Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

According to 9to5Mac, Apple is putting the finishing touches on iOS 8 in advance of a September iPhone and iOS 8 launch event. Based on current projections, Apple is unsurprisingly tentatively planning to hold this iPhone-oriented event in mid-September. In line with previous reports, Apple is said to be aiming for a second product launch event in October for the iWatch and OS X Yosemite.

iphone_5s_6__side_grass.jpg
iPhone 5s with mockups of 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch iPhone 6 models
Similar to other recent September events, Apple is reportedly planning to focus on only iOS 8 and the iPhone 6 in this year's September event. While the 4.7-inch iPhone will headline the presentation, the debut of the 5.5-inch model is still uncertain as it is further behind the 4.7-inch model in both testing and manufacturing.
These people say that the second and third weeks of September are the mostly likely weeks for the event to be held, but they add that manufacturing uncertainties could alter the event's timeframe. A decision has not been finalized, and sources made it clear that the plans are in flux.
This information aligns with an earlier report that suggests Apple may push off the 5.5-inch model until 2015.

The report claims iOS 8 is on track for its public release this fall, with a fifth and final beta version expected on Monday, August 4, although a separate report from BGR claims a sixth beta is planned for Friday, August 15. A golden master version may debut a few weeks later at the end of August or early September. As rumored, dual-screen multi-tasking for the iPad and Maps improvements are still in the works, but these features are not expected to be available at launch and would come in a later iOS 8 update.

Following the September event, Apple also is planning a second event in October that will showcase the iWatch, Apple's entry into the wearables market. This late fall event also will be used to discuss OS X Yosemite as well as unveil new iPad models. The iPad update is expected to be a modest refresh with hardware additions such as Touch ID and a faster A8 processor.

Article Link: Apple Planning Mid-September Event for 4.7-Inch iPhone 6, Timing of 5.5-Inch Model Unclear

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm more interested in the larger iPhone - so I have to hold my breath and wait :(

joshwenke

Suspended
Mar 26, 2011
They better have a media event where they release lots of stuff. If not... we'll be waiting AGAIN!

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Too much iPhone, iPad, iWatch in that article. Where are the redesigned MacBooks that we heard a rumor about? The stuff that matters.

andrewjaques

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2014
I'd wager that they stagger their releases slightly like they did with the 5C and 5S. 4.7 inch first, then 5.5 inch. Seems their style.

Side note: "mostly likely"? My inner English-Nazi wants to physically educate people who do that. It's supposed to be "most likely".

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Honestly, if the 5.5 is really "real" and Apple does not announce it with the 4.7" version, than don't bother holding off for it because you will wait at least a year.

I suspect that Apple will release it along with the iPhone 6S next year and call it iPhone 6A. I highly doubt Apple will screw it's customers over after 2-3 months and release a 5.5" iPhone without at least announcing them simultaneously together.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
I still don't expect to see the 5.5 inch iPhone until 2015.

I don't either. Apple always holds back something so people will be compelled to upgrade the next time around. If they come out with a 4.7" this year and then a 5.5" the following year imagine how many people will upgrade again the following year? That's how Apple makes tons of money.

Too much iPhone, iPad, iWatch in that article. Where are the redesigned MacBooks that we heard a rumor about? The stuff that matters.

If you took a moment to review Apple's last operating results you will notice that the iPhone matters A LOT more then the Macs do at this point. It's over half the entire corporations revenue at this point!

Last edited:

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
2015 for the 5.5" will likely be too late for me.

EDIT: In my opinion at least announcing it's existence will go a long way into keeping the folks who want 5"+ waiting vs. defecting to Android.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
I still don't expect to see the 5.5 inch iPhone until 2015.

I cosign. I think the 5.5, if it happens, will have its own release cycle, at least in the beginning.

Just like Samsung has a 6 month gap between Galaxy S and Galaxy Note

marvz

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin

The new MacBooks are probably delayed because Intel missed their own timeframe for Broadwell chips.

Nikiaf

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2013
Wow, one page of comments and not a single person denying the existence of the 5.5" iPhone. We're making progress!

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
The end of the iPhone conference:

"But there is one more thing..." :eek:

"A 5.5" iPhone...." :D

----------

Wow, one page of comments and not a single person denying the existence of the 5.5" iPhone. We're making progress!

Can you even deny the existence of something that doesn't exist!? :D

Just joking, I actually still think the 5.5" is coming.

jhwalker

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2011
I like the *idea* of the 5.5" iPhone, but I really don't think it will fit in my pocket - my current iPhone 5 is "pushing it".

I can see a *slightly* bigger phone being OK (and welcome), but I can't imagine carrying around a 5.5" "phablet" in my pocket :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.