Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The launch of Apple's 5.5-inch iPhone 6 may be delayed into 2015 as Apple's production issues with the smaller 4.7-inch version will likely carry over into the larger model, according to a new report from KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

iphone-6-front-back-800x536.jpg
Production bottlenecks on 4.7-inch iPhone 6 center on the yield rate of in-cell touch panel and metal casing. As in-cell touch panel becomes larger in size, the edge of the panel may become insensitive to touch. Meanwhile, under new manufacturing process for the iPhone 6 metal casing, color unevenness is an issue.
Kuo adds that these problems become more complicated with the larger 5.5-inch iPhone 6. As these new concerns are coupled with earlier concerns about the production of sapphire displays for the larger device, the analyst believes that the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 may not launch by the end of 2014, or may launch after October in very limited quantities. In the event that the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 is delayed to next year, Kuo believes that Apple will cut the prices of the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c alongside the launch of the 4.7-inch iPhone 6.

Early rumors about the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 pointed towards production issues with the device's display and battery life. However, a report from Bloomberg last month noted that both models would enter production and launch at the same time. Concerns over the metal casings used for the iPhone 6 were also reported late last month, as Apple rejected casings from partner Catcher Technology. However, those issues were said to be over parts found within the casings as opposed to color disfiguration mentioned in this latest report.

Apple is expected to announce and launch the iPhone 6 in September. In addition to a larger screen, both models of the device are expected to include a thinner profile and a faster A8 processor. Both sizes of the iPhone 6 are also expected to feature improved cameras, with the bigger model featuring an optical image stabilization system, while the smaller one will include an enhanced camera module.

Article Link: Apple Facing Production Issues with iPhone 6 as 5.5-Inch Version May Be Delayed Until 2015

kiantech

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2007
we go from issues to no issues to issues again. Let's just wait until the announcement before reacting at this point.

dansix

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2012
Booooo. I wish somebody would get their **** together already... heads need to roll.

Last edited by a moderator:

locoboi187

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2012
Yeah right, Apple isn't delaying their iPhones for anything. There may be shortages but it will be probably be released the same time it is every year.

Britney Spears

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2013
The general lack of info on the 5.5" iPhone is upsetting.
Don't think we should expect it, at this point. #

Guess I'll hold on to my 5S another year.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
I know every product faces yield issues and screen issues at some point in production, but how is it the 4.7 would face less than the 5.5? Why doesn't samsung have these problems? Different display tech? Why doesn't apple use the type Samsung uses if that is the case?

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
I wonder why HTC and Samsung don't face any of these kind of issues. New products are being released every year with multiple screen sizes.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
I made something up thinking i was right and realized due to the lack of leaks i was wrong, so I'm going to say they are having issues so it still looks like I'm right, if it ends up actually happening i will say they sorted out the issues last second - Every Analyst ever.

lewisd25

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
I know every product faces yield issues and screen issues at some point in production, but how is it the 4.7 would face less than the 5.5? Why doesn't samsung have these problems? Different display tech? Why doesn't apple use the type Samsung uses if that is the case?

If companies followed your line of reasoning, there wouldn't be innovation in technology.

Nismo73

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2013
I made something up thinking i was right and realized due to the lack of leaks i was wrong, so I'm going to say they are having issues so it still looks like I'm right, if it ends up actually happening i will say they sorted out the issues last second - Every Analyst ever.
Great. And now they're going to go on cnbc and bloomberg and report this and the anchors on the show are going to freak out investors.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
This has to be the most irresponsible reporting jobs I have ever seen. The only sure thing is that a 4.7" will be release. Other than that everything else is not certain; it changes every other day.
I understand that this is a rumor site but what qualifies the rumors to be posted here? Over half the crap is not true.

Alphabetize

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2013
I hope this sized iPhone does eventually come out, I would love an iPhone at that size. Also, I am still loving that mock up image.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.