Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

safari.jpg
Apple has seeded developers with new versions of Safari 7.1 for OS X Mavericks and Safari 6.2 for OS X Mountain Lion as works continues on OS X Yosemite. In its release notes for both betas, Apple is asking developers to test AutoFill for passwords and credit cards as well as general website compatibility and extension compatibility.
Focus Areas
- Please focus testing on the following areas:
- Please test password and credit card AutoFill.
- Please test general website compatibility.
- Please test extension compatibility.
Apple also once again touts support for WebGL, which was included in prior seeds and allows users to view 3D content without the use of plug-ins. Safari 7.1 for OS X Mavericks and Safari 6.2 for for OS X Mountain Lion are expected to be released in the near future. Meanwhile, the company's public beta for OS X Yosemite launches tomorrow, July 24.

Article Link: Apple Seeds New Builds of Safari 7.1 and Safari 6.2 to Developers

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
It's good to continue to patch any issues and vulnerabilities even while working on Yosemite. It does seem interesting that they stuck WebGL in this. Maybe just a way of getting some experience ahead of the larger Yosemite release.

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
With WebGL support in both Chrome and IE (11), I look forward to Safari supporting the technology. And WebGL in iOS Safari (8) could lead to some very interesting development in mobile gaming.

Mr. Wonderful

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2009
Any word if this fixes the issue where Safari gets stuck loading 1/3 of the way through the progress bar?

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
Did they fix the issue were Safari and it's tabs can freeze when swiping back on a trackpad?

I've had to do several PRAM resets, and it comes back within minutes. Rather annoying not being back to just swipe back.

pedromcm.pm

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Porto, Portugal
Any word if this fixes the issue where Safari gets stuck loading 1/3 of the way through the progress bar?

Issue? Why are you speaking like if it was an widespread problem? Maybe, just maybe, you have a ****** connection and/or use apps like transmission, that when open always still your bandwidth. No?

Did they fix the issue were Safari and it's tabs can freeze when swiping back on a trackpad?

I've had to do several PRAM resets, and it comes back within minutes. Rather annoying not being back to just swipe back.

What does PRAM have to do with it? In what way are they even remotely connected? Just force quit Safari, but clean the cache. It works amazing for me.

I just use Chrome because of my Android device. But Safari just keeps getting ahead of the pack. Difficult choices.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Does Safari 7.1 include the performance enhancement that Safari 8 has? The improvements in webkit?

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
What does PRAM have to do with it? In what way are they even remotely connected? Just force quit Safari, but clean the cache. It works amazing for me.

I just use Chrome because of my Android device. But Safari just keeps getting ahead of the pack. Difficult choices.

A PRAM reset is what Apple support recommended.

None of what you suggested has worked. The only time i get maybe one or two back swipes is after a PRAM reset. Resetting or force quoting Safari only removes the freeze, it doesn't let me swipe back.

pedromcm.pm

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Porto, Portugal
A PRAM reset is what Apple support recommended.

None of what you suggested has worked. The only time i get maybe one or two back swipes is after a PRAM reset. Resetting or force quoting Safari only removes the freeze, it doesn't let me swipe back.

What happens when you click the "back" arrows?

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2009
Issue? Why are you speaking like if it was an widespread problem? Maybe, just maybe, you have a ****** connection and/or use apps like transmission, that when open always still your bandwidth. No?

Did you have to be that rude to him? He asked a genuine question and did not deserve a rude response like that.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Why not just release Safari 8? Actually they should do auto updates like everyone else.

I noticed that Chrome and FF have Web Components support and Safari does not even in these newer version. They need to get on the ball with these so we can get them tested on live sites.

pedromcm.pm

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Porto, Portugal
Did you have to be that rude to him? He asked a genuine question and did not deserve a rude response like that.

It wasn't my intention to being rude.Those were genuine questions two. Sorry. Those things happened to me.

----------

Back arrows work, swipe with magic mouse also works. It's just trackpad swipes. Rather aggravating and annoying.

And in Chrome? Does the back swipe work?

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
It wasn't my intention to being rude.Those were genuine questions two. Sorry. Those things happened to me.

----------

And in Chrome? Does the back swipe work?

Yes, as I said and asked. Is the problem fixed with safari. Simply typing into google back swipe and safari brings up a lot of results with the same issue.

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
Glad to see support but I wonder how updating the older version effects the Yosemite version. Also insert snappier joke here.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
Nope same issue. The page back animation starts, freezes half way and then I need to close safari. Easily the singular most annoying bug in Safari for me. :mad:

Odd that I can't replicate it (not that I disbelieve you). You said it works fine when using your magic mouse, does this invoke the same "page-moving-to-the-side" animation? (I've never owned one, but I'd assume it does)

As far as I know, resetting NVRAM wouldn't do anything more than a restart would (bluetooth or integrated).

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
Odd that I can't replicate it (not that I disbelieve you). You said it works fine when using your magic mouse, does this invoke the same "page-moving-to-the-side" animation? (I've never owned one, but I'd assume it does)

As far as I know, resetting NVRAM wouldn't do anything more than a restart would (bluetooth or integrated).

Yup, magic mouse invokes the page swipe animation and works fine. With the trackpad the animation gets stuck halfway. After which the only thing the trackpad can do in Safari is left click and move the cursor. The tabs are all frozen.

grundoon

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2013
I was under the impression that Safari does auto-update through the App Store. Is it not included with "system data files and security updates"?

Not for everyone, that's for sure...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-24 at 9.05.43.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-24 at 9.05.43.png
    172.7 KB · Views: 237
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.