Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Today marked the first day of Apple's public beta testing program for OS X Yosemite, letting thousands of non-developers download the software for the first time. With so many new users, new issues and bugs in the beta are coming to light and being catalogued in our Yosemite forum.

We've pulled out some user reactions from the forums to share, along with some tips on troubleshooting possible issues. For users having problems with the beta, the Yosemite forums can be an invaluable resource, and for users still debating whether or not to install the beta software, make sure to check out this post and our forums before taking the plunge as Yosemite is still somewhat unstable.

First Impressions
A lot of new Yosemite users think that the operating system looks great. According to one user, it makes Windows and Mavericks look antiquated in comparison with its new focus on translucency and clean lines. A "Yosemite is Beautiful" thread is full of praise, with users calling it "stunning" and "the best OS X has ever looked."

yosemite_macbook_air.jpg
While there are a lot of Yosemite users who like the changes Apple's brought to Yosemite, there's a much longer complaint thread entitled "Yosemite Looks Terrible" that includes complaints about Dark Mode, "crappy" fonts, and the bland look of the translucency. Users also say Yosemite looks far less appealing on a non-Retina display.

yosemitedarkmode.jpg
Yosemite's Dark Mode, screenshot from Yosemite forum thread

Thus far, most users have not noticed significant performance improvements going from Mavericks to Yosemite, but that could change as Yosemite is still very much in a beta form.

Bugs and Issues
A lot of users have received an error message suggesting their Yosemite codes had already been redeemed after requesting a code. According to Apple, simply refreshing the beta page will provide an entirely new code.

One new Yosemite user who installed the operating system on a partition discovered that Yosemite may cause problems with partitions. Other users have also reported issues with partitions after installing Yosemite, while some have had no problems at all. The linked thread contains some Terminal fixes for users experiencing issues.

There's a lengthy bug thread on OS X Yosemite that has been added to throughout the beta testing period. Some remaining bugs include poor management of dual iTunes accounts, crashes in Activity Monitor, making and receiving calls with the FaceTime app, and unreliable WiFi connections. Problems with specific apps are listed in a separate thread, but some issues include frequent crashes with apps like Spotify and Microsoft Office. Apps like Final Cut Pro X, Aperture, iMovie, and Pixelmator also do not appear to be fully functional.

Handoff and Continuity
For users who have the iOS 8 beta installed on their iOS devices, MacRumors forum member Armen has put together a detailed walkthrough on how to set up Continuity and Handoff, new integration features introduced with the two new operating systems. Continuity appears to be largely functional for users with compatible machines, which have a Bluetooth LMP version of 0x6. Handoff does not appear to be working with 2011 MacBooks, but those machines do appear able to access SMS texts and phone calls.

New Features
New Yosemite users and those who are thinking about installing the beta should also check out the OS X 10.10: All The Little Things forum thread that details all of the lesser-known changes made to Yosemite throughout the beta testing period thus far to get familiarized with the operating system. For example, the latest developer preview introduced an entirely new version of iTunes, a new calculator app, and more.

Installation
Users who signed up for the public beta program can access promo codes to install Yosemite through the beta program website. Apple has also been sending out emails to those who have been selected to beta test Yosemite.

Apple recommends Yosemite be installed on a secondary machine as it is beta software, but users who do not have a secondary machine may want to install the operating system on an external drive or on a separate partition. OS X Daily has a set of instructions that walk users through both scenarios, explaining how to install on a partition or external hard drive. A MacRumors forum member has also explained how to create a bootable USB installer.

OS X Yosemite is expected to remain in beta testing until October, with new versions being seeded to both Appleseed participants and developers. Public beta test members will not, however, get as many updates to the software as developers.

Article Link: OS X Yosemite Beta: First Impressions, Installation Tips, Known Issues, and Bug Fixes

jji7skyline

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2011
Looking forward to trying it out - haven't got any emails from Apple yet though :/

Just got the email! Will download now :D

Last edited:

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
iTunes 12 is running much faster than 11. The scrolling on the album view is finally as smooth as it was with iTunes 10 and the whole thing is more responsive.

But still, it's not a rewrite.

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
Why did they bother with all this Dark Mode stuff when they could have just copied F.lux? It would have been so much simpler.

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
Generally, the beta will have debugging overhead not present in the release version, so it's almost guaranteed that the release version should be faster.

WB2Colorado

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2008
Durango, Colorado
If you're going to be installing Yosemite on your main machine, which I don't suggest you do, you should do a clean install, and then only restore the apps and documents you absolutely NEED to have (For example, I only restored my iTunes and iPhoto library from my Time Machine backup).

I did a clean install because my HD was almost full, and so was my external drive, so I couldn't create another partition. Plus I haven't done a clean install since I first installed Lion and I have messed with some system files that you shouldn't mess with over the years, so I figured a clean start was necessary. Your milage may vary, of course.

If you're not the type of person that likes to mess with system files then you will probably be okay installing Yosemite over Mavericks.

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
Is macrumors honestly suggesting that the final version of the software could be slower than the beta? Generally, the beta will have debugging overhead not present in the release version, so it's almost guaranteed that the release version should be faster.

No, where does it say that?

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
Nowhere, I'm tired, and possibly retarded, and read the headline as saying that users had noticed performance improvements.

Aha. No worries, was just wondering if I wrote something wrong somewhere!

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
It'll take awhile to grow on me I guess, but the interface is certainly beautiful especially on a retina display.

Hookemfins

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2013
Florida
Download was fast and the installation was smooth on late 2012 Mac Mini.

Only hiccup so far was the initial connection to wifi. Also getting a few more beach balls than Mavericks.

Chatter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Uphill from Downtown
Here is the obvious - please do NOT mess with a beta release on your main computer or if you dont know how to resolve partition issues if/when they occur.

I know this is a "duh" but there already are people whining about how things are "messed up" on some forums. :eek:

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
How Apple went from getting more and more elegant and refined with their UI design, to more bland, cluttered, illegible... first iOS, now OSX?

wtf is going on over there, and is there any way of stopping it?

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
Will my computer run more efficiently and faster?
Never mind that....check out the "new look".

Sigh...sometimes I miss 10.6.8.

With Snow Leopard, Apple said out of the gate that SL was all about working off bugs and making the OS run better. With SL there were no new features, no new "look", and (thankfully) no social media emphasis. Everything was about speed and efficiency. SL was by far, my favorite version of OS X to date.

Bigads

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2012
Here
k1121j's With regards to Safari full screen mode, simply press the green traffic light, top left, as that has been changed to full screen function.

Took me a while to realise.

Love the look of Yosemite and have been impressed with how it has run in the couple of hours I have had it going. Just need to think about IOS8 on my 5s to get handoff, etc. working.

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
Also on the new Safari... Zooming is insanely smooth unlike the last version which would blur & pause content. Also new formats are available as Youtube's HTML 5 resolution variety has been bumped up.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
"Yosemite looks terrible"

Imagine that, on Complaint Central otherwise known as MacRumors, there are people being negative about Apple products. Never saw that coming. :rolleyes:

OllyNorton

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2014
Powerpoint Trouble

Been trying it out this evening, first impressions are pretty good. I really like the new design. That said Microsoft office 2011 is really quite unstable at the moment especially Powerpoint which loads and crashes instantly pretty much every time.

It's a Beta so these things are to be expected but it does prevent me from using it more fully in it's present state and hence not really contributing to the beta testing. Will continue to use on the laptop and see if I get any other errors, but it's a long way from prime time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.