Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Taiwan's Business Weekly (Google Translate, via GforGames) reports that Apple has placed an extraordinary amount of orders for the iPhone 6 ahead of its launch this fall, which is said to be twice as large when compared to orders for the iPhone 5 in 2012.

iphone6.jpg
The paper also states that Apple's first iPhone 6 order will consist of 68 million units, with the device finally entering mass production later this month. This is consistent with earlier rumors about the mass production of the 4.7-inch device, although it is unknown if this newest report is referring to joint production of the 4.7-inch and larger 5.5-inch iPhone 6.

Apple is likely pushing for a large initial order of the iPhone 6 in order to avoid the supply issues that surrounded the launches of the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5. While some reports have suggested that Apple may launch the 5.5-inch version of the iPhone 6 after the 4.7-inch version due to issues with display technology and battery life, a recent report from Bloomberg suggested that both devices could launch simultaneously.

In addition to a larger display, both versions of the iPhone 6 will most likely feature a thinner, curved-edge casing along with a faster A8 processor and improved camera. Following the trends of the past two iPhone launches, it is also likely that Apple will reveal and launch the iPhone 6 in September.

Article Link: Apple Placing Unprecedented Amount of iPhone 6 Orders, First Batch Estimated at 68 Million Units

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Wow, that's a lot of phones - hopefully that will mean less wait time.

mad3inch1na

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
That mockup just screams antennagate. Maybe this is just me, but I like the look of the glass windows.

Xeyad

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
Been with the 4S for 3 years now...I guess it's time to get one of those 68 million iPhones! :D

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
"In addition to a larger display, both versions of the iPhone 6 will most likely feature a thinner, curved-edge casing along with a faster A8 processor and improved camera."

And sapphire glass

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
have there been any actual leaks of the 5.5 one yet besides random mockups? dont remember.

feel like only the 4.7 one is in production

SilianRail

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2011
"In addition to a larger display, both versions of the iPhone 6 will most likely feature a thinner, curved-edge casing along with a faster A8 processor and improved camera."

And sapphire glass
That many units has to affect the global price of sapphire.

mr99

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2014
Er. What?

Personally I was thinking why are they showing that back when it's nothing like any of the leaked backs at all...

----------

Is the 6 being made out of concrete? Not sure that's going to help it get much lighter.

Yeah I think so

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Samsung Electronics must be [insert bad word here] themselves right now. They just announced YOY sales and profit decline (3rd straight quarter of profit decline) and this is before Apple's larger screen Phone has even been announced. All that money they spent on marketing and yet they couldn't buy brand loyalty.

mr99

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2014
Samsung Electronics must be [insert bad word here] themselves right now. They just announced YOY sales and profit decline (3rd straight quarter of profit decline) and this is before Apple's larger screen Phone has even been announced. All that money they spent on marketing and yet they couldn't buy brand loyalty.

Samsung is surely in trouble lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.