Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kimi

macrumors regular
Original poster
I know this is another Apple Care thread, but what is the general reliability of the newest iMacs. From forums you only ever see people with problems, so it's not that reassuring. I don't think I will be able to buy Apple Care as it does cost a lot, and as a high school student I don't think I'll be able to pay for it.

The UK online store has a pay in six payments in the next six months with no interest. I can now get my iMac at the start of January, but I'll have to shave £100 off the amount I can spend.

After the initial 90 days, do you think any bugs will have shown them selves? I don't want to be stuck with a faulty unit.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
You can get Applecare within a year of your purchase, i do not have applecare on my powermac or new powerbook but will be getting it for both when the time comes.

I recommend getting applecare all the time. No matter how reliable all other iMacs are who knows how reliable yours will be in 30 months.

kwajaln

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2004
CHICAGO!
eva01 said:
I recommend getting applecare all the time. No matter how reliable all other iMacs are who knows how reliable yours will be in 30 months.
EXACTLY!!!
I have a Rev B iMac G5 2.0 ghz 20-inch and it has been flawless for the 7 months or so that I have had it. In spite of it being perfect so far, I am very happy that I got AppleCare and recommend, as Eva did, that you do if you can.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
Kimi said:
I know this is another Apple Care thread, but what is the general reliability of the newest iMacs. From forums you only ever see people with problems, so it's not that reassuring.

I wouldn't use the forums as the measuring stick to gauge the reliability of Macs. People come here for help.. if every time someone's iMac was working wonderfully, someone posted a thread about it, I have a feeling that one of the Mods would can them all for being Spamtastic. There'd be hundreds of them.
People come here for help, so it may seem like it there is a disproportionate number of broken iMacs to working iMacs.

Just my 2 cents. (with inflation how it is, that's a really low $... so I'll call it 8 cents. that sounds good.)

FYI
you can buy applecare within the first year. AND it's not only 90 days.. it lasts for a whole year. :) FWIW, most hardware DO fail within 90 days or so...
Enjoy your iMac! :D

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
in all fairness i wouldnt come here and say how long until x goes wrong. it would be very untrue. you can buy apple care at anytime in the first year. that is all you need.

biohazard6969

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
toronto canada
i too am i highschool student and the price for applecare in my opinion is downright outrageous for an extended warranty. someone with my income ($0 :rolleyes: )sure as hell isn't going to be able to afford somthing like that (ik know i kknow, i afforderd the computer itself but lay off ok) bbut i might get it only when my 1 year warranty is about to expire...not sure yet....

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
Kimi said:
I did not know that I could get the Apple Care later! I'll be doing that then! Thanks guys.

it is rather useful that the cost can be offset but any extended warranty will cost quite a bit. its a fact of life :(

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
biohazard6969 said:
i too am i highschool student and the price for applecare in my opinion is downright outrageous for an extended warranty. someone with my income ($0 :rolleyes: )sure as hell isn't going to be able to afford somthing like that (ik know i kknow, i afforderd the computer itself but lay off ok) bbut i might get it only when my 1 year warranty is about to expire...not sure yet....

If i were you I'd continually upgrade my machines just to keep them under warrnanty. If you look at ebay going rates for old macs, they do seem to have decent resale value (a trend which I hope will continue after the transition)

Kimi

macrumors regular
Original poster
russed said:
it is rather useful that the cost can be offset but any extended warranty will cost quite a bit. its a fact of life :(
I know what you mean; my Mum just bough a new dryer and the cost to extend the warranty was more that the thing it's self. It would be better to go out and buy a new one when it breacks. At least with computers the warranty isn't more that the thing you're buying...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.