Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swampfox201

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
I had an ipod touch before and loved the way it handled my email. My email is from our DSL provider so its not yahoo, hotmail, ect. Using my ipod touch I could view my emails or trash them and when I went to my computer they would still be there ready to download. Now using my iphone when I view an email and trash it its never there when I hit get mail on my computer.

Also using my ipod touch when I viewed an email then later download the same email on my computer it would stay on my ipod touch. Now whenever I download my email on my computer it empties my iphone inbox.

The email settings on the ipod touch and iphone are exactly the same. Why are they handling things differently? I don't get it?

Frustrated :mad:

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
What kind of email account?? If a pop3 account you have to go to the advanced settings and under Delete From Server set to Never.

That way your computer will handle deletions.

swampfox201

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
What kind of email account?? If a pop3 account you have to go to the advanced settings and under Delete From Server set to Never.

That way your computer will handle deletions.

Yes it is a pop3 account. Using Thunderbird on my computer. I can't leave them on there forever as I am only allowed so much space and after a week everyone gets an mailbox full message.

I don't think that's it anyway cuz the ipod touch and iphone both handle it differnently right now with the settings as they are in thunderbird.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Set your computer email reader to delete from the server when you delete the email and set the iPhone to never delete. This is a very common setup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.