Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Developers running the beta version of iOS 8 can ask Siri for an opinion on the new operating system, prompting Apple's virtual assistant to provide one of several humorous responses. Siri's funny responses are limited to iOS 8 -- iOS 7 users who ask Siri about iOS 8 receive generic responses on Siri's like of Apple products.

Asking "Siri, do you like iOS 8?" will result in tongue-in-cheek answers that hint at new features in iOS 8 like "It's just swift," alluding to the company's newly introduced programming language.

sirios8responses.jpg
Siri's answers also allude to new Apple's HomeKit home automation platform, which will allow Siri to control various connected devices such as Philips' line of Hue lights.
"I'm just thrilled about iOS 8 -- It's like moving into a bigger, nicer house. And I get to turn the lights on and off."
The virtual assistant also pokes fun at the limited amount of time Apple spent going over new Siri features during its keynote event at the Worldwide Developers Conference.
"Impressive, but... you'd think they could have talked about me for more than thirty seconds. Sniff."
Siri has gained several major new features in iOS 8, including Shazam integration that allows the voice assistant to identify songs upon request, and the ability to open the App Store for the first time. Siri's also able to be activated hands-free with the voice command "Hey Siri," when plugged in, and it supports streaming voice recognition for real-time feedback on requests.

Apple has worked hard to improve Siri since its 2011 introduction alongside iOS 5, adding new capabilities and a never-ending stream of funny responses and quips to requests and queries. As of late, rumors have suggested that the company is planning to bring Siri development in-house, working to build a strong speech recognition team.

Apple seeded the third iOS 8 beta to developers yesterday, with plans to release the operating system to the public in the fall following an extended beta testing period.

Article Link: Siri 'Just Thrilled' About iOS 8, but Sad About Lack of Stage Time at WWDC

joshwenke

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2011
I love Siri. The sense of humor really makes it fun to talk to. I remember getting my hands on the first iPhone with Siri... I never put it down!

vcao

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2010
See what happens when you call Siri, Jarvis. Its a dream come true. :cool:

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
The fact that the siri team took the time to code these responses, specifically the one about WWDC time, says to me that the actual release of iOS8 (along with the new phone) is probably going to have some changes introduced at the launch event. :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Perhaps the developers should be spending more time fixing the bugs then adding snarky answers to Siri :rolleyes:

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
Siri has always been a blast to talk to. Google now is more the useful personal assistant and less tongue in cheek.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
I just wish Siri could understand me. Or that I could use it to text and drive, without having to look at my phone to see if everything was understood and spelled correctly before it is sent. Maybe iOS in the car will be my answer.

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
For those that are running the iOS8 beta,
What does Siri say when you ask her...

What happens at MacRumors on a slow news day?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.