Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is facing a class action lawsuit in California over a number of alleged Labor Code violations, with the company being accused of not providing timely meal breaks, timely rest breaks, and timely final paychecks, reports TechCrunch.
Plaintiffs bring this Class Action against Defendants to recover for, among other things, failure to provide meal and rest periods, failure to furnish accurate itemized wage statements, and failure to pay timely wages on the end of employment, interest, attorneys' fees, penalties, costs, and expenses on behalf of themselves, the Plaintiff Class, and the Plaintiff Subclasses.
Originally filed in December of 2011 by four former Apple retail and corporate employees in San Diego, the lawsuit was certified as class action yesterday and could affect up to 20,000 current and former Apple employees in the state of California.

apple_retail_employees.jpg
According to the filing, which demands a jury trial, employee complaints cover a wide range of possible labor code violations. One complaint, for example, cites employees having to work for five hours straight without a meal break, while another complaint suggests that Apple took several weeks to send out a final check to multiple employees.

The lawsuit asks for compensatory damages and restitution of all monies due to affected employees from unlawful business practices, along with interest, but it does not specify a damages amount.

Along with this new class action lawsuit, Apple is embroiled in a class action lawsuit with Apple retail employees who allege that Apple's bag checking policies have resulted in lost wages, a suit that also accuses Apple of violating state labor laws.

Article Link: Apple Facing Class Action Lawsuit From 20,000 Employees Over Alleged Labor Code Violations

Bayshun

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2014
Just about every major retail company goes through this. It looks like it's Apple's turn.

iCore24

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2013
Michigan
You would think a company with 170 billion dollars in the bank and makes a butt load of money every quarter would pay and treat there employees very generous$$$

Reactions: tridley68

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
what are they going to get? a couple hundred bucks after taxes? doesn't seem like its worth the head ache.

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
but how come at every genius bar, the Apple genius guy is always super duper happy to fix my I-could-have-just-Googled-the-solution problem?

Oracle1729

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2009
what are they going to get? a couple hundred bucks after taxes? doesn't seem like its worth the head ache.

But how else can a handful of slime-ball lawyers walk away with $200 million for a year of work?

US mass tort law is a bad joke.

macducky313

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2014
These claims sound ridiculous. I don't sympathize with Apple employees at all. I have worked at Target for a couple of years and let me tell you I prefer to have not taken my meal break if they just leave me alone and not yell at me for making sure my department was properly zoned at the end of the night. 5 hrs and no break? Sorry Apple sweeties but just about every restaurant I've worked at has forced their servers, bus boys, and cooks to work without a break until the very end of their shift. That's life. You should be privileged to be standing behind a desk and looked up to for advice by customers and only have to deal with one at a time. Try working for Target where during the holidays you have to pick up the phone, try to cash out customers, and not have their kids opening boxes or steal. Ugh, Apple employees and their first world probs.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

And yet they have apparently violated some parts of the Labor Code.

----------

These claims sound ridiculous. I don't sympathize with Apple employees at all. I have worked at Target for a couple of years and let me tell you I prefer to have not taken my meal break if they just leave me alone and not yell at me for making sure my department was properly zoned at the end of the night. 5 hrs and no break? Sorry Apple sweeties but just about every restaurant I've worked at has forced their servers, bus boys, and cooks to work without a break until the very end of their shift. That's life. You should be privileged to be standing behind a desk and looked up to for advice by customers and only have to deal with one at a time. Try working for Target where during the holidays you have to pick up the phone, try to cash out customers, and not have their kids opening boxes or steal. Ugh, Apple employees and their first world probs.

The employees didn't come up with the Labor Code...

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
Wow, no meal for 5 hours?? What's the world coming to??

Such an overly litigious society made up of ungrateful cry babies.

Reactions: tridley68

brewcitywi

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Typical

Every company, big or small, goes through things like this. In this case, the things that apple allegedly did wrong seem a bit trivial.

Bjb568

Nov 18, 2012
And yet they have apparently violated some parts of the Labor Code.

----------

The employees didn't come up with the Labor Code...

Meh... I don't see anything an ice cream cone can't fix. Boo hoo, little spoiled kids and their labor laws.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
1) 5 hours without a meal break? Ooooooooh nooooooooo

2) 2011? Wasn't this during Browett's term, when all the cut backs were going on?

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Along with this new class action lawsuit, Apple is embroiled in a class action lawsuit with Apple retail employees who allege that Apple's bag checking policies have resulted in lost wages, a suit that also accuses Apple of violating state labor laws.

Article Link: Apple Facing Class Action Lawsuit From 20,000 Employees Over Alleged Labor Code Violations

Lost wages? You mean like how my Apple store manager sister have caught and fired employees stealing stuff in their bags?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.