Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dansix

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2012
I would ask him why Apple doesn't just develop OSX for all computers... which would just lead to complete and utter domination of the PC market. Also, why Apple hasn't come up with an answer to Microsoft Office, which would lead to the destruction of Microsoft.

tomtendo

Suspended
Aug 29, 2009
Florida
I snapped this photo of Eddie during the NBA playoffs (at a GS Warriors game)... Pretty sure this is him. I never got a response from @MacRumors when I tweeted it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-14 at 4.32.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-14 at 4.32.37 PM.png
    514.6 KB · Views: 72

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I would ask him why Apple doesn't just develop OSX for all computers... which would just lead to complete and utter domination of the PC market. Also, why Apple hasn't come up with an answer to Microsoft Office, which would lead to the destruction of Microsoft.

I do not believe Apple has the skills to do that.
You can throw a million permutations of hardware together and get Windows to run on it. Heck Apple have enough trouble getting OSX to run perfectly on the tiny range of machines they make and have 100% hardware control over.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
I do not believe Apple has the skills to do that.
You can throw a million permutations of hardware together and get Windows to run on it. Heck Apple have enough trouble getting OSX to run perfectly on the tiny range of machines they make and have 100% hardware control over.

Apple did license out their OS back in the mid 90s. Then one of the first things Steve Jobs did when he returned was to discontinue that practice. The problem was that the 3rd party companies would undercut Apple's retail value and sell their computers for far less. Obviously this would eat into Apple's sales. Apple would be forced into a race toward the bottom by lower retail price with shrinking profit margins. Basically Apple would put themselves in the same position as all the PC manufactures where they make almost no profit on each device and can't innovate in the future because they can't support the R&D budget.

Apple makes money off hardware sales and they develop OS X to support the hardware. Apple's money isn't in licensing like it is for Microsoft or Google.

It would be quite easy to port OS X to work on every modern PC because Macs already use standard hardware with Intel CPUs and AMD/Nvidia GPUS. But like I pointed out, they already did that in the past and it would be corporate suicide.

Populism

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2014
His name has always, to me, sounded like a fake mafia name:
"Yo, we gotta job for someone with a certain set of skills. We'll say MacBook Air skills, and a certain knowledge of basketball."
"Betta call Eddie Cue."

skwash

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2012
If you wait till fall to have lunch with him you get a 12" Macbook rAir. But really, you would think they could have at least maxed out the specs on the Air that comes with the lunch.

Current bid is $40k

dansix

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2012
Apple did license out their OS back in the mid 90s. Then one of the first things Steve Jobs did when he returned was to discontinue that practice. The problem was that the 3rd party companies would undercut Apple's retail value and sell their computers for far less. Obviously this would eat into Apple's sales. Apple would be forced into a race toward the bottom by lower retail price with shrinking profit margins. Basically Apple would put themselves in the same position as all the PC manufactures where they make almost no profit on each device and can't innovate in the future because they can't support the R&D budget.

Apple makes money off hardware sales and they develop OS X to support the hardware. Apple's money isn't in licensing like it is for Microsoft or Google.

It would be quite easy to port OS X to work on every modern PC because Macs already use standard hardware with Intel CPUs and AMD/Nvidia GPUS. But like I pointed out, they already did that in the past and it would be corporate suicide.

Interesting but it would be a new market for Apple, one that has been ignored in the past. I never understood why. Why wouldn't Apple want to dominate PC's? It would lead to more revenue. I think they're in a position to do that now but I know they're not a software-centric company. I just feel as if there is this gaping hole in the market... nobody really wants to use Windows because of the virus's the constant maintenance, and just the utter lack of design taste... and Office can be a pain in the arse... it would be nice if Apple could focus more on software, I know it's big enough to do it, and it definitely has the capital to expend.

Woyzeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2012
If I'd ever get an opportunity to dine with Jony Ive I'd force him to eat soup from a perfectly flat plate.

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
since Eddy is also on he BoD for Ferrari, I think they should throw one those in as well as a MBA... That should get the bids going. ;)

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
If we had $10K to spend, we would buy a tricked out Mac Pro not a MacBook Air. Let Tim have lunch with Eddy.

Quadrant4

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2014
I think the whole premise of

these auctions is lame. Only rich people can pony up enough money to have lunch or coffee with Cook or Cue? That's so freaking lame. They aren't going to tell you anything secretive about what they are working on that hasn't been mentioned publicly, so what would be the point? So, some rich person can say they had lunch or coffee with Cook or Cue?

Cook and Cue must have HUGE egos to even THINK about doing this. It's all to serve Cook's and Cue's massive ego. They need to feel relevant. I guess even the rich have plenty of insecurities.

Plus I don't know if it comes with a test drive in Eddy's Ferrari where he lets you drive it for a couple of hours.

Last edited:

Quadrant4

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2014

Eddy doesn't do anything with the OS or outside of his scope of work, which is mostly iTunes and other Internet services. So Eddy can only intelligently talk about the iTunes and App Store for the most part. If you want to ask about OS X for non-Apple motherboards, talk to Ive or Cook about that, but they are simply going to tell you that they don't want to support non-Apple motherboards, etc. It would cost too much and they would probably end up giving a lot worse support. That's why Apple's support is as good as it is, they have more control over what they support. if they make it or bless, they can support it better.

Look at Microsoft, they have horrible support and they off load most of their support to the OEM mfg and they don't have very good support either. Plus, if Apple were to offer OSX as an install on PCs, they would probably have to charge about $200 to $300 a year for the license with phone support. I don't think they would get many takers on that.

Quadrant4

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2014
If you wait till fall to have lunch with him you get a 12" Macbook rAir. But really, you would think they could have at least maxed out the specs on the Air that comes with the lunch.

Current bid is $40k

$40K? What a rip. If I had a spare $40K to throw away, I'd buy a maxed out MacPro, MacBookPro and have money left over to buy some high end storage system, a bunch of third party apps and then STILL have money left over to get a refreshed maxed out MacMini, iPhone 6, iPad 5. Or, I'd buy a damn nice stereo, or something else for $40K. But lunch with Cueball? Nope. I've got better things to do.

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
Interesting but it would be a new market for Apple, one that has been ignored in the past. I never understood why. Why wouldn't Apple want to dominate PC's? It would lead to more revenue. I think they're in a position to do that now but I know they're not a software-centric company. I just feel as if there is this gaping hole in the market... nobody really wants to use Windows because of the virus's the constant maintenance, and just the utter lack of design taste... and Office can be a pain in the arse... it would be nice if Apple could focus more on software, I know it's big enough to do it, and it definitely has the capital to expend.

Did you read a word I said? In the long-run the competition forces prices downward until there is little/no profit. From ASUS wiki. In 2011 their revenue was close to 15 BILLION, profit was only 500 MILLION tho. Apple's profit margins are much higher on it's MacBooks, iMacs, and Mac Pros.

$40K? What a rip. If I had a spare $40K to throw away, I'd buy a maxed out MacPro, MacBookPro and have money left over to buy some high end storage system, a bunch of third party apps and then STILL have money left over to get a refreshed maxed out MacMini, iPhone 6, iPad 5. Or, I'd buy a damn nice stereo, or something else for $40K. But lunch with Cueball? Nope. I've got better things to do.

dinner with him is probably worth more than 1 yr tuition at a Ivy League school.

Quadrant4

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2014
dinner with him is probably worth more than 1 yr tuition at a Ivy League school.

How is dinner or lunch with Cue worth more than 1yr tuition at an Ivy League school? At least at an Ivy League school you can at least get 1 yr credit towards a 4 yr degree, which would be better on your resume. but I highly doubt that someone with an extra $40K doesn't already have a degree, or maybe two of them. I don't see what one would gain from it. He can't discuss anything that's protected by NDA, so you won't get any privileged information on things Apple is working on. You aren't going to get a behind the scenes look at prototypes and products that haven't been announced, so it's more like a 1 hour of bs so he can gloat over his Ferraris and tell you how great his life is. You'd probably have to take a shower to get all of the slime off your body after spending an hour with him.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.