Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

woodlandtrek

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
Hi all,

I recently replaced a Snow Leopard server with a 2013 Mini running Mavericks server for a family business. Everything works fine, except for file sharing.

When one of the users has a file open, it will occasionally get "stuck" open on the server. Any future attempts to edit the file will result in the message "This file is locked for editing by another user". These are mostly microsoft office files, but the problem is not being caused by the typical $~ lock files. It appears to be somewhere in SMB.

When I run lsof | grep "smbd" | grep "REG" I get no results (when no documents are actually open).
When I run that same command under sudo, then the troublesome files show up. Restarting smbd fixes the issue temporarily, but then eventually other files get stuck in the same way.

Any advice? I've tried everything I can think of to figure out what's causing this.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
This happens because most Windows users think if in OS X they click the red menu bar button it will close a running application, but it won't. In OS X you must quit a program to close the program but in OS X the red button means to just close the running window, not to close the program. So a user is still running the offending application file program after they opened a program on the server.

iRATs

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2008
Same Problem

I had this same exact issue. I've done a lot of research and contacted apple support :apple: but no resolution. Most of the research points to the upgrade from SL to Mavericks server. I plan to do a fresh install, recreate Open Directory and move the files back to the server cleanly. If that does not solve the issue I'm stumped.

Something to consider for the upcoming Yosemite also.

Has anyone else had this issue? Any resolution?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.