Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Slated to arrive sometime next month, Kickstarter-funded iStick will allow iPhone and iPad owners to easily transfer files between their computers and iOS devices that are equipped with a Lightning connector.

istick-stock-photo.png
The thumb drive, which raised $1.1 million on Kickstarter, features a slider that allows users to switch between a standard USB connector and a Lightning connector that plugs into an iPhone 5/5s or a recent iPad model. Inside the plastic housing is a flash memory module offering 8GB, 16GB, 32GB, 64GB or 128GB of storage space.

While the iStick is automatically recognized by computers as a USB storage device, the iOS file system requires users to install an app to manage files. On the iOS side, you can use the USB stick to transfer files or play them directly from the connected thumb drive.

Recode's Walt Mossberg recently tested a pre-production model and found that device transfer files as advertised, but it is not as easy to use as a basic USB thumb drive.
In my tests, iStick file transfers worked between a variety of devices, including an iPhone 5s, an iPad mini, an iPad Air, a Mac and a Windows laptop. I was able to move and use files ranging from pictures, songs and videos to Microsoft Office files and PDFs -- in both directions. [...]

The cumbersome part comes in when you want to use a file transferred to the iStick local storage area with another app on your iOS device, and it's due to the way iOS manages files, not an issue with the iStick itself. Unlike on a computer, iOS devices don't have a visible, system-wide file system. Instead, files that can be used by an app can only be fully used, beyond just viewing them, via that app.
The iStick is made by Sanho, which also produces the popular Hyper charging accessories. When it is available for retail sale, pricing for the iStick will start at $129 for the 8GB model and climb to $399 for 128GB, although Kickstarter backers who got in early were able to receive significant discounts on that pricing. The relatively high pricing is said to be related to Apple's Lightning licensing fees and its strict quality requirements.

Article Link: iStick Flash Drive with USB and Lightning Allows File Transfers Between Mac and iOS Devices

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Hmm, sounds good, may be useful, pretty good idea, Walt Mossberg likes it, sure it's not that easy transferring files on iOS, but looks OK, made by a reputable compan---$199 to $399?! :eek: :eek:

I'll stick with emailing myself everything.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
With all the cloud storage options and airdrop, why would this be a good option? Particularly at those prices?

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Awesome idea. But the prices and timing (iOS 8 and Yosemite right around the corner), I don't think this will go very far. Only those on older versions of iOS that can't or choose not to update to iOS 8, or those who have zero interest in cloud storage solutions will benefit.

windowpain

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Japan
Looks a good idea to me, but I think I would go for a wifi drive for that price.

Also (and I am not a designer) but am I correct in thinking there is always a port connector sticking out whichever way you slide it?

Doesn't seem to be the best design... not so great in a pocket or bag.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Decided against backing this for three reasons: 1. I've been kinda burned on KickStarter before. 2. The price—even for backers—was still pretty high. 3. I didn't have faith in this startup to create an elegant app to accompany the hardware. Luckily iCloud Drive will accomplish most of what this thing does, especially as internet speed and coverage increases. The only thing is we need these carriers to start lowering data prices. What good is 1TB of iCloud storage if Verizon charges my wife and I $155/mo to share 3GB between our two iPhones and my iPad? And that's with my employer's discount. Luckily I'm usually on WIFI, but not always. The other thing that will help reduce the need for something like this is AirDrop compatibility between Mac and iOS, as well as Continuity.

netslacker

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
99.00 for 128gb and I'm in, even 99.00 for 64gb and I'd probably bite; but 399.00? Uh, no.

And, 8gb is a wasted option, it's not enough space to make it worthwhile.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
I remember reading about this a couple months ago and thinking how cool it would be, until I saw the price.

The relatively high pricing is said to be related to Apple's Lightning licensing fees and its strict quality requirements.

I call BS on this one. Sure it jacks up the entry price, but doesn't explain a $270 difference between the 8gb and 128gb model when regular USB 3.0 128gb can be had for around $50.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
Would have been great for putting movies on kids ipads for road trips if it weren't for the ridiculous price.:eek: NO GO!

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
"Files" app
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/files-app/id595075818?mt=8

Transfer files between iOS device and PC/Mac over Wi-Fi or wired iTunes sync
Opens many file types within the app or to other apps via "Open in…"
$2.99

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
Just... lol.

Instead of buying this ridiculous accessory, you can do the same thing with a Jailbreak and a desktop file browser for free!

sransari

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2005
I might be missing something, but can't you transfer files from your computer to iOS device via iTunes? I have a file management app and in iTunes, there's an option to transfer whatever app I want when my phone is connected over USB or wifi.

omgwut

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2006
>pay $399 for an extra plastic thing to break and lose

>wait for iCloud Drive and the next version of Airdrop to do the same thing for free

Hmmm...

The timing kind of sucked for this product and its crowdfunding campaign didn't it?

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
The high price will deter some potential sales.

Otherwise, it's a much needed accessory for iOS. I might wait a bit until a competing "clone product" (copycat product) from the deepest bowels of China comes along and sells the same thing, at a much lower price.

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Hmm, sounds good, may be useful, pretty good idea, Walt Mossberg likes it, sure it's not that easy transferring files on iOS, but looks OK, made by a reputable compan---$199 to $399?! :eek: :eek:

I'll stick with emailing myself everything.
Hah that was exactly what went threw my head as I read along. Dead On! I even had a dumb open jawed look on my face after reading the price.

stevenmoser

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2014
Norman, Oklahoma
Good for when you

The iStick will be valuable to me as at work I cannot sync my Apple devices to my iPhone or iPad so I am forced to email everything I need to myself then check my mail from my iPhone or iPad.

This is all good and well until you need to transfer something that is over the email limit. This is where I see the iStick will come handy. Music files, large presentations that I want to work on using my iPad will by my primary use.

I backed this project mostly because of how difficult it was to transfer larger files/music between my iPhone and iPad and between my iPhone and my wife's iPhone.

In the end I cannot tell you if this is going to work for them or not, but since I will receive my iStick at a discounted rate, I thought it would be nice to have in those cases where you really need to move things quickly between devices and you are in a place where there is no WiFi and you have crappy cell service.

octothorpe8

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2014
I might be missing something, but can't you transfer files from your computer to iOS device via iTunes? I have a file management app and in iTunes, there's an option to transfer whatever app I want when my phone is connected over USB or wifi.
Anything you do with iTunes incurs a full sync, which is a pretty cumbersome way to move some files.

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
The iStick will be valuable to me as at work I cannot sync my Apple devices to my iPhone or iPad so I am forced to email everything I need to myself then check my mail from my iPhone or iPad.

This is all good and well until you need to transfer something that is over the email limit. This is where I see the iStick will come handy. Music files, large presentations that I want to work on using my iPad will by my primary use.

I backed this project mostly because of how difficult it was to transfer larger files/music between my iPhone and iPad and between my iPhone and my wife's iPhone.

In the end I cannot tell you if this is going to work for them or not, but since I will receive my iStick at a discounted rate, I thought it would be nice to have in those cases where you really need to move things quickly between devices and you are in a place where there is no WiFi and you have crappy cell service.
ios 8 is going to bypass the large file cap so idk it seems pointless now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.