Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
And now, with Google's new "feature," these websites will lose access to the analytics that might convince them to abandon incompatible technologies since people with incompatible devices won't be accessing their page as often. Thanks, Google!

Maybe Google will be able to sell them the info that they are losing. :eek:

Use google analytics or some other tracking. You'll know if your numbers are down. Every web host provides that stuff.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Use google analytics or some other tracking. You'll know if your numbers are down. Every web host provides that stuff.

You missed the point. Previously, using the trackers that you refer to, a website owner would see the number of incompatible devices that try to visit the site. They could make informed decisions on whether or not to add support.

With Google's new "feature", some of these devices will no longer even visit the site, skewing the statistics.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
Good. One more step towards finishing Flash off.

----------

i took flash (and all things Adobe) off my Mac. And of course never had it on my iOS devices. If the website can figure out that they are missing business by using Flash, their days are numbered. Youtube i no longer visit because I would have to use the developer tab to set my browser to Ipad mode to get it to work. Seriously, dont mke the end user work for it -- they wont.

I use Click2Plugin. YouTube videos load in QuickTime Player. It's a huge bonus. No ads, no Flash, less screen real estate, less CPU usage, I can edit and save the video, I have video-specific view history in the "Open Recent" menu item, I can control the playback settings (speed for example), and I can move the playhead back and forth without everything unloading.

I wouldn't get rid of all things Adobe, though. Photoshop rules. Reader, of course, has never been installed on my computer and never will be.

----------

With Google's new "feature", some of these devices will no longer even visit the site, skewing the statistics.

Why the ironic quotes? This is a great feature. No more dead end Flash-based websites on my iPhone.

----------

There hasn't been a single time this year that I loaded a webpage and thought "oh s*it, I need flash to run this"

If you set Safari to ask each time to use Flash, you'd be surprised how many things want to use it for some reason. Almost every site I go to wants Flash access. Even if you say no, the site behaves the same. I think it's for third-party content running on the site, AKA stuff I want to block anyway.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
That won't happen until IE shrinks more in marketshare and google figures out how to show ads with its html5 player.

They already did that, unfortunately. I use YouTube’s HTML5 experimental feature and ads started to appear a while ago (and AdBlock won’t block them yet).

I use Click2Plugin. YouTube videos load in QuickTime Player. It's a huge bonus. No ads, no Flash, less screen real estate, less CPU usage, I can edit and save the video, I have video-specific view history in the "Open Recent" menu item, I can control the playback settings (speed for example), and I can move the playhead back and forth without everything unloading.

YouTube5 is also good for watching HTML5 video on YouTube and Vimeo where the website-native HTML5 player will not work. Personally, I only use that extension, since nearly all Flash-based usage cases are on YouTube or Vimeo. I installed the open-source Chromium (not Chrome), which comes with Flash preinstalled, for those few other cases.

anzio

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2010
Innisfil, Ontario, Canada
If YouTube just completely dropped Flash, I'm sure Flash would go away faster..

It's pretty close. The HTML5 player now works on all videos except some VEVO videos. Even ones with ads :)

----------

That won't happen until IE shrinks more in marketshare and google figures out how to show ads with its html5 player.

It will eventually happen, but not for awhile.

The YouTube HTML5 player does show ads now.

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
And now, with Google's new "feature," these websites will lose access to the analytics that might convince them to abandon incompatible technologies since people with incompatible devices won't be accessing their page as often. Thanks, Google!

You gotta rip the bandage off someday.

With the iPhone (2007), sites got the message that Flash was not ubiquitous. In 2010, they got the clear message that Flash would never be on any mobile devices from Apple. If they haven't figured it out already, I think that getting a message that they are past due in flushing their legacy tech is in order.

I just wish that GOOG would do the same thing for Java-in-the-browser.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009

Did you read the article? The new feature doesn't stop any of these users from going to the site. And if less users go to the site from Google search, then the company will surely take notice and will actually be more likely to fix their site. Many of these companies rely on Google search rankings for their company to sustain their business model. What Google is doing is kicking them in the butt to fix their site or else their rankings will suffer.

----------

Google figured that out a long time ago. My guess is they can't kill flash on Youtube until they get good enough performance with all of the browsers they want to support through html5.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK

tech moves on. This is googles way of saying catch up or get left behind

----------

You missed the point. Previously, using the trackers that you refer to, a website owner would see the number of incompatible devices that try to visit the site. They could make informed decisions on whether or not to add support.

Nope not at all. Maybe I wasn't very clear with my reply. You can still see if your numbers drop plus see my above comment.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
By "iPhone users", MacRumors means "mobile users" and by "Now" they mean "since the beginning of June". :rolleyes:

Waiting for the next article on how Google now warns mobile users of websites that redirect to the homepage which has also been around since the start of June.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
If YouTube just completely dropped Flash, I'm sure Flash would go away faster..

They have dropped it. I haven't installed flash ever on my MacBook Air and now since a couple of weeks all youtube videos play. Granted there's an add before just about every single one but that's the users putting them in not google. Remove flash you'll be suprised.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
You gotta rip the bandage off someday.

With the iPhone (2007), sites got the message that Flash was not ubiquitous. In 2010, they got the clear message that Flash would never be on any mobile devices from Apple. If they haven't figured it out already, I think that getting a message that they are past due in flushing their legacy tech is in order.

I just wish that GOOG would do the same thing for Java-in-the-browser.

Absolutely. I've been against using Flash before the iPhone made it a major issue. I just don't agree with Google's decision to take on the role of deciding whose site meets their standards. I see the potential for abuse and false positives.

Did you read the article? The new feature doesn't stop any of these users from going to the site.

Did you read my comment?

And if less users go to the site from Google search, then the company will surely take notice and will actually be more likely to fix their site.

How would they know what caused the drop? Previously, they could see exactly how many people tried to visit their site on incompatible devices and make decisions accordingly.

Many of these companies rely on Google search rankings for their company to sustain their business model. What Google is doing is kicking them in the butt to fix their site or else their rankings will suffer.

There is no indication that this would affect search rankings.

tech moves on. This is googles way of saying catch up or get left behind

That's exactly my problem. That Google thinks it's there place to say that in supposedly unbiased search results.

Nope not at all. Maybe I wasn't very clear with my reply. You can still see if your numbers drop plus see my above comment.

But they can't see WHY they dropped.

Th3taJ

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2014
Milford, NH
I hear a lot of web-developers are recreating their websites in HTML5 in replacement of Java.

This would really help...well...everything.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
That will go down as XP use lowers. IE 9 and above will go up.
I believe 9 can run on XP. It's more about corporate and similar usage where they have some policies for this or that and some weird compatibility needs or issues here and there. Once they can move on from that (which, yes, in part would likely also be moving on from XP) that's likely where a lot of the change would come from as well.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I think I'm relaying it wrong! :rolleyes:

Example: Youtube requires java to run videos. In the future I hear it won't.

Does that make sense? :eek:
Why/where would Java be needed in relation to YouTube? Do you perhaps mean Flash (instead of Java)?

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I believe 9 can run on XP. It's more about corporate and similar usage where they have some policies for this or that and some weird compatibility needs or issues here and there. Once they can move on from that (which, yes, in part would likely also be moving on from XP) that's likely where a lot of the change would come from as well.

No, IE 9 is on Vista and beyond.

I think I'm relaying it wrong! :rolleyes:

Example: Youtube requires java to run videos. In the future I hear it won't.

Does that make sense? :eek:

I don't have Java on my computer and I use YouTube just fine. I think you mean Adobe Flash.

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
Bravo, Google Team!

Flash is so annoying.

It seems weird google own YouTube possibly the biggest ofender with desperate use of flash with the sole purpose of displaying intrusive adverts. The irony is off the scale.

Flash on any platform is pointless, it's a security risk, resource hog, battery draining pile of dog poo. Apple made the choice not to include it and everyone else realised a few years later that users didn't need or want flash and preferred battery life over basically what is a advert platform.

Flash can just die already.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.