Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

khaneliman

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2013
Vlad,

If you intend to keep trackpad++ free, why not release the source code?

*edit*

Nevermind. It's not really free, as it stops working without a weekly "update" unless users donate.

No one else finds this suspicious? How do we know Trackpad++ isn't acting as a keylogger, sending info back to the creator during updates?

Yes, very suspicious why a developer would like to receive compensation for services and products provided.

V-l-a-d-i-m-i-r

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 28, 2012
Israel
@xyrate: Very strange, as the website is up, could you try again.

@Quantus: Just to restate, if 51 of 51 antiviruses think the software is clean, then there is nothing suspicious in it. Especially because the software is there since 2010, so even lazy antivirus makers had enough time :) In my experience, only if at least 10-15 of VirusTotal's 51 antiviruses report something, then it's time to consider something suspicious. But we have 0 of 51...

xyrate

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2014
@xyrate: Very strange, as the website is up, could you try again.

@Quantus: Just to restate, if 51 of 51 antiviruses think the software is clean, then there is nothing suspicious in it. Especially because the software is there since 2010, so even lazy antivirus makers had enough time :) In my experience, only if at least 10-15 of VirusTotal's 51 antiviruses report something, then it's time to consider something suspicious. But we have 0 of 51...

Thank you Vlad. Quick follow-up question about the donation amount to get a serial. The site suggests $15, is it mandatory to provide that much to receive a serial for Trackpad++? Thanks!

Quantus

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
Thank you Vlad. Quick follow-up question about the donation amount to get a serial. The site suggests $15, is it mandatory to provide that much to receive a serial for Trackpad++? Thanks!

xyrate has two posts and joined this forum on July 1, 2014. One of your alt accounts, vlad?

xyrate

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2014
xyrate has two posts and joined this forum on July 1, 2014. One of your alt accounts, vlad?

Not really sure why someone isn't able to join the forums and ask questions. Generally speaking, people join forums when they have something they want to discuss. In this case, as you can see from my posts, I had questions regarding Trackpad++.

V-l-a-d-i-m-i-r

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 28, 2012
Israel
@Quantus: If it was my account, I would better write: "Why do you recommend so small donation? The software is so cool, I donated $50 and recommend everybody to do the same to support this outstanding project". Also, why write about site unavailability? This is always distracting for the clients/users. Anyways, a bit of humor never harms :D
Maybe you have some technical suggestion, or can leave some feedback about the features or usage of the Trackpad++? Otherwise, the diagnose could be "troll detected", and I will unfortunately not be able to respond to your messages anymore, despite they are enjoyable :D

khaneliman

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2013
Trackpad++: Alternate Trackpad Driver for BootCamp

Where were you to jump on me joining the forums just because of this thread?

Last edited:

ilovetrackpad

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2014
Hi Vladimir,

Thanks for explaining. I reinstalled Trackpad++ and have learned to use the 3 finger drag perfectly now, thank you!

I have one more question. I am using Trackpad++ 3.0b and I disabled the pinch-to-zoom option by deselecting the checkbox.

When I restart windows, the checkbox for pinch-to-zoom is selected and enabled. This is annoying. Can you please fix this?

Edit: This doesn't only happen when I restart windows. After disabling pinch-to-zoom, I can right click the trackpad++ icon in the taskbar and click Exit, and re-open Trackpad++ Control Module.exe and the pinch-to-zoom checkbox is enabled. All of my other settings are exactly how I adjusted them, except pinch-to-zoom. Please help

Hi Vladimir,

Could you please respond to my post from page 11 (see above)?

Thanks

V-l-a-d-i-m-i-r

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 28, 2012
Israel
@ilovetrackpad: Thank you for reporting. Could you specify do you have Mid-2013/2014 Macbook Air specifically? And what is the version of Windows?
Aha, sorry, I see you specified this on the previous page. Looks like a small bug, not reproducible on Macbook Pro, because actually a different driver binary is being used (Mid-2013/Early-2014 Macbook Pro has a different trackpad device, i.e. different for developer, not for the users, so I had to compile a separate binary for it).
May I ask why do you intend to disable the pinch-to-zoom gesture? There is a setting to decrease pinch-to-zoom sensitivity, it's in the 'Accidental Input' pane of the Trackpad++ Control Module (if it's the case). The pinch-to-zoom was one of the most anticipated gestures of the Trackpad++, that's why I'm asking.

Last edited:

ilovetrackpad

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2014
@ilovetrackpad: Thank you for reporting. Could you specify do you have Mid-2013/2014 Macbook Air specifically? And what is the version of Windows?
Aha, sorry, I see you specified this on the previous page. Looks like a small bug, not reproducible on Macbook Pro, because actually a different driver binary is being used (Mid-2013/Early-2014 Macbook Pro has a different trackpad device, i.e. different for developer, not for the users, so I had to compile a separate binary for it).
May I ask why do you intend to disable the pinch-to-zoom gesture? There is a setting to decrease pinch-to-zoom sensitivity, it's in the 'Accidental Input' pane of the Trackpad++ Control Module (if it's the case). The pinch-to-zoom was one of the most anticipated gestures of the Trackpad++, that's why I'm asking.

I am using 2014 Macbook Air. I am using Windows 7 64-bit with SP1.

I intend to disable the pinch-to-zoom gesture because it interferes with my browsing on a daily basis. There are so many times where I would be reading a wikipedia article and I accidently touch the trackpad and the entire page zooms out. The setting to decrease pinch-to-zoom sensitivity in the 'Accidental Input' pane of the Trackpad++ Control Module doesn't help, it still happens when I am accidently browsing wikipedia or google. Will you be testing trackpad++ on a 2014 Macbook Air anytime soon? I have already donated.

Thanks

V-l-a-d-i-m-i-r

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 28, 2012
Israel
@ilovetrackpad: Right, I have no 2014 Macbook Air to test. However, many people already confirmed the Trackpad++ driver is fully operational with the new model using the 13" Mid-2013 Macbook Air option in the installer. I have no in-depth report, but the positive feedback is an indicator (yes, so far all of the feedback has been solidly positive).
The Trackpad++ pinch-to-zoom gesture has been tested very thoroughly and, especially with the decreased sensitivity option, shall be more than reliable. So, the issue could be related only to the new model. Because I think it would not remain unnoticed in this thread, and my email inbox especially, but there are no such reports. Please contact me via email, maybe this can be further diagnosed and fixed with your (not complex) help. Thank you.

Shadowhawk109

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2010
What to donate to?

I gotta admit, I like Trackpad++, enough that I'm willing to donate in order to stop the annoying as hell weekly disabling/reinstall.

But truth be told I'm not overly impressed with Power Plan Assistant. Like...I'm still not sold as to why I need this thing on my computer.

So, can I get away with just getting the registration for Trackpad++ and NOT having to donate an additional (arbitrary amount) for Power Plan Assistant?

khaneliman

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2013
I gotta admit, I like Trackpad++, enough that I'm willing to donate in order to stop the annoying as hell weekly disabling/reinstall.

But truth be told I'm not overly impressed with Power Plan Assistant. Like...I'm still not sold as to why I need this thing on my computer.

So, can I get away with just getting the registration for Trackpad++ and NOT having to donate an additional (arbitrary amount) for Power Plan Assistant?

You're donating a general amount for the software provided. You get registration for both. You only need PPA to install trackpad ++ initially. You can then remove it and just use registered trackpad ++.

V-l-a-d-i-m-i-r

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 28, 2012
Israel
@ALL: Just wanted to clarify, the Power Plan Assistant shall be mandatory installed only once, before the Trackpad++. If the keyboard backlight management and power scheme / radio toggles are not what you look for, then it is fine to uninstall the Power Plan Assistant... Trackpad++ will not be affected.

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
Hey Vladimir, Trackpad++ still causes VMware Fusion and Parallels to completely freeze when installed on an actual Windows 8.1 partition (not virtual machine container), on my MacBook Air 2013.

With all due respect, I believe I mentioned this previously and you dismissed it, but it's definitely an issue on my computer (confirmed after reinstalling multiple times).

Since the only way I've found to prevent the freeze is not to launch Trackpad++ while using VMware Fusion/Parallels, and Trackpad++ is set to launch at startup, I think you should add a warning in Trackpad++ to not run it at startup if the user experiences lockups on Fusion/Parallels.

V-l-a-d-i-m-i-r

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 28, 2012
Israel
@pickaxe: Thank you for the good advice regarding the warning. In reality I have not been able to replicate this problem, and no other people are reporting anything similar for many months. Sure, could be that some people just do not contact me, actually having this issue (or, maybe in general too few people use the Boot Camp partition to boot the virtual machine in OS X).

@ALL: It is important to realize that the Trackpad++ driver is purely for the real Boot Camp environment, so more sophisticated scenarios such as using Boot Camp partition to boot Parallels or VMware virtual machine are out of scope for the Trackpad++ development. Still, a clear warning makes sense, so I will definitely update the FAQ section, etc.

Cheers,
Vladimir

nightgost

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2014
can you point me to a touchpad driver that allows for normal click while moving arround the arrow?

like moving with one finger and without releasing it, taping with other finger will do left button click.
(without making click sound on touchpad)

i know this works by default on osx.

Thank you, i wound aperciate a solution

joeshmoe08

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2014
I have a problem and wondering if there is a fix. If I highlight some text in the browser and then right click using the click with two fingers like in mac it deselects the text and then does the right click function. Is there a way to apply the right click function with the text highlighted. For example I want to highlight text, copy, and then paste without using keyboard. It works using the right click using bottom right corner of trackpad but I want it to work with click with two fingers.

Also one other question: The software says that it will expire on 8/31. Does this mean that the driver will stop working?

Last edited:

V-l-a-d-i-m-i-r

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 28, 2012
Israel
@nightgost: Sorry, no such feature in Trackpad++. Honestly this is the first request of such feature ever.

@joeshmoe08: There is no such feature in the Trackpad++. 2-finger tap will do the right-click. Alternative - very bottom right corner click (off by default, though). To address your last question, the driver will not stop working, only the Control Module will not load (until updated by running the recent installer). The user experience without the loaded Trackpad++ Control Module mostly mimics the Boot Camp-native driver behavior.

nightgost

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2014
its not a click with two finguers, and i belive you understand the feature im asking, just to clarify on osx i use the midle finger constantly on the trackpad(like having the hand on the mouse) and then the pointer finger softly touches to click. with this i can also drag easily. and never use the hard click.
the two touch right click also works when both fingers are released.

no one asked for this but a lot of people use it on osx.

if its possible to program this on osx its also on bootcamp, even if the hard click needs to be disabled.

joeshmoe08

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2014
Hi thanks for the reply one last question:

Is there a feature to enable the double click and drag? i.e click then clickhold and drag. I believe its a feature because it is listed but idk how to use enable it.

V-l-a-d-i-m-i-r

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 28, 2012
Israel
@nightgost: Sorry to disappoint, but keeping the middle finger constantly on the trackpad, like having the hand on the mouse isn't what Trackpad++ driver expects from a user. But I'm adding this feature to an official wishlist.

@joeshmoe08: There is no 1-finger drag feature in Trackpad++. The 2-finger physical click-hold-drag feature is the basic feature of the Trackpad++, and cannot be disabled. 3-finger drag (which is the native feature of Trackpad++ driver) can be disabled or enabled via Trackpad++ Control Module.

dcfergz

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2014
Hi Vladamir, is there a way to 'undo' the watermark removal? Think it's the cause of blue screen errors i'm getting!

Using Macbook Pro Mid 2010 and Windows 8.1

After a lot of updates and installing / reinstalling Trackpad++ I finally got everything working, just with the watermark showing. Used the Windows OS for about an hour on the train this morning and everything was ok. Ran the remover for the watermark and, as expected, it removed it on restarting the OS. Since this though, it will blue screen with bad pool header error about a minute or two after loading (looks like just after the start up applications have loaded).

Any idea of what this could be and a way to fix it? If not, then a way to 'undo' the watermark removal as i'm certain it's this that is now causing the errors. I'd rather have the watermark and actually be able to use it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.