Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Late night talk show host Jimmy Kimmel covered Apple's upcoming smart watch on last night's show, airing a humorous segment that featured the team showing pedestrians on Hollywood Boulevard a $20 Casio watch with an Apple sticker on the back.

The people were told the cheap watch was Apple's new smart watch and predictably, Kimmel's team received some hilarious reactions. "It's very lightweight and it's kind of like old school, but still in style, you know?" said one woman, and a man complimented its rubber wrist band and the big numbers, which are "easy to see."

Featured interviewees were all impressed with the watch's ability to show the time and the date, and several noted that they were willing to purchase anything Apple made. "I just like that it has an Apple insignia on the back," said one commenter. "If it's Apple it's good, right?" said another.

Kimmel also had some quips to share about the upcoming larger-screened iPhone 6, claiming Apple was introducing the larger device so it could debut a smaller "iPhone mini" in the future. "They make the bigger phones, and then in two years they'll release the iPhone mini, which is the size of the phones we have now," he joked. "And we'll wait in line for like three days for it because that's how we are."

Article Link: Apple's iWatch Already a Hit, Even When It's a $20 Casio Watch

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
Cringe worthy to be honest but it goes to show you the base Apple has built with its fans. They would buy anything Apple makes.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Cringe worthy to be honest but it goes to show you the base Apple has built with its fans. They would buy anything Apple makes.

And why exactly do you think they would buy anything Apple makes? Because Apple repeatedly puts out very good stuff relative to the competition and they have come to expect it from Apple. Since Apple doesnt have a habit of just throwing *** against the wall to see what sticks and because of their track record of making great products, a reasonable and logical person can expect that when they do something, it's good... because that's been their extensive experiences with Apple thus far.

That's what makes you a lifelong fan of companies like Apple, Dyson, BMW, and similar companies who actually give a **** about what their company stands for and the products they put out.

And that's what makes for a long lasting brand... not marketing. Marketing can only get you in the door. The experience the customer actually has with your product is what establishes your brand and gets you fans who are pretty much ready to buy whatever you make. They pretty much know you'll deliver because they've already experienced it. This is what is known as logic and common sense based reasonable expectations.

Last edited:
Reactions: foxkoneko

GoodNewsNobody

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2012
Horribly Scripted

This is more fake than a iPhone Mini, my friend and I were asked to participate in one of these for JKL in December. I declined but my friend played the role. They let you ad-lib a bit but basically they tell you what they want your reactions to be. I am so tired of these fake reaction clips. :mad:

Last edited:
Reactions: foxkoneko

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
These are always funny :p

I doubt it is a set up, these are real people I bet

When you ask enough people the same question, you're going to get a few stupid responses that are perfect punchlines for the joke you set up. It's all editing.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
You can also ask people where Alaska is and you will get some people saying in the middle of the ocean. I live in New York and I have came across people who didn't realize Manhattan was an island. People in general are stupid.

NSeven

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2009
Scotland
So they are claiming that these are apple products.. do they have permission to use the logo? get ready to be sued.. maybe that will make you think again before trying to take the mick.

Hope they suffer.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013

Actually those are not Apple base fans. Those are just regular, buy anything trendy people. With no real knowledge of Apple.

Apple base fans would already know what products Apple has.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
You know, maybe it's a set up.:rolleyes:

Yeah, this one definitely appears to be "people playing along." Whether it's actually "scripted set up" or not, I don't know. But a few of them certainly are not-all-that-successfully suppressing a smirk.

I'm assuming they only "really" fooled 1-2 people, and they were boring, so they went with the people who had figured the gag out but played along.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009

One of the dark secrets of late night talk shows is their function as public survey trails. Carson was king at this pitching his monologue and skits between celebrity interviews to gauge public response. I would not be surprised of Apple was in the loop of this to see public response of an iWatch.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Apple Computers is having a good week...​

I love it when entertainers read jokes and talk about things as if they know what they are talking about, but are just reading someone else's lines. I wish Apple Computers all the best... until Apple Inc. sues them for trademark infringement that is:D

----------

I would not be surprised of Apple was in the loop of this to see public response of an iWatch.

I would be surprised. Apple would never want to associate its brand with rubbish like that...

Mcdevidr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2013
And why exactly do you think they would buy anything Apple makes? Because Apple repeatedly puts out very good stuff relative to the competition and they have come to expect it from Apple. Since Apple doesnt have a habit of just throwing *** against the wall to see what sticks and because of their track record of making great products, a reasonable and logical person can expect that when they do something, it's good... because that's been their extensive experiences with Apple thus far.

That's what makes you a lifelong fan of companies like Apple, Dyson, BMW, and similar companies who actually give a **** about what their company stands for and the products they put out.

And that's what makes for a long lasting brand... not marketing. Marketing can only get you in the door. The experience the customer actually has with your product is what establishes your brand and gets you fans who are pretty much ready to buy whatever you make. They pretty much know you'll deliver because they've already experienced it. This is what is known as logic and common sense based reasonable expectations.

I Agree but where on earth do you find reasonable and logical people?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.