Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple this morning unveiled an artistic multi-colored barrier around its forthcoming location in Edinburgh, Scotland, signaling that it will soon open its first store in the country's capital city, reports the Edinburgh Evening News (via ifoAppleStore).

edinburgh_apple_store.jpg
The store will be located on the historic Princes Street, with inside sources saying that the location's opening is "imminent." Based on the similar patterns of the Madrid Apple Store before its opening, ifoAppleStore's Gary Allen believes that the location could open on August 2nd.

The Princes Street store will also join Apple's other locations in Scotland, which include the existing Braehead store and the company's Buchanan Street location in Glasgow. The new location will also be Apple's 38th in the United Kingdom since the company first opened a shop on London's Regent Street in 2004.

Article Link: Apple Opening Retail Store in Edinburgh, Scotland Soon

leon44

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
I'm suprised it's taken this long but I feel like they were waiting for the right spot, Princes Street is the obvious place for it.

Shame I'm going to be working that day... Can't get down for a tshirt...

amt2002

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2008
Finally! An Edinburgh store has been a long time coming!

Now I will never have to visit Glasgow ever again ;-)

Reactions: robotica

moxxey

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
I seriously can't believe how long it's taken for Apple to announce a store in Edinburgh.

I remember being up there in 2001, as a student, around the same time as Apple announced their first US store, and the local Edinburgh resellers thought an Edinburgh store would be 'imminent'.....13 years ago :)

In fact, one of the biggest resellers was reluctant to move to a bigger store, simply as they feared this imminent official Apple Edinburgh store!

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Think the tram project put Apple off. Took Primark a while to finally come to Edinburgh because the council were wanting a £150k tram contribution. I wonder if Apple's been hit with a similar tax.

Anyway, glad it's finally here, and it'll be open in time for the Edinburgh Festival in August. That part of Princes St has been a mess for years, even when Burger King were tenants in that building.

troubleonline

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
Edinburgh, Scotland
Think the tram project put Apple off. Took Primark a while to finally come to Edinburgh because the council were wanting a £150k tram contribution. I wonder if Apple's been hit with a similar tax.

Anyway, glad it's finally here, and it'll be open in time for the Edinburgh Festival in August. That part of Princes St has been a mess for years, even when Burger King were tenants in that building.

Never thought of the trams putting off but that makes sense as am sure they could have been open sooner even in that spot as it been empty for sometime. Surely the council wouldn't have made that difficult with planning nonsense :rolleyes:

Agree though now with all the tramworks finally gone and a great improvement in the look of this building Princes Street is starting to look good!

Reactions: robotica

LittleChief

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2009
UK
About time but like a couple of you mentioned it was probably due to the extended tram works on Princes Street, it's been a mess for years!

I live in Northumberland (not too far away) and I've been travelling in to Edinburgh year after year and the level of work and disruption on Princes Street surprised me every time. Glad to see Edinburgh is getting back to its best! :)

troubleonline

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
Edinburgh, Scotland
About time but like a couple of you mentioned it was probably due to the extended tram works on Princes Street, it's been a mess for years!

I live in Northumberland (not too far away) and I've been travelling in to Edinburgh year after year and the level of work and disruption on Princes Street surprised me every time. Glad to see Edinburgh is getting back to its best! :)

Hopefully better than it's (previous) best since most other cities I visit seem to be progressing better and quicker than us!

LittleChief

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2009
UK
Hopefully better than it's (previous) best since most other cities I visit seem to be progressing better and quicker than us!

I guess that is true (sadly) in respect to retail & Princes Street. Other cities definitely seem to invest in & attract more business. It's definitely going to be a 1000% better than it has been for the last 5 odd years though! ;)

It's only that section too IMO. I love historical Edinburgh, the beauty spots, and the culture/arts. The festivals and parties are some of the best in the world! It's just the retail (& possibly dining) aspect that's lagging a bit.

Moonloop

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2012
Ireland
Apple to open

Their 38 store in the UK?

Open one in the Republic of Ireland!

Absolutely agree ! With all that cash we launder for them it wouldn't hurt to leave a few behind #

Only one on the whole island is Belfast ! They should be taking advantage of wobbly Microsoft situation with no more Xp and dodgy 8.1

M

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013

God dam Edinburgh trams, only cost the entire gross domestic product of the western world.
But seriously, £700,000,000 for the 'short' version of the tram line. :rolleyes:

Mums

Suspended
Oct 4, 2011
Their 38 store in the UK?

Open one in the Republic of Ireland!

That's weird - you'd think they'd have one in Cork considering it has Apple offices there. (I'm assuming the one store is in Dublin?)

----------

*checks*

Two in Glasgow and one in Aberdeen? You'd have thought Princes Street would have been their #1 go to location in Scotland.

*checks again*

How odd. Is there a reason that there's not a store in Dublin?

Hmmmm...

IT Troll

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2012
Edinburgh
God dam Edinburgh trams, only cost the entire gross domestic product of the western world.
But seriously, £700,000,000 for the 'short' version of the tram line. :rolleyes:
But that includes all the engines and carriages that we would have needed had the complete line been built. They look really nice and shiny sat in the service depot.

Moonloop

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2012
Ireland
Apple to Open

That's weird - you'd think they'd have one in Cork considering it has Apple offices there. (I'm assuming the one store is in Dublin?)

----------

Hmmmm...

Nope ,the actual Apple. Store is in Belfast . There are only 1 or 2 little boutiques in Dublin eg. Small area in Arnotts shop and also Compu-B who are quite poorly stocked and very overpriced .

M

GoneDrinkin

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2014

----------

Hmmmm...

I'd make more sense to have one in Dublin, but there's not even one there.

Apparently there's a reason they don't have one and that is because it'll close or complicate the tax situation they have going on here, so they don't want to mess with it.

Then again, I've heard stories too which say that they were looking to buy a building near Trinity College but it was bought by Abercrombie instead. They're very selective of their flag ship stores, and it wouldn't shock me that Apple would wait years for the right place.

Once their flag ship store opens in a country they're usually less picky on location, so that could open the doors for stores in Cork and Galway, which would do very well.

scottish

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2011
Guess
Good to have a visible confirmation that the store is nearly here.

I peered through the crack in the door of the hoarding a few nights ago and could see that they have placed wall graphics already and that the main door is black.

DanielCoffey

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2010
Edinburgh, UK
I seriously can't believe how long it's taken for Apple to announce a store in Edinburgh.

Well we had Cancom in the South Bridge area until a few years ago which sufficed as an Authorised Reseller and Repair Centre. By the time they closed down, yes the tram works were at full steam so it was probably prudent to wait.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.