Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

senseless

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
FCPX when importing from a Canon mini-dv camera, standard 4:3 video stutters and misses frames, creates dozens of clips per scene. I'm using Firewire 800.

I do not have a problem with Final Cut Express. What is going on?

northernmunky

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2007
London, Taipei
FCPX when importing from a Canon mini-dv camera, standard 4:3 video stutters and misses frames, creates dozens of clips per scene. I'm using Firewire 800.

FCP X is a much more resource hungry app than FCP Express. What Mac are you using, CPU and RAM?

northernmunky

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2007
London, Taipei
I have a 2009 2.8mhz I7 quad core iMac with 8 gigabytes of ram.

To be fair that should be enough. Any other apps running that might be taking up resources? Is your FCP install up to date.
Another way to check for issues is activate your guest account, log into that and try t and see if there's a difference.

senseless

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
To be fair that should be enough. Any other apps running that might be taking up resources? Is your FCP install up to date.
Another way to check for issues is activate your guest account, log into that and try t and see if there's a difference.

Everything is up to date and nothing else running. I'll see if this is an HDV issue also. Thanks

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

It's hard to know why. FCPX can do a lot of things while it imports. Shut all that down. Turn off proxy, analysis and creation of "optimized" media. It's in "preferences"

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
It sounds like FCX is more sensitive to glitches in the tape's timecode. For whatever reason FCE seems to be ignoring them.

If Express is capturing it well, though, I'd say capture in that and then move the files over to FCX.

Whatever works.

senseless

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 23, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
It sounds like FCX is more sensitive to glitches in the tape's timecode. For whatever reason FCE seems to be ignoring them.

If Express is capturing it well, though, I'd say capture in that and then move the files over to FCX.

Whatever works.

I think you're right about the FCX timecode sensitivity. I tried a tape made on a different camera (same format) and it was fine. Final Cut Express used to lose sync easily, come to think of it, so this may have been tightened up in X version.

I did not know I could move Final Cut Express files to Final Cut X. This might be something the Express version cannot do, but I will check it out. Thanks!

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I think you're right about the FCX timecode sensitivity. I tried a tape made on a different camera (same format) and it was fine. Final Cut Express used to lose sync easily, come to think of it, so this may have been tightened up in X version.

I did not know I could move Final Cut Express files to Final Cut X. This might be something the Express version cannot do, but I will check it out. Thanks!

There's probably not an in-program way, but just find the files in Finder and then import them to FCX. (I believe they reside in the 'Movies' folder in your user folder.)

I suspect FCX will then copy them to its library and you'll have to erase the originals from FCE to get the drive space back.

An annoying step, but if it works it's worth it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.