Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iwatch_concept_set.jpg
According to a new report [Google Translate] from Taiwan's Economic Daily News (via G for Games), Apple is planning to launch three versions of the iWatch in the third quarter of this year. The lineup is said to include a model with a 1.6-inch display and two models with 1.8-inch displays, with the high-end version of the larger size coming with a sapphire display cover for durability.

The display range of 1.6-1.8 inches has been the focus of most rumors dating back many months, but last month Reuters claimed the device's display will be as large as 2.5 inches.

The launch timeframe for the iWatch has also been the subject of much discussion, with the reliable Re/code claiming last month that Apple has been aiming for an October introduction of its "first wearable device", presumed to be the iWatch. That report did, however, note that Apple's plans could change over time.

A fresh report from relatively reliable analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has claimed that the complexity of the iWatch makes it likely that mass production on the device will not begin until November of this year. The two claims are not necessarily in conflict, as with the iWatch being a new product category Apple could make an announcement in October and not launch the device until several months later without impacting sales of its current products. Apple used a similar tactic with the iPhone and iPad, waiting several months between announcement and launch.

Today's report is set in the context of Apple adopting new touch technologies from TPK, with sources also claiming Apple's rumored "iPad Pro" with a display of 12.9 inches will finally be made official later this year. The subject of a number of rumors over the past year, Apple's 12.9-inch iPad was most recently reported to be looking at a 2015 launch or perhaps on hold entirely.

(Image: 2.5-inch iWatch concept by SET Solutions)

Article Link: Apple Said to Be Planning Three iWatch Models from 1.6 to 1.8 Inches, Sapphire on High End

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
I'll spend up to $500 on the iWatch. I mean, I spent $250 on a Pebble Steel and it can barely tell the time without freaking out/disconnecting.

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009
Personally, I don't ever think I'll need an iPad bigger than 9.7", but we'll see. Very interested in iWatch though. Love that mockup.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
At this point it's obvious Apple is throwing people off with all of these different sizes... Probably trying to weed out the leakers.

The next iPhone is one thing, but we are really in the dark about the iWearable.

But my question is, when it gets announced why don't we look back on these articles and see who was right and who was way off. That'll help with knowing who's reliable and who isn't.

Bare

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2008
People joke about Tim Cook's claim to crack down on leaks, but these "analysts" really have no idea what's going on right now, and for that, Tim should be commended.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Would make sense seeing that wrists and arms come in wildly different sizes.

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
I can't comprehend these sizes until I see them in tape mockup form...

Some help here?

Nikiaf

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2013
I really hope that isn't what it looks like. It needs to resemble an actual watch for me to not feel like an idiot wearing it.

Deedlez

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2011
UK
Having two sizes makes sense: chunky one for blokes, smaller one for girls. You see this in every watch retailer. But then having another, "pro" version of the larger watch smacks of playing to "boys with toys" consumerism.

Which of course means that I'll end up buying one. :p

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
No way. iWatch won't have a touchscreen, it'll have a 3D beamy thing giving a hologram effect like off Star Wars, all which is fully interactive. This means if you need more real-estate or add new features, it's not a problem; one of the main advantages when the iPhone didn't come with a physical keyboard. Otherwise there's no advantage to a small touchscreen; it won't add any functionality to the ecosystem. It won't be as good as an iPhone/iPad for browsing, making calls, or anything else. It'll be redundant.

My money's firmly on Apple popping in some technology 5-10 years ahead of their competitors' pipelines. If they perfect it they could easily have it running in tandem with an iPhone to make calls (much like OS X 10.10 will), without the limitations of the Galaxy Gear (crappy sluggish interface and tiny screen).

6a0120a5580826970c01a73db217e9970d-pi

Last edited:

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I'll spend up to $500 on the iWatch. I mean, I spent $250 on a Pebble Steel and it can barely tell the time without freaking out/disconnecting.

I have the original pebble and put that thing through hell. I swim in it and shower with it on. It never disconnects or fails on me :)

People joke about Tim Cook's claim to crack down on leaks, but these "analysts" really have no idea what's going on right now, and for that, Tim should be commended.

Obviously they know nothing about a product that is not in production. As soon as the production starts we see the device in full well before the release. Just look at the iphone 6. We have basically known exactly what it will look like for at least 2 months.

ScottHammet

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
Teeny iPhone

Hahahah. That mockup is the silliest thing. It looks like a shrunken iPhone pasted on a wrist band. Surely Apple has more imagination than that.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
As much as I love Apple, I have my limit as to what I would spend on a "smartwatch". Hopefully the entry level one is $250 or less.

Duelly Mark

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2014
yuk!

God, I hope it looks better than that geeky mock up!

Why not just duct tape a shuffle to your wrist? :)

bobenhaus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
Lmao you haven't seen it and you don't know it's features...

Well it doesn't make sense to have a smart watch when you will still need a phone in your pocket for functionality . What a waste of money if you asked me except for the loyalists . :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.