Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pvmacguy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 2, 2009
Jax
Anyone ever done any tiling? I have a bathtub/shower combo and looking to do a little upgrading to it. Right now it has 3 walls of tile that go 3/4 up to the ceiling. I'm thinking about upgrading the tile to something newer and extend to the ceiling.

My question, where the tile stops now it is just painted drywall board. It doesn't get wet right now just steamy from the hot water. Would that be ok to tile over, or would I need to cut out that drywall and replace with backerboard?

Thanks!

Zh2

macrumors member
May 21, 2011
In a house in England.
Hi,

1. Replace it. It will almost certainly have absorbed moisture. When tiled over, it will dry out and begin to crumble. Better safe than sorry!

2. When you come to putting the new tiles on. Pre-weight the shower tub / floor with the approximate weight of a human being. Use old towels or cardboard to protect the unit and then add the weights. Many people forget to do this - Its all tiled up and grouted. It looks superb. As soon as you step in there, you break the grout seal and allow water in.

Cheers.

Z.

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...
Anyone ever done any tiling? I have a bathtub/shower combo and looking to do a little upgrading to it. Right now it has 3 walls of tile that go 3/4 up to the ceiling. I'm thinking about upgrading the tile to something newer and extend to the ceiling.

My question, where the tile stops now it is just painted drywall board. It doesn't get wet right now just steamy from the hot water. Would that be ok to tile over, or would I need to cut out that drywall and replace with backerboard?

Thanks!
Take it all out and put backboard in. You will either need a plastic membrane behind the backerboard or something over it. I suggest putting the backboard up without plastic behind it and then painting on something like RedGard. Follow the directions and then you can tile right over it.

DO NOT use "green board" is the water resistant and made to use in bathroom areas but not in a shower area itself. I guess you could technically use it if you were going to use RedGard but still, I would stay away from the stuff in area with constant water from a shower/bath.

Hi,
2. When you come to putting the new tiles on. Pre-weight the shower tub / floor with the approximate weight of a human being. Use old towels or cardboard to protect the unit and then add the weights. Many people forget to do this - Its all tiled up and grouted. It looks superb. As soon as you step in there, you break the grout seal and allow water in.
You should not be grouting the area between the tub and tile anyway. A 100% silicon caulk should be the only thing in that area. Same goes for the vertical changes in plane, use caulk there also.

pvmacguy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 2, 2009
Jax
Take it all out and put backboard in. You will either need a plastic membrane behind the backerboard or something over it. I suggest putting the backboard up without plastic behind it and then painting on something like RedGard. Follow the directions and then you can tile right over it.

DO NOT use "green board" is the water resistant and made to use in bathroom areas but not in a shower area itself. I guess you could technically use it if you were going to use RedGard but still, I would stay away from the stuff in area with constant water from a shower/bath.

You should not be grouting the area between the tub and tile anyway. A 100% silicon caulk should be the only thing in that area. Same goes for the vertical changes in plane, use caulk there also.

Drywall in a shower? What kind of builder did this?

Thank you for all that information! It will greatly help me. I am wondering though, when I look at the tile now. I question if they laid backer/green board on top of the drywall and then tiled over becuase the tile around the edges finishes with a bull nose as if the area is thicker than the wall above the tile.

As far as drywall in the shower, I'm pretty sure thats standard with large condo construction where it would have cost too much to bring the tile to the ceiling. But I will say, the HOA I'm on there we sued the developer for shoddy construction.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Hi,

1. Replace it. It will almost certainly have absorbed moisture. When tiled over, it will dry out and begin to crumble. Better safe than sorry!

Cheers.

Z.

I agree. Replace the shower stall walls with a shower rated drywall/board, before re-tiling. The OP might be surprised what he discovers behind the walls, but even if no leaks, it's prudent to start fresh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.