Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Users experiencing difficulties accessing their iCloud Mail are not alone, as Apple is currently reporting an outage affecting the ability to receive mail through the service (via Business Insider).

icloud_mail_down_jul_1314.jpg
While the issue affects only 0.1% of users, it is notable that it has persisted for approximately 17 hours now, having begun at roughly 1:30 PM Pacific Time yesterday.

Apple has not yet provided an estimate of when the problem will be resolved.

Update: After approximately 27 hours, Apple reports the issue is now resolved.

Article Link: iCloud Mail Outage Hits Small Number of Users for 17 Hours and Counting

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I can receive and read emails...but unable to send an email.

for now...

unable to delete...basically access is not much right now.

Sandstorm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2011
Riga, Latvia
I don't know if it's connected, but today I noticed stange new holidays in Calendar app. Turns out they are from a new calendar - Mexican holidays. Had to delete it. I definitely would never need or subscribe to that. :) I'm guessing it appeared because of some iCloud glitch...

harrisonw1998

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2011
I don't know if it's connected, but today I noticed stange new holidays in Calendar app. Turns out they are from a new calendar - Mexican holidays. Had to delete it. I definitely would never need or subscribe to that. :) I'm guessing it appeared because of some iCloud glitch...

This is another recent glitch...https://www.macrumors.com/2014/07/07/ios-os-x-holiday-calendar/

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England

OriginalMacRat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2007
Back to Mac as well

I'm unable to access my other Macs via Back to Mac today.

Might be more than a mail server issue going on.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
Interestingly, Cloud Magic, probably the best email app for iOS, was completely down for both icloud and gmail seervers for about 6 hours yesterday. I wonder what is really going on?

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Is this why my iCloud mail kept the status "offline" yesterday while my school email was fine?

I spent way too long trying to fix that.

macpluslaptop

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
This is why...

....some of us don't trust the Cloud. I'm one of the affected users, and I wonder if they're downplaying it. In any case going without e-mail going on a full day is really unacceptable. I wouldn't ever use just one proprietary service, and this is why.:mad:

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Ugh, for ~10 years from .Mac to iCloud I've never had an issue. Now, OS X 10.10 development has been a headache. Thankfully all things are working better on my 10.9.3 partition.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
....some of us don't trust the Cloud. I'm one of the affected users, and I wonder if they're downplaying it. In any case going without e-mail going on a full day is really unacceptable. I wouldn't ever use just one proprietary service, and this is why.:mad:

My apologies in advance, but this has been a sore spot for me for well over 20 years. There was a pair of vice-presidents that, in the midst of a system outage, would, red-faced, demand, "What are you going to do to make sure this never happens again?" Uh, how about postponing this meeting until after we have the system back up?

Unless your mail server is in your home, you're using the "cloud" for email. The only question is whether the remote server is using POP or IMAP for your incoming mail protocol - effectively, whether you store your email archive on your computer (which will never fail, of course), or the server.

100% up-time is impossible, whether you're hosting at home, or using an off-premises server. Something is going to go down, it's only a question of what it'll be, and when. That's why Murphy's is a law, rather than a theorem.

That doesn't mean an outage isn't inconvenient, or worse, and it's surprising that this particular outage hasn't been cleared by now. I'm not sure why it's "downplaying it" on Apple's part, when the situation is posted for all to see at System Status. Is Tim Cook supposed to hold a press conference? And if he did, do you think anyone but the likes MacRumors would report it? What can they do, other than get the thing fixed, that would materially change things?

And let's face it, in the days of, "Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds," that was a goal, not an incontrovertible truth.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
Darn, I was hoping they'd fixed this after MobileMe was discontinued.

----------

Unless your mail server is in your home, you're using the "cloud" for email. The only question is whether the remote server is using POP or IMAP for your incoming mail protocol - effectively, whether you store your email archive on your computer (which will never fail, of course), or the server.

100% up-time is impossible, whether you're hosting at home, or using an off-premises server. Something is going to go down, it's only a question of what it'll be, and when. That's why Murphy's is a law, rather than a theorem.

Well AOL mail has been more reliable than iCloud has been :p

----------

My iCloud works my gmail doesn't. It keeps telling me my password is wrong. I downloaded the gmail app for now.

Yeah, this annoying thing is half the reason I quit Gmail. "Password incorrect", probably because I didn't set up two-step authentication or Google+ or a verified phone number or whatever they want from me this time.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
I should have about 10 emails by now to my four different addresses hosted by three different companies. I have one. This could be a huge nationwide problem?

JMCV

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2014
Mail in iCloud inbox disappeared

This past Saturday, July the 12th, I opened the Mail application in my Mac to find an empty iCloud inbox, the same thing going through my iPhone and the iCloud site. A test email sent with another account was received but the previous hundred or so emails I had simply dissappeared.

Has anyone had the same issue? How could someone proceed towards an apparent technical problem which could affect greatly?

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
When I logged into my work iMac this morning, it popped up with something asking me to put in my iCloud password, which I've never seen it ask for before. I clicked no, and my iMessages app froze up repeatedly, even after force closing, and mail wouldn't find any of my messages when I would search. The iCloud panel in system preferences was also unresponsive. It was really weird and kinda freaked me out. Not sure if it's related to this? Rebooting seemed to fix it. In all I ended up sending a whole bunch of error reports to Apple after all the force quitting.

class77

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
I've been out of town for 2 days and unable to get any mail from 4 different services(comcast,att,apple or gmail) to come to either my iPad or my iPhone. Could this be the problem or should I keep looking for the culprit?

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I've been out of town for 2 days and unable to get any mail from 4 different services(comcast,att,apple or gmail) to come to either my iPad or my iPhone. Could this be the problem or should I keep looking for the culprit?

I have iOS 7, 8 and OS X 10.9.3 and 10.10 running on different partitions on the same systems, it honestly only seems prevalent with iOS 8 and OS X 10.10 devices. My test iPhone 5S is buggy as all, with a clean install of iOS 8, while my work 5S with iOS 7 (same config's) runs smooth as silk.

Chalk it up to some of the worst beta releases [that I've used in 10+ years].

MMANN113

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2014
California USA
Yet people say I'm crazy for not wanting to put all of my data in the cloud. Until I stop seeing stories like this I think I'll stick with local storage.

class77

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
I have iOS 7, 8 and OS X 10.9.3 and 10.10 running on different partitions on the same systems, it honestly only seems prevalent with iOS 8 and OS X 10.10 devices. My test iPhone 5S is buggy as all, with a clean install of iOS 8, while my work 5S with iOS 7 (same config's) runs smooth as silk.

Chalk it up to some of the worst beta releases [that I've used in 10+ years].
Not running anything fancy, just plain on 7.1.2 on both devices, so new OS are not the problem. I wish somebody could tell me the actual cause, because I've had every iPad since #1 and this is my 2nd iPhone. Never had this happen before with either

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Apple still having mail issues after all this time? Gutted. Blessed I don't use iCloud.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Every time I think about moving my email to my .icloud/.me address, something like this happens. Oh, and I also go to site and see how their web interface makes me cry a little. Seriously, you'd think they'd make something a little less completely horrible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.