Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fallenapple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2005
Getting ready to purchase an ibook 12". Uses will be internet, email, downloading music (ITunes), Quicken/Quickbooks. There might be some light work on MS Office type programs but nothing serious. This computer will be strictly for personal use.

If I upgrade to 768 MB of RAM and 60 HD is that sufficient for my uses or should I increase the HD to 80 and/or the RAM to 1 GB??????

Salute to all of you who are working today, especially those in retail.

skoker

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2005
fallenapple said:
Getting ready to purchase an ibook 12". Uses will be internet, email, downloading music (ITunes), Quicken/Quickbooks. There might be some light work on MS Office type programs but nothing serious. This computer will be strictly for personal use.

If I upgrade to 768 MB of RAM and 60 HD is that sufficient for my uses or should I increase the HD to 80 and/or the RAM to 1 GB??????

Salute to all of you who are working today, especially those in retail.

Yep. I run big files in Photoshop CS with only 512 on my 14"er and have no problem. Although, get the most RAM you can afford.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
GO FOR 80GB!!!!! You can never have to little HD space. Boy I wish I had ordered 80GB instead of 60. Order your iBook today if you weren't already planning it. They're $100 off. Not sure if that includes BTO's or not though.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Get the biggest HD you can affors BTO, HDs are really not user upgradeable on the iBooks, and you'll always run out of space, sooner or later...

But, do NOT get RAM from Apple. Get the standard 512MB from Apple and get a 3rd party 512MB, or even 1GB, stick. They are quite easy to install and should cost you under half of what Apple are charging.

Good luck with your purchase. iBooks are very nice little workhorses. :)

fallenapple

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2005
Thank you much for your help. Have been waiting for today's sale and was elated that the ibook is $100 off. :p ...this is me jumping for joy, although she is a little faster than she use to be.....

Anyway, thank you again. Next post to come from newly bough ibook... it is good to be back in Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.