Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
Can't we just get a cable plus an app that lets us transfer files from any usb hard drive to iOS device?

Cloud storage is great but there are plenty of times when i'd like to be able to access my existing local storage without needing to bring a computer along. Especially while traveling or when my computer is being serviced.

Surely an optional apple certified usb to lighting cable adapter + some app for storage (also completely optional) wouldn't be too bothersome for the 'ipad must remain as simple as possible' crowd...

PS if this already exists please let me know!

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
I like the idea of being able to simply transfer files to and from an iOS device. As it is now I find the process a bit convoluted.

As far as price this makes the Mophie Space Pack (battery case + 64GB) seem like a better deal at $250.

Last edited:

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Looks a good idea to me, but I think I would go for a wifi drive for that price.

Also (and I am not a designer) but am I correct in thinking there is always a port connector sticking out whichever way you slide it?

Doesn't seem to be the best design... not so great in a pocket or bag.

I could be wrong but it looks like if you slide the switch to the center it would leave neither port exposed.

The price is ridiculous. There are cases that do this with an extra battery backup for less. I do believe the cases don't go as high as 128gb but there is the extra battery to speak of.

Not to mention the fact that you can't have just anything on this. You won't actually be transferring files due to the way iOS works.

I can see this maybe being useful to a select number of people. For most it's far more economical and even more feature packed to use some sort of cloud solution, perhaps even the one that will be offered by apple.

FYI a 128gb thumb drive can be had fairly regularly (sale price) for about $40, exemplifying even more how overpriced this thing is.

----------

128GB @ $399! Are they f'in kinding us?!? I reaaallly don't think so Tim ;)
It's actually a ploy from Apple to show that their 128gb variant will be a "good value" ;)

----------

I call BS on this one. Sure it jacks up the entry price, but doesn't explain a $270 difference between the 8gb and 128gb model when regular USB 3.0 128gb can be had for around $50.

It also doesn't explain companies being able to sell licensed cables for $15 lol.

Jackberger

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2011
8 Years of iCloud Drive with More Capacity

$400 for 128 GB of iStick.
˜$50 for 200 GB of iCloud Drive per year without having to operate a stick.

I think I will go for iCloud for various reasons, mostly because I cannot lose it.

eagle33199

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2007
Awesome idea. But the prices and timing (iOS 8 and Yosemite right around the corner), I don't think this will go very far. Only those on older versions of iOS that can't or choose not to update to iOS 8, or those who have zero interest in cloud storage solutions will benefit.

Gee, I must have missed where the article said it didn't work with either of those OSes... wait, no, I just re-read and there's nothing there about that.

Do you think that, just maybe, someone producing a product like this might have beta test versions of the new OSes to make sure it continues to work with them? Or that they might include the ability to apply a firmware patch to the device to keep it compatible in the future? Your assumption that this becomes obsolete with the new OSes is ludicrous.

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
Last time I said that smartphones and tablets would be well served with a real USB port, I was informed that nobody would be interested. :rolleyes:

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
"When it is available for retail sale, pricing for the iStick will start at $129 for the 8GB model" :eek:

You can use DiskAid or similar free tools to transfer files. I don't see any real need for this.

ahlsn

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2013
Gee, I must have missed where the article said it didn't work with either of those OSes... wait, no, I just re-read and there's nothing there about that.

Do you think that, just maybe, someone producing a product like this might have beta test versions of the new OSes to make sure it continues to work with them? Or that they might include the ability to apply a firmware patch to the device to keep it compatible in the future? Your assumption that this becomes obsolete with the new OSes is ludicrous.

You entirely missed the point. With the new versions of OSX and iOS in the fall it will be possible to transfer big files between Mac and iOS devices with both AirDrop (that doesn't need internet access) and iCloud Drive. That is what obsolete that ridiculous expensive dumbstick.

g35

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2007
Anything you do with iTunes incurs a full sync, which is a pretty cumbersome way to move some files.

You can transfer files without syncing, as long gas your computer is not set to automatically sync devices upon plugin.

Open iTunes, click the device, click apps, scroll to the bottom, click the program, and drag your files into the box.

It also works wirelessly which is perfect for small files like Office documents, small PDFs, MP3s, or ebooks.

benedetti

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2009
USB 2
iStick-to-USB Speed: 12MB/s (Read), 7.5MB/s (Write)
iStick-to-iDevice Speed: 2.5MB/s (Read), 1.9MB/s (Write)

For this price, no thank you.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio

I wasn't referring to obsolescence, but the fact that iCloud Drive will render this device moot. And I saw this Kickstarter months ago, long before iOS 8 and Yosemite were announced. What I'm saying is the new features will be built in, and not needed to spend the extra $200+ for the stick. Unless there is something I missed.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Wow, it's awkward (requires a separate app), not just overpriced but RIDICULOUSLY so, and slower than some of the cheapest USB thumbdrives around?

What niche does this company expect to fill? It's like the worst of all worlds.

Better to put that money into a higher capacity device and just transfer data directly using USB and an app like GoodReader.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
My WebDAV server works better than this and no need for extra hardware.

All it costed me was the mac mini I already use, electricity, a VPN software server, and webdav to connect my iphone remotely wherever I am.

Digital Dude

macrumors 65816
Hmmm, based on the technology of how we transfer or otherwise access files these days I'm not sure how this would be of much value. Oh well, I'm sure it will be handy in some fashion or perhaps cross-platform compatibility but still, cloud-based access really does solve a lot of the bottlenecks that we used to have.

Drewski

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2011
Somewhere else
Last time I said that smartphones and tablets would be well served with a real USB port, I was informed that nobody would be interested. :rolleyes:

Exactly. I've been wondering the same thing for a while. The file transfer device from OSX devices to/from Android devices, however, is on sale at Monoprice for $0.84...

48681.jpg

Phyco126

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2013
I

----------

[/COLOR]
It's actually a ploy from Apple to show that their 128gb variant will be a "good value" ;)

----------

What does Apple have to do with this? They aren't manufacturing this - this completely thought up, developed, and produced by a 3rd party. All Apple did was sell the license for use of the lightning port.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
I use iFunBox to drag and drop files between iOS and OS X via a standard USB/Lightning cable. I think I might have paid like three dollars for it.

Well, in any case after getting a cool $mil+ from kickstarter, they get to pay themselves a kickstartass bonus even if they never sell a single one.

Weird world.

:rolleyes:

edit: no, it turns out iFunBox is free so I paid nothing. Cheaper than $400. lol

----------

You can transfer files without syncing, as long gas your computer is not set to automatically sync devices upon plugin.

Open iTunes, click the device, click apps, scroll to the bottom, click the program, and drag your files into the box.

It also works wirelessly which is perfect for small files like Office documents, small PDFs, MP3s, or ebooks.

Oh YES I learned something today! I didn't know this! Thank you! I've always been using 3rd party apps.

BTW just as an FYI to all you Android fans: one of the (many) reasons I dumped Android last year and went to iOS is because Google is making it near impossible to drag and drop files back and forth any more. It's actually easier now for me to move files back and forth to iOS than to Android. Go figger...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.