Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
When your phone is turned off, texts still come trough after you switch it back on and if people are not smart enough to leave a quick message on voice mail, they should just not call you in the first place, or just try again later if it's that important.

Sometimes, it's quite healthy not to be reachable for a while. ;)
Understood, I was just mentioning that based on the OP the desired outcome that was being sought is a state where nothing comes through except for calls and texts (not that they could be checked later, but that they actually come through). This particular scenario, while certainly a valid one and a good one for situations of this sort, wouldn't quite address the part about calls and texts coming through unfortunately.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
In similar situations I just use the do not disturb option and check it every so often when I take a break.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Understood, I was just mentioning that based on the OP the desired outcome that was being sought is a state where nothing comes through except for calls and texts (not that they could be checked later, but that they actually come through). This particular scenario, while certainly a valid one and a good one for situations of this sort, wouldn't quite address the part about calls and texts coming through unfortunately.
Thinking a little more about this, it does seem that short of using Do Not Disturb that would only allow calls through and not texts, one of the solutions to only limit things to just calls and texts would be to do what was proposed in one of the first few replies:
It would be nice to be able to disable all notifications easily.

As a workaround for now, for your situation the easiest thing to do might be to turn off mobile data and wifi, that should stop nearly all notifications (you may have some local scheduled notifications) whilst allowing calls and texts to come in.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
sounds like you should just pay attention to class/studying and worry about talking to people when youre done :confused:

For all you know, he's working on a group project and needs to be in touch with the other students.

Just because you don't seem to find issue with his problem doesn't mean that it isn't a legit issue for some.

Heck, I have a family friend in the hospital that I'm waiting to hear the status updates on. Sucks that there's no way to silence my phone and still allow texts to go through. Either it vibrates for every email and alert or I have to activate DnD and constantly check to make sure I haven't missed anything.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
sounds like you should just pay attention to class/studying and worry about talking to people when youre done :confused:
Who cares? Does this deal with the question that was asked? No, it's rather irrelevant and pointless. :rolleyes:

Serelus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Vm9pZA
Unfortunately not, since I would have to switch that 3-5 times a day... which means, going to Settings and playing with it 6-10 times a day. In a long term it would be annoying.

Thanks anyway

I don't mean to be rude, but I find you to be a little nitpicky. Technology has only come so far. Are we really at a point where having to switch something on and off a few times a day is too much work.

Maybe it's me, I struggle the same way with people who literally want access to all apps from the lockscreen, because having to unlock the device everytime is too much of a hassle...

Freezorro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2012
Technology has only come so far.

Really? Google Glass, Google cars with no steering wheel, printing organs, space travel... and we can't have something which is more like an additional feature to already existing "technology"?

I was hoping that maybe someone knows some app I can test out, or someone has some tips. I'm not asking anyone to invent a new iPhone which will wipe your butthole.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Really? Google Glass, Google cars with no steering wheel, printing organs, space travel... and we can't have something which is more like an additional feature to already existing "technology"?

I was hoping that maybe someone knows some app I can test out, or someone has some tips. I'm not asking anyone to invent a new iPhone which will wipe your butthole.
So what's not working out with Do Not Disturb for this kind of thing?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.