine the pressure of working on Apple Maps? I'm surprise he lasted this long. Oh well, new blood is always good.

tdtran1025

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2011
What a serious mistake, or mistakes I should say on Apple's part to neglect 2 key features of iOS Maps and VoIP telephony. Health apps only appeal to young, professionals in first world countries, but navigation and telephony are necessities everyone relies on. All the social networking apps out there have calling feature, which is the compelling reason to hook people into trying out, and some of them give accurate locations of where the activities come from.

Lapidus

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
What are you basing that on? Not everyone leaving a company is doing so because they're unhappy. Perhaps he just wanted something different after 14 years at Apple. Perhaps Uber made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

"It seems like" So based on how I think it is, which is zero reference. Makes sense because this is a community and a discussion forum. Your comment makes sense as well.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
Google Maps aren't perfect. Apple Maps aren't perfect. Both are getting updated daily. Apple is playing catch-up, and it is catching up.

If it comes to opinions, I find Apple's car directions to be perfectly usable. So much so that I ditched my bespoke in-car SatNav in favour of my iPhone.

SarcasticJoe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2013
Finland
I wonder how long he'll be there considering regulators have come recently come down pretty hard on Über considering it's basically a taxi service that operates without a taxi license or or taxi insurance...

iamPro

macrumors regular
May 15, 2009

I know Apple dropped Google Maps for a reason.
However, I'm not too sure if Apple's map interface is great... even when compared to Google maps.

I can't get over the dotted line indicating traffic. It really looks chaotic when you're looking at many roads in one view. And the double tap and slide single finger gesture for zooming in/out in the Google Map App is tremendously convenient.

Teste

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2011
So, Maps will now officially be a feature eternally stuck in Beta. Just like Siri, incidentally.

I wonder what will be next. iOS 7's icon designs?

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI

Disagree 180 degrees. Apple, please stay the course.

You have Google as a choice. I prefer not to give them my data, thank you very much.

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
steve once said something about letting other companies do what they are specialized to do ....meaning letting google do just that....improving maps..

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
I know Apple dropped Google Maps for a reason.
However, I'm not too sure if Apple's map interface is great... even when compared to Google maps.

I can't get over the dotted line indicating traffic. It really looks chaotic when you're looking at many roads in one view. And the double tap and slide single finger gesture for zooming in/out in the Google Map App is tremendously convenient.
Google maps looks like map quest from 1990. The iPhone map interface was always designed by Apple.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
I wonder how long he'll be there considering regulators have come recently come down pretty hard on Über considering it's basically a taxi service that operates without a taxi license or or taxi insurance...

A little off topic, but I think you should research your facts a little better. What is actually happening is that taxi companies in some jurisdictions are working behind the scenes with "regulatory agencies" that are actually in their back pockets, trying to find a way to eliminate the competition that is Uber. But the light of day, and public outcry is keeping the cronyism at bay for the time being.

In other words, this is the opposite of what happened to Areo...

jhtrico1850

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2007
It's in the app store. What's stopping you?

Me? I'm glad Apple told Google "no" when it wanted tracking data for advertising purposes. I'm much happier having that as an app-store option rather than the default.

So go get it and stop trying to force it on me.

Getting Google Maps or Waze doesn't stop Contacts from launching Apple Maps when I click on a contact's address or open a location from Yelp.

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
steve once said something about letting other companies do what they are specialized to do ....meaning letting google do just that....improving maps..
Not when it is important to your success and they have used your partnership with them against you to become a competitor who is intent in limiting your growth.

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Try to go anywhere in Tokyo, Japan -the country with the biggest market share for iOS- using Apple Maps. The map data that Apple is using is laughingly bad and hasn't changed much since 2 years ago.

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
Am I the only one that finds Apple's Maps to be fine? :rolleyes:

Go to Cleveland and navigate from the courtyard marriott off I-271 to Maggianos, also off 271.

When you find yourself in a perpetual loop of u-turns without driving past the restaurant, come back and tell everyone it is fine.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Well who do you think it was? They limited us to give Android an advantage, when it was Apple's data and interface design that got them to where they were.

And exactly what data gave Apple to Google to got them where they were?

It was not Google or Apple's fault, it was two companies not arriving to a deal when they negotiated, nothing more.

----------

Not when it is important to your success and they have used your partnership with them against you to become a competitor who is intent in limiting your growth.

And who did that?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.