Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Exactly. If Apple want to make a 5.5", they'll make it.

There will be no sapphire screen on either new iPhone, that will be the feature they use for the iphone 6s.

:apple:

That makes zero sense. The 'S' series phones don't feature redesigns.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
If this happens it's game over for Apple in the smartphone market. Apple is already dying a slow death in this market; this will just about put the nail in the coffin.

What utter tosh! Apple, for all of its flaws, can do one thing right, and that is manufacture smartphones. They've been doing an award-winningly good job of it for the past 8 years, and consumer satisfaction tops all other phones.

In all fairness, changing the material of the front panel isn't necessarily a complete redesign.

Besides, the iPhone 5S gained a fingerprint scanner, which brought about a redesigned home button.

Last edited:

ChanneledDan

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2012
It was NEVER coming! Yes, I believe they HAD a prototype, but that's it!

Why not you say?

1.) iPad sales would plummet (yeah yeah I know us loyalist will buy it but...).

2.) They will contradict EVERYHING that they have been marketing!

3.) iOS 7 added many gestures that only make sense with one handed use.

4.) Lastly, why should they? You were going to buy it anyways! :p

1.) I'm not so sure. If anything people might be more likely to buy a larger iPhone and a full size iPad rather than an iPhone + iPad Mini.

2.) Apple doesn't care about the past. That Steve Jobs quote about watching video on an iPod?...

3.) actually I think the back/forward edge swipes are so you don't have to reach your thumb all the way to the navigation Bharat the top of the screen. You know, in case they're planning on making the screen bigger...

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012
Let me see if I understand. Are you telling me Samsung, HTC, and LG have mastered the larger screen phones and Apple is having difficulty? Baloney!

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
I don't think they will release two phones a few months apart from each other.

They either both come out later this year, if the 5.5 is still on the radar, or they release it next year on the S cycle, if ever.

From the very beginning when people were saying the assumption is the 5.5 will come a few weeks or months later was completely illogical knowing Apple first of all, and second of all it makes no sense because everyone would hesitate to buy the 4.7 and be confused.

Whatever the rumors indicated doesn't matter because Apple would never do that and is unprecedented.

This is the worst news since they dropped the 17inch MBP.

iKane

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2013

The iPhone 5s changed the colour of the black and white iPhone 5s (<~ that's iPhone "fives") as well as bringing in an entirely new colour, and included a fingerprint scanner which included a whole new design for the home button.

ebouwman

Cancelled
Jan 5, 2007
I know every product faces yield issues and screen issues at some point in production, but how is it the 4.7 would face less than the 5.5? Why doesn't samsung have these problems? Different display tech? Why doesn't apple use the type Samsung uses if that is the case?

You're making a couple silly assumptions here. For 1) you assume that the only difference between the 4.7 and 5.5 is the screen size 2) you're assuming this rumour is true 3) you assume that Samsung doesn't have these problems.

There are a million factors that could potentially delay the 5.5 inch phone but at this point we can't even call it a delay on out end because THE PHONE HASNT BEEN ANNOUNCED YET. A couple of you guys seem to be all like oh Samsung doesn't have these problems, HTC doesn't have these problems. I don't know of it still is but Apple was the single largest smartphone manufacturer a few years ago, producing more smartphones that samsung HTC or any others individually so you can't even directly compare them.

EDIT. I'm probably wrong on this last point about Apple making more phones than Samsung but I still think it's very unfair to compare the two companies when realistically we know NOTHING about the logistics of either company!

Last edited:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
In all fairness, changing the material of the front panel isn't necessarily a complete redesign.

Besides, the iPhone 5S gained a fingerprint scanner, which brought about a redesigned home button.

True, but a brand new screen out of sapphire seems to me like a big redesign. I suppose it could get pushed to 2015 if there are manufacturing issues but I don't think Apple would intentionally keep it for the 'S' series phone. Apple is going to want something besides a larger screen to crow about this fall.

StyxMaker

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2010
Inside my head.
There have not been any 5.5" part leaks BECAUSE A 5.5 IS NOT COMING OUT!

I have to agree, 5.5" iPhone 6 never existed other than, perhaps, as a prototype. There is no evidence they ever had plans to release one.

----------

I love this site, but I must say, sometimes the rumors are misleading.

Last week they said September, this week 2015, whats next????

This is very confusing. :confused::(

That's the nature of rumors.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
The iPhone 5s changed the colour of the black and white iPhone 5s as well as bringing in an entirely new colour, and included a fingerprint scanner which included a whole new design for the home button.

Yes, but I wouldn't consider a new color a redesign. The form factor stayed the same, except for the new home button to support Touch ID . I just have a hard time believing Apple would intentionally delay a sapphire screen until next year.

Apple earnings release is in a week or so, so I won't be surprised if we see more FUD come out to drive the stock down.

Ralf The Dog

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008
I have it under good authority, Apple will delay the iPhone 6 and the iPhone 6xl until September 2014. Apple is also having trouble with the iPhone 6sXL design that may not be released until q4, 2015.

/s.

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008
With a completely new case design potentially using new materials, it's expected that there would be production issues, on both the 4.7" and 5.5" model. It will take a few months until they can ramp up the production to meet worldwide demand.

So to me it makes sense that Apple would want to first concentrate their efforts on the 4.7" model, which will be the most popular.

And lessons learned while mass producing the 4.7" will be applied to future production of the 5.5" for a smoother launch in 2015.

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
If this happens it's game over for Apple in the smartphone market. Apple is already dying a slow death in this market; this will just about put the nail in the coffin.

their last quarter just set a new record. :rolleyes:

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
Three pages and no one has stated the obvious:

This wouldn't have happened if Steve Jobs were alive!

/s

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
The general lack of info on the 5.5" iPhone is upsetting.
Don't think we should expect it, at this point. #

Guess I'll hold on to my 5S another year.

I'm buying the 4.7" anyway, so I guess I don't care if the Phablet is delayed.

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
I've never believed in this 5.5" iPhone anyways. When all the leaks started coming they were all 4.7" parts. We've seen a couple 5.5" mockups and a back panel or something. That's it.

The iPhone lineup will end up being iPhone 6, 5s and 5c.

Who's to say this 5.5" wasn't some prototype anyway.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Love to see the cost analysis of using Foxconn vs. the domestic Apple facility in quality control issues and cost of labor. If the iPhone 6 is a premium smartphone, why not make it in the USA?

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
uh I think its been obvious for awhile that there never was a 5.5" iPhone. Also these reports are BS because there is no reason that the casing would be an issue apple has been using coloured aluminum casings for years. The in cell is unlikely to be an issue also there are many other phones with larger displays which has no issue. The issue is that the 5.5" was stupid because if its anything like the mockups apple needs to attack bezel height more than thickness before they try to release a phone with such a large display or it won't even fit in your pocket without sliding out the top (galaxy notes have this issue)

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
this reminds me of when the white iphone 4 was delayed till like a month before the release of the 4s

at any rate it'll be good for apple. they'll get a sales boost mid cycle when this is released after christmas, giving them a big bump before having to wait till the following fall for the new model.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
In other words, both sizes will be released at the same time but quantities of the larger size are very limited. Who didn't see this coming? It happens every release cycle to some variant of iPhone. Worthless rumor.

1Zach1

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2008
Northern Va
And the 48 hour countdown for the "5.5" model to be released with 4.7" model" article starts, that seems to be about the time for these posts going back and forth.

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012

...what?

Even taking into account Android, 66% of the smartphone market this year has been phones under 5.5 inches.

Like, I get that people want 'phablet' size iPhones, but Apple is not dying a slow death and will not die a slow death if they only release the 4.7 phone. There simply isn't enough demand for the 5.5 phone - at this point, anyway. Even people who are buying other OS' favour the 4.7 size and under.

At this point I think it is simply more likely that the 5.5 phone was not slated for release this year at all. Given that we haven't seen any parts at all, this is the most likely scenario. So if we see it at all, it will probably be next year at the regular release time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.