Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How often should a new iPhone be introduced?

• Twice a year (every six months)

Votes: 32 15.2%
  • About every nine months

Votes: 22 10.4%
  • Once per year

Votes: 132 62.6%
  • About every 18 months

Votes: 25 11.8%

• Total voters

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Yea. faster chip, better camera, basic stuff. They didn't even have the new design.
The iPad 3 is clearly completely outdated and no longer works after this.
I know you're trying to be funny with your last remark, but it just kind of falls short when you say the spec updates were minor and say what you said about the design not being changed.

You just keep on believing there is pretty much no difference between the 3 and the 4 due to lack of design change :D

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
I know you're trying to be funny with your last remark, but it just kind of falls short when you say the spec updates were minor and say what you said about the design not being changed.

You just keep on believing there is pretty much no difference between the 3 and the 4 due to lack of design change :D

I'm sorry, forgot that Apple did in fact completely change the design...by using a Lightning connector.

If this was the iPhone, it would have been basically a 'S' version. Faster chip, better camera, etc.

A6X chip
FaceTime HD camera
Lightning connector
Improved LTE and Wi-Fi

Did I miss anything?

iPad 2 to iPad 3 was the big jump. There's no reason for any ordinary person to upgrade their iPad 3 to the iPad 4. The differences aren't worth the money unless you just want the "latest and greatest". In fact basically every site that reviewed the iPad 4 (iMore, MacWorld, Wired, Gizmodo) (just did a quick Google search).

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
I'm sorry, forgot that Apple did in fact completely change the design...by using a Lightning connector.
What are you on about? Have I even come close to saying they changed the design? What I'm saying the lack of change in design is not the least bit relevant.

If this was the iPhone, it would have been basically a 'S' version. Faster chip, better camera, etc.

A6X chip
FaceTime HD camera
Lightning connector
Improved LTE and Wi-Fi

Did I miss anything?
It depends, are you still claiming these are "minor spec bumps"? Then yes, you're still missing the point.

But if you acknowledge the difference in having a chip that doubles the performance, the switch to an HD FaceTime camera and international 4G-support (instead of having to pay fines for false advertising), then no. But in that case, you've changed your opinion.

iPad 2 to iPad 3 was the big jump.
Double the RAM and retina display. Performance wise, they're scoring about the same. The iPad 4 on the other hand absolutely crushes the 2 and 3 by scoring over twice as high in Geekbench (around 750 for both 2 and 3 vs. over 1700 for 4). It's fantastic that you're calling 2->3 a big jump and 3->4 a small spec bump... Or ironic. Whatever.

silversurfer91

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2014
Personally, I don't like the "s" upgrades. I'd rather wait a few more months and get an iPhone that is radically different from its predecessor.

silversurfer91

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2014
The "S" models have brought the refined experience and additional functionality...

3GS
Voice control
Digital compass
Nike+
Volume controls on earphones

4S
GLONASS support
Siri voice assistant

5S
TouchID

I realize this. I'm just saying that I would rather see significant overhauls of the iPhone instead of introducing models with "refinments". They are essentially releasing a "new" iPhone every 2 years.

CPx

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2013
They need to keep the buzz going so it cannot be any less frequent than once a year. I also don't think it needs to be any more frequent than once a year, because that would be crazy. So my answer is once a year. :)

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Once per year. However be sure to jam as many bells and whistles, patents they've won into the iPhone

imanidiot

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Once a week, because I'm so into phones and I'm stupid and I'm easily bored. Com'on Apple, innovate! You haven't radically overhauled anything since last month! Waaaaa! Samsung owns you. Waaaa! Your stuff is so stale! Waaaaa!

"Here we are now, entertain us
I feel stupid and contagious
Here we are now, entertain us"

etc., etc., etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.