Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

googlemaps1.jpg
Google today updated its Google Maps app to version 3.2.0, adding several new functions to improve the utility of the app. Search results now appear with descriptions on the map to make choosing an option easier, and search results can be viewed on the map or on a list.

The locations of reservations and appointments drawn in from Gmail are also displayed directly on the map. While Google mentions Explore in the release notes to draw users to try the feature, the local point of interest feature is not new.
What's new

- Search results appear with descriptions right on the map, to help you make choices quickly?
- View search results on the map or in a list and easily switch between them
- See your reservations and appointments from Gmail labeled on the map?-Try the new Explore, a local guide that shows you different places and activities depending on the location and time of day
Google Maps can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Google Maps for iOS Updated to Display Search Results, Gmail Appointments On Map

nikko1423

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2012
Let me get this straight: after searching for something, you get to actually see what you searched for, and its on a Map?!?

Goooooooo Google! Keep innovating! xD

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Let me get this straight: after searching for something, you get to actually see what you searched for, and its on a Map?!?

With descriptions. It's an improvement/enhancement, no one brought up "innovation".

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
You know, if Apple would just open up their map data for community editing, their Maps issues would be over. Or use OpenStreetMap. Or make something called MapKit, and let the community refine it, as they have done so with WebKit.

In fact, I wouldn't mind if they did the same thing for Siri, which hasn't appeared to improve since it's release.

I like Apple for their Apps, but not so much for their Data. I like google for their data.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
I just wished Google maps had Apple UI. I hate the UI of Google maps when compared to Apple maps. When I need to get directions, I have to decide between a nice UI or getting to the destination. Tricky ;)

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
i just wish apple maps roads had the color coding that google does. i like to look and see green, yellow or red. i don't like the dashed lines, i have no idea what that means and where the traffic is

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK

I just opened Google maps on my iPhone and typed coffee. It returned 5 results which I know are all valid.

Doing the same with apple maps I got: 0

Innovation is not owned by Apple.. :rolleyes:

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
You know, if Apple would just open up their map data for community editing, their Maps issues would be over. Or use OpenStreetMap. Or make something called MapKit, and let the community refine it, as they have done so with WebKit.

In fact, I wouldn't mind if they did the same thing for Siri, which hasn't appeared to improve since it's release.

I like Apple for their Apps, but not so much for their Data. I like google for their data.
Google's data is what it is because they were privy to exclusive access to iPhone and iPad data from maps long before android was popular. Apple has been successful in this industry for twice as long as Google has has existed and that is leaving out the decade they tried to do what Google is doing now, including licensing their OS for clones. Going back to going their own way and focusing on their plan has made them the worlds more valuable company by a wide margin. Everyone down talks Apple's stock price but Google has never been within $100 B of Apple's market cap. It's currently flirting with $200 B difference. They would have to beat Exxon first and they are 45 B short there too.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Apple Maps vs. Google Maps is kind of like the Android vs. iPhone choice for me. Let me explain...

I had an Android phone for about 15 months a few years ago -- a Droid X. I liked the customizability of Android; but when it came down to actually doing things that were useful on the phone, it seemed like the phone was constantly getting in the way -- it would reboot in the middle of phone calls, freeze and require a battery pull once every few weeks or so, etc. So while the customization of Android was nice, in the end, I came back to the iPhone because the Android phone wasn't consistently performing well at basic tasks.

I dislike Apple Maps for much the same reason. Having the map and directions on the lockscreen is fantastic and Flyover is neat, I guess; but when it comes down to actually using the app for basic things (looking up a business), the app gets in the way because the POI database sucks. So, I continue to use Google Maps for much the same reason I left Android and came back to the iPhone -- when it comes down to what I need the app to do reliably (get me from A to B), Google Maps has an excellent track record with me and Apple Maps does not.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
I just wished Google maps had Apple UI. I hate the UI of Google maps when compared to Apple maps. When I need to get directions, I have to decide between a nice UI or getting to the destination. Tricky ;)

Yeah, I wish that too. If their UI was good, I'd download the app. I like having two options.

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
Apple Maps vs. Google Maps is kind of like the Android vs. iPhone choice for me. Let me explain...

I had an Android phone for about 15 months a few years ago -- a Droid X. I liked the customizability of Android; but when it came down to actually doing things that were useful on the phone, it seemed like the phone was constantly getting in the way -- it would reboot in the middle of phone calls, freeze and require a battery pull once every few weeks or so, etc. So while the customization of Android was nice, in the end, I came back to the iPhone because the Android phone wasn't consistently performing well at basic tasks.

I dislike Apple Maps for much the same reason. Having the map and directions on the lockscreen is fantastic and Flyover is neat, I guess; but when it comes down to actually using the app for basic things (looking up a business), the app gets in the way because the POI database sucks. So, I continue to use Google Maps for much the same reason I left Android and came back to the iPhone -- when it comes down to what I need the app to do reliably (get me from A to B), Google Maps has an excellent track record with me and Apple Maps does not.

And therein lies a major problem for Android - the variety of equipment which Google has little/no control over and the varying experiences you get from there. My experience of stability of my iPhone is the same as your Droid x, my Nexus 5 is and has been rock solid, not only at basic stuff but complex too. My iPhone can't even fantasise about the tasks my Nexus does automatically, mainly due to the app Tasker, but the quality of the apps is still definitely with the apple App Store - most likely as those with more disposable income (hence likely to spend money on apps) will have the premium priced product - thus drawing the best developers. That and the reduced fragmentation, though Google are working hard it seems to make that less of an issue whilst Apple possibly are going ever so slightly the other way, if different screen sizes are now needing to be handled.

Not sure why you blame Apple for the lack of data instead of Yelp, which provides it.
Right, remind me - which company decides which data provider to use for the Apple Maps app...?

Cyborg21

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2013
I think Apple Maps can be better than Google Maps, it's features like flyover etc. is pretty good, it's integration on Apple ecosystem is pretty good too. It has only 1 problem but sadly that problem affects main purpose of Maps: Lack of Data. It's a lot harder to search somewhere on Apple maps using search bar. If Apple fixes it, they will probably destroy Google Maps on iOS / Mac. Some of my friends use Yandex Maps on their iPhones because they think it's better than Google and Apple Maps. If Apple does not want to use Google base, maybe they can use Yandex data until they finish getting decent amount of data on their own system.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada

I think they can both learn from each other on the UI.

I like the fluidity and general presentation much better on Apple Maps.

But then I think Apple maps looks horrid when in turn-by-turn nav mode where the UI turns into this white-on-white low contrast theme making it very hard to see the upcoming turn info (especially for example if you have your phone mounted on a windshield).

In turn-by-turn mode in Google Maps app the top is high contrast green that really shows upcoming turn info much more clearly. Also traffic is much more clearly visible in Google Maps as opposed to the mess of tiny red dots on the Apple Maps.

Additionally, in Google Maps when you've searched an item you simply press and hold the large car symbol (bottom right corner of map page) and it starts navigating. In Apple Maps you have to find the tiny text on the second search page (not on map page) to start navigation.

So Apple's UI has a lot of room for improvements, and Google's has room too.

RickInHouston

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2014
With descriptions. It's an improvement/enhancement, no one brought up "innovation".

Apple would call it an innovation had they come up with it. But they didn't. Womp, womp, woooomp.

----------

It's only tricky if you are all about the pretty.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Apple would call it an innovation had they come up with it. But they didn't. Womp, womp, woooomp.

----------

It's only tricky if you are all about the pretty.
But since they didn't and no one else did...there's nothing to discuss in relation to it.

PJL500

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2011
A useful enhancement...

would be to be able to edit the History list. (Name some locations and delete others.)

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
I just opened Google maps on my iPhone and typed coffee. It returned 5 results which I know are all valid.

Doing the same with apple maps I got: 0

Innovation is not owned by Apple.. :rolleyes:

Just tested it and have 10 results in my city. I know there is more but as others have sad this is YELP that are providing this info. The solution is to open it up for community to help supply data.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
That's great, but I quit Gmail after two incidents where they leaked my email contacts AND Google search history to email spammers. I searched for car LEDs and a 24-hour watch, and that's exactly what I got emails about later.

Also that thing where it randomly prevents email clients from authenticating into IMAP and SMTP sometimes.

----------

Correct but you can blame Apple for using Yelp in the first place.

And trying to make me download the Yelp app just to check reviews. Bleh.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
That's great, but I quit Gmail after two incidents where they leaked my email contacts AND Google search history to email spammers. I searched for car LEDs and a 24-hour watch, and that's exactly what I got emails about later.

Also that thing where it randomly prevents email clients from authenticating into IMAP and SMTP sometimes.

----------

And trying to make me download the Yelp app just to check reviews. Bleh.
How would they leak information like that and to random renegade spammers? How would that even work?

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/

I don't think Apple or any other reputable company has called anything "innovation" since 2009.

----------

How would they leak information like that and to random renegade spammers? How would that even work?

I can only guess. Probably something through their connected Gmail and web results advertising systems, accidental or on purpose. They kept telling me about how they were going to bring me better ads in Gmail, which I would block.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.