Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Minecraft - Pocket Edition, a game that has managed to stay on the App Store's top charts for several years running, has received a major update that Mojang calls "the biggest update to Minecraft - Pocket Edition so far."

Today's update introduces infinite worlds and caves for the first time, plus it includes new blocks and items like Monster Eggs and mushroom blocks. It's now possible to tame a companion with the addition of wolves, and the game also includes new flowers.

minecraftpocket.jpg
New monsters, like spooky endermen and Mooshrooms have been introduced, and the iOS version now offers biomes from the PC version of the game including mesas, jungles, swamps, and more.
0.9.0 - biggest update EVER!

Infinite worlds!
Caves!
Loads of new blocks and items including Monster Eggs and huge mushroom blocks.
Wolves! Tame a loyal companion.
Loads of new flowers! So pretty.
New mobs, including the spooky endermen and less spooky Mooshrooms.
New biomes from the PC version, including mesas, jungles, swamps and extreme hills.
Abandoned mineshafts, villages, and many other cool places to explore.
A brand-new "interaction" button. Never accidentally punch a sheep again!
New feature generation, including lakes, vines and monster rooms.
Many bugs fixed, and possibly a few added.
First released for iOS devices in 2011, the initial version of Minecraft - Pocket Edition was highly limited, lacking online play and devoid of animals and creepers. Since its debut, though, the game has been updated countless times, adding a slew of features that put it more on par with desktop versions of Minecraft.

Minecraft - Pocket Edition can be downloaded from the App Store for $6.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'Minecraft' for iOS Gets Major Update With Infinite Worlds, New Blocks, and Tons of Other Content

seamer

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
How similar is it to the desktop version now? My kid loves MC on his ipad, but gets frustrated when he watches videos made on the desktop and can't replicate a lot of the cool stuff on PE.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
How similar is it to the desktop version now? My kid loves MC on his ipad, but gets frustrated when he watches videos made on the desktop and can't replicate a lot of the cool stuff on PE.

Its closer but still missing a lot of features. Most notably there are no redstone mechanics or other dimensions.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007

A lot of the "cool stuff" on PC/Mac are the mods. Minecraft has an extensive modding community, and some of the modern have even been hired by Mojang (horses was a really popular mid until they rolled it into vanilla, for instance). Some of the mods require a fairly beefy PC/Mac, especially when combined with other mods. Many popular YouTubers use mods in their videos, such as CaptainSparklez and The Yogscast. If he wants to get into mods I highly recommend using the Yogscast Complete Pack on AT Launcher. I started playing it the other day and it's fairly stable. Just make sure you allocate at least 4GB of ram to Minecraft. It's not clear if these features will ever make it to console or PE, but Mojang has been working on a plugin framework for a number of years now which may allow for an "App Store" of sorts where you could install extras that have been approved by Mojang.

This update is a pretty big deal. Even the Xbox One and PS4 versions aren't getting infinite worlds. It's pretty incredible that they have this running on phones! They've even added in some features not yet on the Xbox, like the new biomes from 1.7. I'm excited to jump in and play. The biggest thing that killed PE for me in the past was no caves and the small worlds. I like adventuring. It's going to be fun seeing what's in store for the 1.0 release. Hoping for redstone and iOS game controller support.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
'Minecraft' for iOS Gets Major Update With Infinite Worlds, New Blocks, and T...

This update is a pretty big deal. Even the Xbox One and PS4 versions aren't getting infinite worlds. It's pretty incredible that they have this running on phones! They've even added in some features not yet on the Xbox, like the new biomes from 1.7. I'm excited to jump in and play. The biggest thing that killed PE for me in the past was no caves and the small worlds. I like adventuring. It's going to be fun seeing what's in store for the 1.0 release. Hoping for redstone and iOS game controller support.

My guess is that the console makers are too restrictive with how much storage space games are allowed to use for their save files, as infinite world files can get quite large.

AtomicGrog

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2011
Sadly will never be appealing to me until it can allow all the addons we see available in the desktop version, such as the Tecknic suite.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Sadly will never be appealing to me until it can allow all the addons we see available in the desktop version, such as the Tecknic suite.

How would that work? Apple doesn't allow unauthorized code to run on iOS devices, and not everyone is willing or able to jailbreak.

exizeo

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2014
A lot of the "cool stuff" on PC/Mac are the mods. Minecraft has an extensive modding community, and some of the modern have even been hired by Mojang (horses was a really popular mid until they rolled it into vanilla, for instance). Some of the mods require a fairly beefy PC/Mac, especially when combined with other mods. Many popular YouTubers use mods in their videos, such as CaptainSparklez and The Yogscast. If he wants to get into mods I highly recommend using the Yogscast Complete Pack on AT Launcher. I started playing it the other day and it's fairly stable. Just make sure you allocate at least 4GB of ram to Minecraft. It's not clear if these features will ever make it to console or PE, but Mojang has been working on a plugin framework for a number of years now which may allow for an "App Store" of sorts where you could install extras that have been approved by Mojang.

I believe it's because 4J Studios is making the X1/PS4/X360/PS3 versions, while Mojang is making the mobile versions.

Also, FTB is amazing.

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A

Its still pretty far behind and will be for a while. Just get it on PC if you can.

rdas7

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2002
London, England
This is such fantastic news. My son who is 5 loves playing on the iPad, as do his friends. I know PocketEdition is "behind" the desktop/console counterparts, however at such a young age the limitations aren't really an issue, and there's the massive advantage of the touch screen. I say 'advantage' because little kids can *tap where they want a block to appear* - whereas on a desktop/console your eyes are looking at the screen, while your hands are managing controls, there's that disconnect. I know everyone reading this takes this for granted now, but for a generation born into touch screens, who are still getting to grips with basic coordination, it's not an insignificant thing to get used to.

levifig

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2008
Ames, IA
For those wondering about mod support, that will come eventually. Mojang has been working towards an official modding API on the desktop version. Whenever that happens (could be several months out still), they'll have the groundwork to be able to bring it to iOS as well. Only potential problem will be if they include a way for mod makers to monetize their mods (fair!) and Apple's rules for external marketplaces in an iOS app…

I guess will wait and see. :)

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013

The PS Vita is getting Minecraft in a months time and if you have already bought the PS3 version, it is free. That contains the majority of things the desktop version has as well as more common updates.

Ambush083

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2008
Hawaii
Cross-platform support would be great. For a while I had the idea that perhaps they were adding little by little to then fully release a game that is cross platform, but I bet nothing will translate to the desktop version. They'd have to redo all the code I'm thinking.

bomcfee

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2014
Running out of memory

Since the update keep getting a notice saying that the app is running out of memory. Not sure how to fix it.

PhamQu

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2013
FL, USA
Since the update keep getting a notice saying that the app is running out of memory. Not sure how to fix it.

After saving and quitting, try clearing out the background apps by double-clicking the home and swiping up. Restarting the device could possibly help too.

Source: iPad 2 with too many jailbreak tweaks. At times, I may only have 100mb of available memory. 100 MEGABYTES. Oh, the pain!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.