Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's iOS 7 adoption rate continues to grow, even as the release of iOS 8 approaches. As of yesterday, 90 percent of devices connected to the App Store are running iOS 7, according to new numbers posted on Apple's App Store developer support page.

The new milestone, which comes 10 months after the operating system's original release, is a three percent increase from installation numbers of 87 percent back in April.

ios7adoption.jpg
As adoption of iOS 7 has climbed, iOS 6 installation rates have dropped slightly, going from 11 percent in April to 9 percent on July 13. Earlier operating systems continue to run on two percent of devices.

Apple's mobile operating systems have traditionally seen quick adoption rates due to the company's easy over-the-air updates, and just three months after being released, iOS 7 was on 74 percent of devices. iOS 8, coming this fall, will undoubtedly see a similarly rapid adoption rate, overtaking iOS 7 in a matter of weeks.

iOS 8 includes a number of new features that will be highly appealing to consumers, including interactive notifications, third-party keyboard support, and several new Continuity features that allow an unprecedented level of integration between iOS devices and Macs.

Article Link: iOS 7 Adoption Hits 90% Ten Months After Release

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Since they forced us to upgrade to seven there is no doubt they will continue this policy and force us to eight by removing FaceTime again and probably iCloud will be next.
Here's the problem coming down the pike. I was forced to upgrade my hardware to support 10.6 after I updated to ios7 last year, when I'm forced to update to ios8 this year they will probably require 10.8 or greater which I can't run on my newer hardware and this will be my third hardware change in two years!

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
Since they forced us to upgrade to seven there is no doubt they will continue this policy and force us to eight by removing FaceTime again and probably iCloud will be next.
Here's the problem coming down the pike. I was forced to upgrade my hardware to support 10.6 after I updated to ios7 last year, when I'm forced to update to ios8 this year they will probably require 10.8 or greater which I can't run on my newer hardware and this will be my third hardware change in two years!

My old iMac can run the latest OS X. iOS 7 support iPhone as old as 4s. Why do you have to upgrade your hardware?

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
Add my grandma to that list. My aunt updated her 4S to iOS 7 for some reason. Now she's confused, and the Phone app randomly froze today. Hopefully she'll remember my lesson on how to force-quit apps now that that's actually a problem.

Shouldn't an irreversible system-wide update at least require the passcode, or better yet, the Apple ID used for that phone?! :mad: Meanwhile, you need sudo to do anything in Debian other than opening OpenOffice.

----------

My old iMac can run the latest OS X. iOS 7 support iPhone as old as 4s. Why do you have to upgrade your hardware?

Different people have different definitions of "old". I'm guessing he's got a G5 that works fine and would rather not be forced to buy a new computer just for his iPhone. Oh yeah, and even though iOS 7 "supports" the 4S, I would not install it on there.

----------

Poor Android :-(

That's not the worst part.
abjqa.png

MMANN113

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2014
California USA
Add my grandma to that list. My aunt updated her 4S to iOS 7 for some reason. Now she's confused, and the Phone app randomly froze today. Hopefully she'll remember my lesson on how to force-quit apps now that that's actually a problem.

Shouldn't an irreversible system-wide update at least require the passcode, or better yet, the Apple ID used for that phone?! :mad: Meanwhile, you need sudo to do anything in Debian other than opening OpenOffice.

----------

Different people have different definitions of "old". I'm guessing he's got a G5 that works fine and would rather not be forced to buy a new computer just for his iPhone.

----------

Ha! This chart is so perfect.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Who are those 9% people? Are they the ones that post "Steve Jobs would allow that..." In every thread?

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012

Yeah my previous system was a G5 8GB / OSX 10.5 / iTunes 10.6
Now I have a MacPro 1,1 8GB / OSX 10.6 / iTunes 11.3
I have a limited budget and I can still run my CS2 through Rosetta on 10.6.
A new system + software is way to pricey.
My next system will be another 4-6 year old system on the cheap with included software like CS3.
But I did notice I can run Windows XP or Vista on my MacPro pretty good if needed. Virtual PC was way too slow on my G5.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
Why not? Every 4S that I have seen has run iOS 7 beautifully and smoothly.

It seems fine on my iPhone 5, a little faster in fact. Not so on every 4S I have seen. Plus it probably raises the resale value to have iOS 6 :cool:

Last edited:

rols

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2008
So those figures are measured from devices connecting to the App Store over a one-week period. That's not a totally unbiased nor long-lived sample. Also I wish they would break down what percentage of devices were updated to the latest OS they were capable of running. I still have an iPad I take to the gym which runs iOS6 because that's as far as it will go. This year's iOS8 release will leave at least one more device in the house behind. Phones tend to be pretty recent, iPads lag in my house.

I'd think if only eligible devices were considered in that chart, it would be even more impressive.

iisdan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2010
Lets see what this chart would look like if you could go back to iOS6

----------

Who are those 9% people? Are they the ones that post "Steve Jobs would allow that..." In every thread?

They are people who understand "flat" design means flat as in flat pop not 2D. It's boring and you sheep will realize it when the fad dies.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
lol wow...

Poor Android :-(

Try comparing the Nexus and other Android that phones that run pure Android. That don't require carriers to release 'their' versions. While the iPhone obviously will have more market share, the percentage will be way different.

Pathetic post. Let me know when iOS features catch up to Android before you it 'sucks.' iOS just got third party keyboard support, amongst other things.

Last edited:

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
Pathetic post. Let me know when iOS features catch up to Android before you it 'sucks.' iOS just got third party keyboard support.

Android's ahead because it has third-party keyboard support? Let me know when it can actually sync with a computer properly and doesn't look and run like a complete mess. So far, it's like trying to use Debian on a home PC, except less predictable. I mean, at least it's better than Windows.

----------

Yes. Yes they are.

You may also know them as the people who say those bezels make me cringe and Apple is doomed.

Or people who don't buy new a new iPhone every two years, or people who care about the color scheme and icons more than the few added features and can't jailbreak the iOS 7 icons to death like I did.

----------

Lets see what this chart would look like if you could go back to iOS6

I'm genuinely interested in seeing a chart of this. All someone has to do is run a survey. "If you have iOS 7, would you downgrade to iOS 6 if you were given the choice?" My grandma was a bit PO'd that someone updated her phone to iOS 7, so she's say yes.

Last edited:

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011

I have been on Android exclusively since the day the Nexus 4 came out. Got the Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 on day one as well. This could not be more true. And I can't wait to get off Android and move to the iPhone 6 when it comes out. Once you get over Androids customization factor, you realize it is just an ugly, inconsistent, unstable, and poorly optimized OS.

Now bring on the Android fanboys who will undoubtedly disagree and tell me how wrong I am.

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
Yeah my previous system was a G5 8GB / OSX 10.5 / iTunes 10.6
Now I have a MacPro 1,1 8GB / OSX 10.6 / iTunes 11.3
I have a limited budget and I can still run my CS2 through Rosetta on 10.6.
A new system + software is way to pricey.
My next system will be another 4-6 year old system on the cheap with included software like CS3.
But I did notice I can run Windows XP or Vista on my MacPro pretty good if needed. Virtual PC was way too slow on my G5.

I see.

My "old" iMac is a 3.5 yrs old 27" iMac, which can run the latest OS X.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
I have been on Android exclusively since the day the Nexus 4 came out. Got the Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 on day one as well. This could not be more true. And I can't wait to get off Android and move to the iPhone 6 when it comes out. Once you get over Androids customization factor, you realize it is just an ugly, inconsistent, unstable, and poorly optimized OS.

Now bring on the Android fanboys who will undoubtedly disagree and tell me how wrong I am.

I have to agree with you unfortunately. I have to use Android devices on a daily basis for testing purposes and the points you hit on all ring true for me. I'd never use an Android device as my daily driver for all the reasons you suggest. Great post.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/

Ironically, the latest iTunes runs on Windows XP SP3. You could set XP in Boot Camp up to share your Mac partition's iTunes library and sync with the device if you really wanted to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.