Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
- Year/Make/Model
- Pictures (optional)
- Reliability
- Satisfaction from 1-10
- Next car

Almost had a Mazda6 fully loaded but my heart is really set on a Cadillac and at the end of the day I wasn't getting the deal I wanted. If all goes well by this time next week I should have a CTS with 25k original miles! Do wish it was white since white/gray combined with a black interior is gorgeous on a Cadillac but I'll settle for beige since I found a rare find with the miles at the price I'm looking at. (This will be my first car. No, I don't regret saving up for a practically unused Cadillac and yes, I'm prepared to spend hopefully under $1000/year on maintenance.)

After my CTS, which I plan to turnaround in a year or two at most, I plan to move onto a newer CTS/ATS (probably won't unless I get a deal on a 2014-2015 model), Hyundai Genesis, Mazda6, or Audi A3/A4 depending on the deals I can find and if I decide to spend $12k or more then. Honestly, I'm open to any brand but I find Ford and Chevy to be too mundane, even their current Mustang/Camaro designs. Toyota has become far too boring as well; they should've kept the Solara in their lineup. Infiniti seems like it could be a bold choice as well. Only hear great opinions about Lexus too; it's probably the best all-around luxury brand. Kia is making much more inspired cars nowadays as well. Will probably own a Porsche one day... Heck, I'm considering owning a different car every year or two.

Last edited:

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
2012 Chevy Corvette Grand Sport Convertible 4LT 6 speed manual transmission

Reliability: 10 out of 10

Next car? Either a Corvette C7 once I crack 100,000 miles on my Grand Sport or a used Ferrari 355.

Satisfaction?: Love it.

I bought my Grand Sport 3 years ago right as the 2012's were coming out. Unless its a bad winter day out full of snow and salt and all that, I drive it every day. Ive already put 76,000 miles on it ( I love long road trips ). I have no complaints whatsoever. The ride is very nice, I love how its adjustable as well. Interior very very nice, I love it. Sat nav is good, 6 speed transmission is buttery smooth. Its quiet, comfy, gas mileage is actually very good for a car with super car performance, I've driven it from end of these country to the other.

I do have a nice tune on it, more free flowing exhaust, and a new intake on it, so I making around 500 horsepower, compared to the 430 stock.

I take it to SCCA track days all the time, I've raced in it. And I love how you can drive it every day, and drive it right onto the track, pee all over cars that cost twice as much ;) Last week there a 458 on the track, I couldn't get around him, but I was on his ass for a solid hour ;)

Its never a missed a beat, never had a breakdown, I can't complain.

Well the clutch blew after 9 hours on the track one day, but that was more my fault.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
2007 BMW M Roadster.

Reliability: 10/10

Satisfaction: 12/10

Next car: only 24,000 miles on the car. I'm too old to plan that far ahead!:(

(Not my photo)

BMW%20M%20Roaster.png

Last edited:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
2014 Ford Fusion SE

Reliability 10/10

Satisfaction 10/10

Only 6,000 miles on it, but I love a lot so far. I have it on a 2-year lease.

Next car, I don't know. Maybe another Fusion, maybe a convertible of some sorts.

Attachments

• 2014-05-31 11.07.06.jpg
    2014-05-31 11.07.06.jpg
    372.3 KB · Views: 161

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
2013 Audi A5 Sportback 2.0 TDI

Pictures in the car thread

So far zero major problems, but I'm thinking of booking it in for a service soon. Runs a bit rough at times and I think the motors for the rear windows are dodgy. I also forgot how low it actually is and managed to scrape it over a mountain of a speed bump the other day as well :mad:

Satisfaction? 4/10. It's a gorgeous car, and is smooth and relaxing to drive. Not very exciting though and Audi are stingy with the options. I was "sensible" with the options which I now regret.

I'm thinking next an Audi A7. Either the BiTDI or an S7 if I can stomach the upkeep.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
2007 BMW M Roadster.

Satisfaction: 12/10

Next car: only 24,000 miles on the car. I'm too old to plan that far ahead!:(

This is why I created this thread: to be surprised :eek:. I have never met a single BMW user that ranked reliability so high; especially not on an 07 model. I like to call them BMTroubleW but I'm glad yours has been good to you.

Did you buy new? You must've gotten a great deal similar to my to-be-delivered 25k 2006 CTS if bought used. Was a little worried about maintenance but I guess miles matter more than age.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
We have gone completely electric. My husband got a Tesla, which IMO is too big for the narrow Oslo streets and relatively small parking spaces. So I got myself:

2013 Buddy M9. (Mine is red, not the green one pictured.)

Reliability: 10/10. Gets up to 120 km on a charge, no problems so far. Is only for urban use.

Satisfaction: 10/10. Besides costing next to nothing to use, it can park for free in municipal spaces, and can squeeze in almost anywhere.

buddy-car.jpg

kewet-buddy-04.jpg

Next car: No idea.

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
2014 Toyota Corolla LE

Reliability 10/10
Satisfaction 10/10

I've been leasing Toyota's since 2009 and never once had a problem. All I care about these days is reliable transportation, not performance as I was when I was young. What I like about leasing is I get a new car every couple of years, and without the worry of costly repairs. Plus, I get free oil changes for the first 2 years and free roadside assistance if anything goes wrong. Although I have a 3 year lease, I always end it early (2 years) with no extra cost to me.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
2015 Subaru WRX w/ 6 speed manual

Satisfaction: ∞/10. It's ****ing awesome.

Next car? I've had my car for 6 weeks, hopefully I won't be buying a new car any time soon.

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
2015 Subaru WRX w/ 6 speed manual

Satisfaction: ∞/10

It's ****ing awesome.

I've had 6 Subaru's since 1996. Three Outbacks, and 3 Foresters (2 were turbo's) I have nothing but good things to say about them. I don't lease them anymore because I'm retired now, and the cost is a bit too high for me. Other than that, they were the best cars I ever had in my 44 years of driving...

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
This is why I created this thread: to be surprised :eek:. I have never met a single BMW user that ranked reliability so high; especially not on an 07 model. I like to call them BMTroubleW but I'm glad yours has been good to you.

Did you buy new? You must've gotten a great deal similar to my to-be-delivered 25k 2006 CTS if bought used. Was a little worried about maintenance but I guess miles matter more than age.

I bought it used in 2010...but it only had 6,000 miles on it! Just about past break-in. Never had a moments problem with it...it's a fantastic beast.

Perhaps it's worth pointing out that the M Roadster is not being produced any more (at the moment), and only about 15,000 were ever produced.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Year/Make/Model 2007 Honda S2000
Reliability 10/10
Satisfaction 8/10 or 10/10, it’s very usage specific (see below)

For this ride, I wanted to try a small roadster, something that would be fun around our small city, and since I don’t need a DD, I wasn't concerned about commuting, and something that was unique (~60K imported over the 10 year life cycle).

[edit]

Saw people were noting mileage - which I guess is good for the reliability factor - I’m at about 18K.

( Also fixed a couple of typos :D )

Next car:

I was seriously considering a Nissan GT-R, I’ve had some other high performance Japanese cars, factory turbo cars, and they’re so amazingly tunable. The GT-R is devastatingly fast, has the convince of a dual-clutch setup that lets’ you drive as manual as you want (or simply point and go), AWD, etc.

However ...

I don’t think we can be without a convertible, it’s just too much fun around here (especially in the spring and fall). I originally thought it would be nice to get something with a DC type setup so the wife could operate it as well like an M3 Cab, but that car loses so much of it’s M character because it’s so tubby.

... but with back seats, it would be more flexible.

Then I realized, that’s really the main reason I don’t drive the S2K much, it’s because the three of us are together most of the time, a 4-seater would be terrific! So I started compiling a list of fun, fast, rip snortin’ cars that would satisfy my fun factor, let all four of us cruise, and is a unique model with some kind of interesting history (I’m kind of into the whole experience of the car, how it’s built, etc.).

So that lead to me to what I believe will be my next ride: a Ford Shelby GT500 convertible ('13/’14 with the SVT package and Recaro seats). Fun to drive, retains my preferred manual tranny (only available in manual in fact), roomy, has the very cool connection with one of the motorsport/hotrodding greats in Carroll Shelby - and the icing on the cake: 662HP right off the show room floor.

Satisfaction extra:

The S2K is a stellar execution of a small roadster. It’s nimble, has the best shifter ever put in a car, outstanding seating, great looks, impeccable build quality (mostly hand assembled in the same location as the NSX in Japan). However, it has the limits of a small vehicle, and it’s kinetic, it’s like driving a go kart, and the amenities are minimal, it’s all about the driving experience. When it’s good it’s spectacular, when it’s not, it’s not the best “casual transportation”. It’s kind of an extra car, since we work from the house and have a fantastic 4Runner when we need a beach, tow, family ride, but I’d like a little more use availability, so see above :)

Photos:

1deb0c7e.jpg

c33e9f5c.jpg

6e0a3cae.jpg

Last edited:

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
This is why I created this thread: to be surprised :eek:. I have never met a single BMW user that ranked reliability so high; especially not on an 07 model.

Meet another.

2006 330i; 125k miles, nary a problem. Reliability 100%. I had a 2000 330i before that, got to about 60k miles before I traded it in, 1 medium problem, didn't impact reliability.

The thing about BMWs is that when/if you need to repair one, it's going to be expensive. People tend to complain a lot when a big repair bill comes that way, they make a lot of noise about it, and thus you hear about BMWs breaking down all the time, even while scads of people with BMWs go along with no problems at all.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
2013 Toyota Highlander
9/10
Functional, comfortable, 26mpg not too bad for highway for this size vehicle, reliable (too new to be anything other ;)), but it lacks in exterior design, a bit too boxy for me. It was remodeled for 2014. For this type of car, my favorite was a 2006 Murano, but when we went looking in 2013, quality/design had suffered some. Mercedes, BMWs, Audis, were overpriced. Not enamored enough with just a name to pay an extra $10k.

2013_toyota_highlander_angularfront.jpg

2012 Fiat 500
7/10
Fun to drive, peppy (don't have the turbocharged version), nice design, suspension and comfort not as nice as Toyota (different kind of car), 45mpg highway, 35mpg town, a real bargain compared to the cost of many hybrids. Good for both local and long distance driving as long as the roads are in good shape. :p Several items have been replaced/redesigned (a learning process or because it was built in Mexico? My biggest disappointment was that this car was not built in Italy.

2012-fiat-500-left-side-view-4.jpg

Last edited:

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Meet another.

2006 330i; 125k miles, nary a problem. Reliability 100%. I had a 2000 330i before that, got to about 60k miles before I traded it in, 1 medium problem, didn't impact reliability.

The thing about BMWs is that when/if you need to repair one, it's going to be expensive. People tend to complain a lot when a big repair bill comes that way, they make a lot of noise about it, and thus you hear about BMWs breaking down all the time, even while scads of people with BMWs go along with no problems at all.

To some degree that can be avoided by using a high quality repair shop rather than the dealership...and the repair shop uses BMW parts. I have routine servicing done at a local (excellent) repair shop, and the cost is well within reason.

The dealership (unless still under warrantee) should be avoided unless you don't have a repair shop available with techs who are trained for BMW repairs.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
2007 Saturn Aura XR

Reliability: 10/10. It had a few teething issues as a first model year vehicle, but it has been solid since.

Satisfaction: 10/10 ( only hampered when I drive better vehicles like Corvette's, BMW's, Cadillac CTS/ATS, etc :p)

Next car: Who knows. It only has 37,000 miles on it. Got a while before it dies…. :p

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
2011 Ford Ranger

Reliability: Very good, 10/10
Satisfaction: Very high, 10/10
Next car (truck): Whatever compact manual truck gets to the US market sometime 10 years from now.

I love my zippy little Ranger. It isn't the most powerful or the most modern, but it's very fun to drive and gets great fuel economy at ~29 miles per gallon. Ford made millions of these and they're all so similar from 1998 onwards, lots of parts are fully interchangeable. I'm hoping to keep mine for many more years. With the abundance of spare parts for them, it shouldn't be that hard. The only time it's ever let me down was when it couldn't pull a boat out of the river. 3,300 pounds of boat and stuff was just too much for its otherwise peppy 2.3L engine.

madoka

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
1995 Nissan Maxima
- Reliability: 8 (325,000 miles on the odometer)
- Satisfaction: 10

2008 Lexus IS-F
- Reliability: 9 (90,000 miles on the odometer)
- Satisfaction: 8

2009 Porsche Cayman S
- Reliability:9
- Satisfaction: 7

2013 Nissan GT-R
- Reliability: 10 (only 8,000 miles though)
- Satisfaction: 8

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
2003 Toyota Camry has 186K miles on it. Reliability has been good and overall I'm very pleased with it.

2007 Honda Pilot has 105K miles on it. Reliability has been good and overall I'm very pleased with it.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI

And you're buying a Cadillac, never a paragon of reliability. But, you are buying new, and keeping it for only a couple of years. It might last that long.

We currently have a Toyota and a Mitsubishi, 2012 and 2011. No problems so far.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
And you're buying a Cadillac, never a paragon of reliability. But, you are buying new, and keeping it for only a couple of years. It might last that long.

My families GM products have never given us any major issues. I won't expect my dad's new ATS to be any different.

BMW's are not unreliable. Before switching to Cadillac, my dad's E46 and E90 were fairly reliable. A few glitches, but that was taken care of under warranty. The issue is when it is out of warranty maintenance is expensive. The BMW stealership wanted $1000 to change the battery on the E90.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
2010 Ford Focus SES

Satisfaction: 9/10

Next car: Not for a very long time, hopefully. I plan on driving it into the ground. Bought June 2012 with 28,800 miles and currently at 62,200. Paid off in 2017 - won't pay off early due to decent rate (2.9%) and paying off student loans (4-6.55%) first.

Satisfaction is a 9/10 because on a first car purchase I was a bit fooled going for a certified pre-owned over non, plus the OEM warranty. Basically paid a bit too much for probably an equally reliable, non CPO model. The car itself is a 10/10, the note knocks it down 1.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ

I'm not buying new. The car is eight years old with 25,000 original miles on it though so hopefully I won't have many issues. If I do though I'll be getting rid of it sooner than expected but I will do recommended maintenance on it and hope to pay under $1000 maintenance in the 3k-8k miles I have it.

Jaguarr40

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2014
Sarasota, Florida
I just bought a 2014 Honda Accord EX-L which is completely IOS compatible and with Honda Link and what it calls SIRI EYES you can do many things with it. It has 4 apps that go with Honda link that allows streaming music with Pandora and other internet related items, They make you buy 3 Apple cables including an HDMI cable which cost combined $99.99. You would think they could give them to you so I don't use it and it also uses your data.

The car itself is 10/10 and can't count how many Accords I have had and in 3 years i will get another one. I have not taken any shots of it but if i do I will post them.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
2009 Chevrolet Cobalt [RETIRED]
- Reliability 6/10
Really cheap but the parts were too expensive to fix.

- Satisfaction from 3/10
Absolute garbage, honestly. My life situation changed during ownership, so I moved to Texas and bought my dream car...or so I thought

2008 Audi A4 [RETIRED]
- Reliability 4/10
The oil cooler failed twice in the year and a half I had it. The whole thing started to smell like antifreeze.

-Satisfaction 6/10
I wouldn't say I was turned off from German cars forever, but God knows I'll have to explain buying one again to my wife.

2013 Acura TSX
-Reliability N/A
I bought it brand new. Too soon to call so far.

-Satisfaction 8/10
It's quiet, comfortable, and not too showy. The looks are polarizing and it's not as fast as the Audi was (less torque), but man it feels like it's meant to last and despite the FWD I still enjoy driving it.

Hopefully the Acura lasts a while, because I would LOVE for my next car to be this with the TSX day driver:

2013-Porsche-Cayman-1.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0344.jpg
    IMG_0344.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 150
  • IMG_0027.JPG
    IMG_0027.JPG
    185.1 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.