Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
http://www.cnn.com/2002/HEALTH/conditions/11/26/smallpox.vaccine/index.html

Being 38 - I've already had a the vaccine, but I'd probably need a booster if there were to be a problem. In the side bar of the article there were some interesting stats.

* The last natural smallpox case was in Somalia in 1977.
* Vaccine effective if given within 4 days of exposure.
* Vaccine does not contain the smallpox virus.
* Vaccine is made from a virus called vaccinia.
* 15 per million vaccinated experience serious complications.
* 1-2 people per million will die from vaccine.
* Most Americans under 30 haven't been vaccinated.
* 1 case is considered a public health emergency.
Source: CDC

In the last century alone, smallpox claimed the lives of 500 million people.

If he's been agonizing over going through with this, I wonder how much of a threat it is?

D

vixapphire

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Los Angeles
Sadly, I think the agony, if any, results from the threat of litigation, not the actual amount of risk from the vaccinations themselves; the numbers show that it's negligible.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Its comforting to know that they have enough vaccine for every man, woman, & child now. Having seen photo's of Smallpox case's, would not give it a 2nd thought.

I still have the Smallpox scar on my left upper arm. My understanding is that I would need the new vaccine, since the virus have evolved.

My wife is a visiting nurse, good chance that she will be getting the vaccine in the near future.

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
i was reading some small diary thingy from back when i was a baby (about illnesses and such) and i remember it saying something bout me having small pox or something (i think) back when i was only a few months old :S..hmm

BenderBot1138

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2002
A bird in the hand...

Bush is a Skull, a member of a secret organization that believes it's members must distinguish themselves by engaging in a large WAR (like randomly picking Middle Eastern countries for example).

The Vacination program is just his way to misdirect attention away from public events occuring. Everyone is affraid of needles, so if he sticks it to everyone, he'll be able to create public attention away from his more dictator like activities.

I love George Bush, it's just his behavior that sucks.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by vixapphire
Sadly, I think the agony, if any, results from the threat of litigation, not the actual amount of risk from the vaccinations themselves; the numbers show that it's negligible.

Very true - just a few deaths from the vaccination and people will be up in arms. But how to put a price of human life, even if its small vs the potential for massive amounts of death - its not an easy decision.

D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.