Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Original poster
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
For whatever reason, I find mistranslations to be hilarious. If you see any online or manage to snap a picture of something comically bad, post it here. I'll start us off with something on the box of a children's toy:

frO3B32.png

Also, the most interesting approach to marketing pacifiers:

GwAI3V2.png

Last edited:

jruschme

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
Brick, NJ
I don't have a photo of this, but the restroom at a local gas station has a sign which reads:

EMPLOY
MUST WASH HANDS
BEFORE HE
LIVE

Ponder the implications of that one for a while...

wobegong

May 29, 2012
Post Some Bad Translations

These are real photo's taken by me not pulled from Google. :)

1. Entertainment - Concentrate on the sign to the left if you can see it..

4y8ubu3u.jpg

2. From a department store display, totally genuine, the store's suggestion for a Christmas present for the wife - yes that's a mop....

eta4y3a5.jpg

3. Well you can have holy water so why not holy toilet seat cleaner I guess? Pee in Peace....

uqetuqas.jpg

AngerDanger

Graphics
Original poster
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
This was the vegetarian alternative to an entire preassembled burger in a can:

9Ngno7G.png

Reactions: pjarvi

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Sadly I can't post a picture, but the Turkish commentator at the air show today was out of this world. He had the whole field in stitches.

The Handsome Pilots have returned to Europe was one of my favs.

macalla

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2014
One of my favourites - no idea what they were trying to say...

That is funny! Never gets old.
干爆鸭子 - dried deep fried duck

The first word 干, is also the F-word in chinese slang. Hence they do crop up at the most inappropriate times.

Allow me to illustrate: This relatively unknown movie is called, "The Backstroke of the West". You may not have heard of it.
sw15.jpg

SW01_zpsa28c50c2.jpg

swb60tb.jpg

The theory goes, this bootleg copy of the movie had used the Chinese soundtrack as the basis for subtitling, with hilarious results.
你在干什么 ?
"The Backstroke of the West", deconstructed.

Last edited:

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
Damn I havent the bad translated manual anymore. I bought Acer Travelmate laptop years ago (about 10) and that had the worst translation ever in its manual. I was searching how to do a factory reset and the manual talked about "sailors on a deck" (translated from X to my language). Remember that we are now talking about Acer and their laptops for business users.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
That is funny! Never gets old.
干爆鸭子 - dried deep fried duck

The first word 干, is also the F-word in …..[/URL]

lmao awesome, so if someone said this meat is F-word dry it could be translated to dry-dry, Fword-Fword or the best this meat is dry F-word lol

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I saw yesterday in Sam's Club a commercial liquid soap from Sam's brand that said in spanish:
"jabon para labar" (should be lavar) not really funny, but considering how many spanish speakers in the US do commercial cleaning it's kind of funny (spanish is my native language so I can say it :p )

macalla

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2014
lmao awesome, so if someone said this meat is F-word dry it could be translated to dry-dry, Fword-Fword or the best this meat is dry F-word lol

Well, incorrectly yes, if the text were translated from English to Chinese, in which the translator did not grasp the intent of the phrase.

In English the F-word can either mean "to copulate" or mean "extremely".

In Chinese 干 does mean copulate, it is never used in the superlative sense.
So if the meat is ***** dry, the expression means, "extremely dry" so there are several ways to express this.

佷干
实在干
非常干

But I could see a software translator making the mistake of 干干 when it hears "****** Dry!"

It is also used informally like this. 你在干什么 ?What are you doing? It has no sexual or vulgar implications. That's where the translator failed at subtitling in the R2D2 caption above.

Last edited:

Gonzo3333

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
Chicago, IL
One day I had to change the toner cartridge in a photocopier. There was a warning that was translated from what I guess was Japanese that read:

Do not throw toner of toner cartridge into fire as it may consider to get burn

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
One day I had to change the toner cartridge in a photocopier. There was a warning that was translated from what I guess was Japanese that read:

Do not throw toner of toner cartridge into fire as it may consider to get burn

Our old I.T guy changed the warning message on our printer. Instead of insert toner it says more cheese!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.