Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following an earlier report on the launch of the iPhone 6 and iOS 8, 9to5Mac has released a second report with details on OS X Yosemite and Apple's fall Mac plans. As has been previously mentioned, OS X Yosemite will launch in October, following iOS 8's September release alongside the iPhone 6.

The final Yosemite Developer Preview is expected to be seeded to developers on September 29, with a final golden master build coming around October 10, which suggests a late-October public launch date for Yosemite.

os_x_yosemite_roundup.jpg
October will also see the potential introduction of the iWatch, as has been widely rumored, and Apple may also be planning to unveil several new products designed to promote Yosemite, including a smaller 12-inch MacBook with a high-resolution display and a new desktop computer, which may be an iMac or a standalone monitor with a 4K resolution screen.

Along with providing a few details on the desktop Retina machine, 9to5Mac's report echoes several details on the 12-inch MacBook previously shared by rumor sites, suggesting it will have a Retina display and a "thinner and slightly lighter aluminum body."
Apple believes that this new Retina MacBook will be a significant step forward in the laptop industry, and it is currently unclear if Apple will label this machine as a smaller MacBook Pro, a new MacBook Air, or as an entirely new line.

While it is possible Apple will market the aforementioned 4K desktop as a "Retina" machine, the technology for true pixel-doubling of the current 27-inch iMac and Thunderbolt Display's 2560 x 1440 resolution is not ready for market.
9to5Mac's sources indicate the 12-inch Retina MacBook and the iMac are on pace to ship in late in the third quarter or in the fourth quarter, but could be pushed back to early 2015, which is in line with recent rumors about the 12-inch Retina MacBook. A report has suggested the notebook's launch will be pushed back due to continued Broadwell delays.

Rumors have also long focused on a possible Retina iMac and/or a 4K display, and back in June, hints of a Retina iMac were found in the OS X Yosemite beta. Less has been said about a potential 4K display in recent months, but an update to Apple's Thunderbolt Display is long overdue.

Along with new Macs, Yosemite's introduction may also include updates to both iMovie and Final Cut Pro to improve support for video captured with 4K cameras.

Article Link: OS X Yosemite to Launch in Late October, 12-inch Retina MacBook and 4K Desktop in the Works

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
A 12-Inch rMBP would be so insanely random. It would be appropriate to introduce retina MacBook Air's in 12'' & 14'' inch sizes.

12'' Air, 13'' Pro, 14'' Air & 15'' Pro.

Last edited:

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I so want 12" retina MacBook rumor to be true, along with 4K monitor (which I think should be 21.5" and not 27", but I will take what I can get).

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
Problem with a 4k iMac is the H Broadwell will not be available until mid 2015 and the U series is a mobile chip that only produces UHD.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
I was just bemoaning the possibility of a lack of new iMacs. I really hope for something new this fall. I'd be all over a retina screened 27" iMac, even if it's not true pixel doubling. A new Mac with improved video and some other tweaks like Thunderbolt 2 would be the cat's fuzzy butt.

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
I'd never buy a 4K iMac in 2014. I'd wait until at least the second iteration to have a graphics card that can handle it as well as the GPU's in the 2013 iMac's running 1080p/1440p.

Takuro

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
I called this from the moment I began using the OS X Yosemite developer preview. The choice of font Apple made is clearly intended for use on retina screens, which means they're going to offer a "retina" (or 4k) option for the iMac and will use this same panel in a new Thunderbolt display.

I'll even go step further with my prediction and will say that the display will support the new Thunderbolt 2.0 spec, making it a very viable choice for professionals who use the Mac Pro for content development. This will close the obvious gap in Apple's current product portfolio -- I trust they aren't exactly super keen that they currently have to list other manufacturer's 4k displays on their website in the interim. By Q1 2015, they should at least have an offering planned of their own.

The final step is to refresh their product lineup with video cards that support 4k, so that even people with Mac Minis are not left out of the fun. ;)

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I called this from the moment I began using the OS X Yosemite developer preview. The choice of font Apple made is clearly intended for use on retina screens, which means they're going to offer a "retina" (or 4k) option for the iMac and will use this same panel in a new Thunderbolt display.

I'll even go step further with my prediction and will say that the display will support the new Thunderbolt 2.0 spec, making it a very viable choice for professionals who use the Mac Pro for content development. This will close the obvious gap in Apple's current product portfolio -- I trust they aren't exactly super keen that they currently have to list other manufacturer's 4k displays on their website in the interim. By this time in Q1 2015, they should at least have an offering planned of their own.

MacRumors: where analysts are born. :p

(^and where smart-alecky remarks are a dime a dozen)

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
The only new product I want from Apple is the only product that gets no love. Gimme a new mac mini:mad: At this point in time, I would even settle for a mac mini rumor.

There are plenty of creative people in this forum. Can one of you whip up a nice mac mini rumor to assuage my feelings of neglect?

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Problem with a 4k iMac is the H Broadwell will not be available until mid 2015 and the U series is a mobile chip that only produces UHD.

Does that mean if I was to hook my 2014 MBA 13'' up to a 4k display, I wouldnt get the full 4k resolution?

Because thats my dream, don't crush my dream. :(

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
The only new product I want from Apple is the only product that gets no love. Gimme a new mac mini:mad: At this point in time, I would even settle for a mac mini rumor.

There are plenty of creative people in this forum. Can one of you whip up a nice mac mini rumor to assuage my feelings of neglect?

Rumor: The Mac Mini will be discontinued.

It'll be displaced by the Mac Pro for when you need a headless Mac, and by a refreshed Apple TV with an app store when all you need is a simple home media server.

There, are you satisfied?

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Would love a 4K iMac, but I'm probably going to wait until the new Intel chips next year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.